MLB in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    It’s criminal that MIN built that new park without a retractable roof. Criminal.
    ^this
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

You guys know that it historically rains a lot in April, right?
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        You guys know that it historically rains a lot in April, right?
        does it snow a lot as well?
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          does it snow a lot as well?
          Not typically, this is very unusual and not something you can anticipate. Are you suggesting that teams in the north play on the road for the first month of the season? Unless they are going to shorten the season and start in May this is just what's going to happen.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            Not typically, this is very unusual and not something you can anticipate. Are you suggesting that teams in the north play on the road for the first month of the season? Unless they are going to shorten the season and start in May this is just what's going to happen.
            I am suggesting for the first two weeks of the season, teams in the northeast be either in the south, west or domes as much as possible and for those times its not possible, northeast games should be played in the day and night at night where its 10-15 degrees colder.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

... apparently playing in domes isn't necessarily the answer either as the Jays-Royals game may be postponed today in Toronto due to ice falling off the CN Tower onto the roof of the Rogers Centre (and apparently scaring the crap out of people inside or nearby)

Last edited by TranaGreg; 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

My car had a 1/4" layer of ice on it this morning. In the east end of Ottawa, there were hydro poles snapped in half. Driving around there were ice chunks blowing off power lines and trees. Wild stuff.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I've been out of power from an ice storm since Saturday. I'm about 10 min from Comerica Park. This is not normal.
                  One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    ... apparently playing in domes isn't necessarily the answer either as the Jays-Royals game may be postponed today in Toronto due to ice falling off the CN Tower onto the roof of the Rogers Centre (and apparently scaring the crap out of people inside or nearby)
                    When you walk around in downtown Toronto, wear your hard hat

Surely, this has happened before, right (large chunks of ice falling of the tower)? If it can punch a hole thru a solid steel and concrete roof, this has to be potentially life-threatening. What has been discussed before about this issue and what if anything has been done about it?

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      Or one of these:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post

Surely, this has happened before, right (large chunks of ice falling of the tower)? If it can punch a hole thru a solid steel and concrete roof, this has to be potentially life-threatening. What has been discussed before about this issue and what if anything has been done about it?
                        The roof has steel girders but the material covering is some kind of vinyl/plastic (I should look that up) ... while ice falling off the tower has happened before it's surprisingly rare (I can remember warnings maybe 2 or 3 times over the past 20 years). And it's never hit the Rogers Centre - that was also a function of the crazy strong easterly winds that we've had the past few days.

Yes, there have been concerns about it being life-threatening - they've closed off the public pathways around the site & the tower itself has been closed to tourists the past couple of days. I saw a pic of a van parked nearby that had its roof smashed in. But all seems to be getting back to normal ... now if I could get power back at home on I'd really appreciate that!!! (it's been out since Sunday evening).

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Or one of these:
                        nice! love the argos reference!
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

fyi, MLB is reading this thread

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...MBL-sched.aspx

Major League Baseball is making adjustments to its 2019 master schedule as a result of the historic run of poor weather and game postponements this month in the Northeast and Midwest.

The developing shifts in next year’s schedule primarily involve concentrating games in April and September, where the threat of weather postponements is highest, to intradivision matchups. Those games, typically involving teams that play each other 18 or 19 times a year, allow for easier rescheduling since the road clubs make multiple trips to the home market during the course of the year.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                          X