MLB in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
    Funny to see empty seats behind the dugout and people sitting 20 rows back.

Also, the vendor on foot was funny. Just sit down and pass the beers down the row.
    1. There is always a good reason for the rows behind the dugout. Every park I have been to, and not been in the nose-bleeds, has "dugout" level seats that cost a fortune and things like ushers to get you food and drink from the concession stands. Nobody can walk into those. But yeah, usually, the ones behind them nobody cares, you can usually see where that is by some of the crowd.

2. As for April, this always happens. For the reasons mentioned by others (not fair to the dome/warm places to be on the road way more the rest of the year) and the other one--there are not enough of the warm/dome teams and given the imbalanced schedule, too many games have to be played between cold weather teams to avoid them all at the start of the year. Also, all those teams need a home opener in the first week or two. It is a logistical nightmare; you just have to hope and reschedule.

Comment

My hitters don't like the cold weather as they freaking suck!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Looks like we'll lose the entire series here in Minnesota, more than a foot of snow forecast in April! Oh yeah, 40 MPH winds as well.

The good thing is that the Twins are playing the White Sox, so making up the games shouldn't be an issue. The bad thing is that 3 off days just got filled up, or one of those shitty split double headers is going to get scheduled.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          1. There is always a good reason for the rows behind the dugout. Every park I have been to, and not been in the nose-bleeds, has "dugout" level seats that cost a fortune and things like ushers to get you food and drink from the concession stands. Nobody can walk into those. But yeah, usually, the ones behind them nobody cares, you can usually see where that is by some of the crowd.
          In Toronto, that section is called "in the action". Pop, ice cream, food...I can't remember if beer too but probably not. Cost a fortune. I sat there for 3 or 4 games over the two play off runs the Jays had. Gerard Butler was sitting in front of me one game. Geddy Lee was around for another. I was row one vs Texas one game. DeShields and Choo were standing in front of me. I spoke to Delino, told him I really enjoyed watching his father and it was nice to see him carve his own path. Gave Choo the customary Korean greeting (my wife is korean). Choo just looked at me without changing his facial expression, very focused and serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Looks like we'll lose the entire series here in Minnesota, more than a foot of snow forecast in April! Oh yeah, 40 MPH winds as well.

The good thing is that the Twins are playing the White Sox, so making up the games shouldn't be an issue. The bad thing is that 3 off days just got filled up, or one of those shitty split double headers is going to get scheduled.
            It’s criminal that MIN built that new park without a retractable roof. Criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              It’s criminal that MIN built that new park without a retractable roof. Criminal.
              I agree wholeheartedly, but the Politicians wouldn't fund a retractable roof, and the owners (Pohlads) were too cheap to do so out of their own pocket.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Cubs score 9 in the 8th to beat the Braves 14-10.

Cold, rainy, windy. Game should not have been played. They will be talking about this one for years.

Comment

Cubs, once they got to 10-10, scored their next 4 runs on 2 bases-loaded walks and a 2-run wild pitch (by two different relievers!)

tough to score 9 runs on 3 hits, lol
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Giants president Larry Baer stated that he always pushes to have the Giants start out on the road so that they can end up at home more often late in the season
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

feel sorry for the vendors like the one in the picture...not many tips on a day like this
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Four more games canceled today. And maybe one more tonight.

NYY @ DET (game 1 & maybe game 2)
                        ATL @ CHC
                        TOR @ CLE
                        CHW @ MIN
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Four more games canceled today. And maybe one more tonight.

NYY @ DET (game 1 & maybe game 2)
                          ATL @ CHC
                          TOR @ CLE
                          CHW @ MIN
                          Up to 6 games canceled at this point. MLB needs to do something about it, this just isn't acceptable to anyone.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Up to 6 games canceled at this point. MLB needs to do something about it, this just isn't acceptable to anyone.
                            Six games now canceled with game 2 of NYY@DET and LAA@KC. Plus STL@CIN now has a long rain delay. So it could end up being seven.

edit: Reds and Cards now under way.
                            Last edited by madducks; 04-15-2018, 03:11 PM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

it's tough, this weather certainly isn't normal for mid-April; I normally take my snow tires off by the last week of March or first week of April, but yesterday I was driving past guys spinning out on the highway ... by mid-week things look to be be a bit more normal.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

absolutely killing some more than others in H2H leagues.
                                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                                X