MLB in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB in April

For the life of me, I cannot understand why baseball is played in the Northeast in the first two weeks of the season. Put teams out west and in domes as much as possible for the first two weeks and all games that must be played in the cold should be day games. There is nothing less enjoyable than players playing in the cold with ski masks on and there is nothing less enjoyable than fans watching these games. Horrendous planning.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    For the life of me, I cannot understand why baseball is played in the Northeast in the first two weeks of the season. Put teams out west and in domes as much as possible for the first two weeks and all games that must be played in the cold should be day games. There is nothing less enjoyable than players playing in the cold with ski masks on and there is nothing less enjoyable than fans watching these games. Horrendous planning.
    Totally agree. Went to a Nats game and it was 35°. Having lived in AZ for the past 15 years it felt like -35°.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

re-tractable roof.

problem fixed.
      I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Although, I'm certainly in agreement with you, in principle, this would mean that harsh weather teams would have a higher percentage of their home games late in the season. I'm sure there are many people that would see that as an advantage.

If they broke the season into thirds, where in the first third most games are played in warm places and domes, and the second third is played mostly in cold cities, leaving the last third to be more balanced, I suppose they'd be okay with that.

There are probably other reasonable excuses I can't think of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          Although, I'm certainly in agreement with you, in principle, this would mean that harsh weather teams would have a higher percentage of their home games late in the season. I'm sure there are many people that would see that as an advantage.

If they broke the season into thirds, where in the first third most games are played in warm places and domes, and the second third is played mostly in cold cities, leaving the last third to be more balanced, I suppose they'd be okay with that.

There's also a monetary factor in play here. Teams prefer as many home games as possible in that second portion - weather is better for baseball, but kids are also out of school. Attendance is higher, so gate $ goes up in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post

The main other reason that I've heard is that ALL teams want as many good weather, summer games as possible for the walk up fan traffic. Shockingly, it's about money, who knew?

So MLB has to parcel the games out firly, even though the weather is horrible...looks like we'll get over 10 inches of FUCKING SNOW this weekend in Minneapolis, so the whole weekend may be snowed out.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              There's also a monetary factor in play here. Teams prefer as many home games as possible in that second portion - weather is better for baseball, but kids are also out of school. Attendance is higher, so gate $ goes up in the summer.
              You're just a smidge quicker...LOL.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Even in warmer weather states April games, other than opening day, are sparsely attended so those teams don't want to always have to host the Northern state teams, for monetary reasons. So it rotates each season. The Red Sox played the first week in Florida then came up here, but it was still cold. What happened to this global warming thing? Shouldn't it be hot in April by now? maybe Trump fixed it. :kidding:
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  You're just a smidge quicker...LOL.
                  Brevity, the soul of wit

Comment

The Cubs Monday afternoon home opener against the Pirates was postponed due to 35 degree temperature plus snow & wind. But, on the other side of town the White Sox decided to tough it out. Most of their fans did not share the same enthusiasm. Although attendance was "officially" listed as over 10,000, the actual number of fans at the game was reported to be 974. A ball hawk's dream come true.

Last edited by madducks; 04-13-2018, 12:31 PM.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

it always amazes me to see people sitting in the middle of no where when its that empty.. walk down to a "good" seat.. no one will care
                      I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

79 and mostly sunny in Pittsburgh today, but the Pirates are on the road.

Comment

love PNC park.. great ticket

Comment

Originally posted by [echo] View Post
                            love PNC park.. great ticket
                            My favorite. It's a shame because we may not have 10 days better for baseball this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by [echo] View Post
                              it always amazes me to see people sitting in the middle of no where when its that empty.. walk down to a "good" seat.. no one will care
                              Funny to see empty seats behind the dugout and people sitting 20 rows back.

Also, the vendor on foot was funny. Just sit down and pass the beers down the row.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
                              X