Red Sox/Yankees Brawl...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox/Yankees Brawl...

Sems funny that this hasn't received any comment here, considering the high profile of both teams, but it was a pretty typical baseball fight. Started with Tyler Austin going in spikes high to 2nd base, and then Joe Kelly plunking Austin in the back his next AB. Relatively benign, but Austin appears to have a lot of the Red-Ass in him. He started mouthing off to Kelly, and Kelly just told bring it on...Austin charged, Vasquez did little to stop him, Kelly did a matador move and took Austin down. He threw a few forearms (not punches, apparently Kelly's not stupid), and then all sorts of silliness took place.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

The Red Sox are lucky that Judge is a gentle giant.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Sems funny that this hasn't received any comment here, considering the high profile of both teams, but it was a pretty typical baseball fight. Started with Tyler Austin going in spikes high to 2nd base, and then Joe Kelly plunking Austin in the back his next AB. Relatively benign, but Austin appears to have a lot of the Red-Ass in him. He started mouthing off to Kelly, and Kelly just told bring it on...Austin charged, Vasquez did little to stop him, Kelly did a matador move and took Austin down. He threw a few forearms (not punches, apparently Kelly's not stupid), and then all sorts of silliness took place.

Interesting take. I'm not a fan of either team but I didn't think the slide was out of line at all and was surprised Holt took exception to it. Kelly nailed Austin with a 97 MPH fastball. He seemed to slam down the bat and take a couple of steps to the mound and then Kelly said something and he charged. I really can't fault Austin.

Comment

Every take that I've read from ballplayers and ex-ballplayers is virtually unanimous. The slide was out of bounds...spikes high, not acceptable. And it was almost the same with the Kelly pitch...hit the guy where he should have been hit, sides even, let's play ball. But Austin wouldn't have it, then Kelly yelled, and it was on.

Personally, I think all baseball fights are essentially funny and harmless, but the code is written deep in the game. I didn't play the game at any high level, but I get that these guys are following the history of the game, and it's never going away.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

i was watching the reds game to see castillo pitch but the reds announcers kept doing this memory lane thing so i switched to sox. to the yankees announcers credit, when the spike thing happened, and they reviewed the play, they said 'this sort of thing gets taken care of on the field later.' i don't think Tyler Austin really meant to spike him with one foot that much, and the yes network guys weren't saying he should be plunked.

they should have a testosterone meter on the side of the screen right before everyone flips out. it's great theater. i don't really blame anyone.

Aaron Judge is awesome. he's turning into one of my favorite players. if you have Gardner on your team you have to feel good having Judge hitting behind him. watching Judge vs Sale he changes his approach at first and hits a single or two and then hits a HR later.

you have to keep an eye on Gary Sanchez in these things or you'll get punched in the face when pinned to the ground. in the video i think he's one of the first yankees being grabbed.

Aaron Judge definitely back up everyone. and he got between Kelly and the rest of the yankees.

Kelly's fastball was 97.7 in a bad spot. right on the oblique. if you're going to hit someone you should just plunk them in the ass, like Pedro did to Alomar.

in summary, the yankees are big.

Comment

Seems like Sonny Gray legitimately hit Hanley by accident in the first inning today. Let's see what comes of it.

Comment

Working...
            X