Reds fire Bryan Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds fire Bryan Price

Good riddance. For a guy with a reputation as a pitching guy, he has constantly led this Reds staff to underachieve. Combine that with the horrendous lineup decisions and mishandling of the bullpen, it couldnt happen soon enough.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Well, I don't know that you can say that pitching staff underachieved...I think that they were just plain horrible. The guys with actual talent did OK, Iglesias and Castillo, but that's a hot mess of crappy pitching there. Add in the fact that he was saddled with Hamilton, who is essentially Herb Washington, and he never really had a chance. Not that he didn't deserve to get fired, but...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Well, I don't know that you can say that pitching staff underachieved...I think that they were just plain horrible. The guys with actual talent did OK, Iglesias and Castillo, but that's a hot mess of crappy pitching there. Add in the fact that he was saddled with Hamilton, who is essentially Herb Washington, and he never really had a chance. Not that he didn't deserve to get fired, but...
      talented arms like Reed, Lamb, Stephenson, Lorenzen have all not developed into anything useful at this point. The arguement could be made the scouting sucks and they never shouldve been drafted in the first place but it was Price's job to hone the ability and he didnt.

Saddled with Hamilton as what? Hamilton is either an 8 hitter with superb speed and defense or he is a 4th OF. The fact that Price insisted on using him at leadoff only further shines a light on his ineptness.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        talented arms like Reed, Lamb, Stephenson, Lorenzen have all not developed into anything useful at this point. The arguement could be made the scouting sucks and they never shouldve been drafted in the first place but it was Price's job to hone the ability and he didnt.

Saddled with Hamilton as what? Hamilton is either an 8 hitter with superb speed and defense or he is a 4th OF. The fact that Price insisted on using him at leadoff only further shines a light on his ineptness.
        I'd guess that management was behind a few of those decision, just to try to make them look better...I don't share your opinion on Hamilton, but that's why we play these games. The guy has a career OBP of under .300, that's horrible for a speed guy who should be able to slap his way to a .270 average, and the corresponding rise in OBP.

But, I hope for your sake that they find the right guy, and get some of the talent up to speed...I'd deal Votto off for whatever they can get too.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I gotta side with Hammer on this one. Admittedly, my database is much more limited than his, but the Reds bullpen management - to be most charitable - is below average. Starting pitching, despite some talented arms, has been a disaster. There's hitters that have been criminally overused (Hamilton in leadoff, for example), and criminally underused (Eugenio Suarez, until this year).

OTOH, as a Brewers fan, I hope they find someone who's his equal.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
          X