Padres-Rockies Brouhaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padres-Rockies Brouhaha

Nice little melee between the Pads and Rox today. After losing Margot to a rib plunking last night and Renfroe (who hit the game-winning homer last night) getting thrown at and hit on the wrist today, Perdomo retaliates and throws behind Arenado. Arendao takes exception and charges the mound and a good time is had by all. I'd expect Arenado to get a game or two rest. Same as AJ Ellis (but no one will miss him)

Was that Mark McGwire?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Yes -- that's him at the end talking to Arenado.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
        Yes -- that's him at the end talking to Arenado.
        Yeah, that was pretty heated between them.

Comment

You have to love Perdomo throwing at Arenado and then when Arenado charges the mound, he throws his glove at Arenado and back-pedals almost all the way to third base. He needs to watch some Nolan Ryan video, apparently.

Comment

The glove throw was a good pitch.

Comment

Nolan Ryan was legend. Gets charged, stands ground, and manhandles the raging kid who was 1/2 his age. I saw Mcgwire in video clip above, and he looked shrunk. I recall him being a behemoth in his playing days, as large as a WWF Hulk Hogan only with bigger guns. Now he looks like an older guy who wears compression socks to control his varicose veins in his legs, bit sad to see.

Comment

That didn't look right McGwire is/was 6'5" and Arenado is listed at 6'2". Did McGwire lose 3 inches because he didn't look to me he was towering over Arenado.

Comment

Tyler Austin also charged mound in Yankees-Red Sox and then punched a Sox coach in the head

the season has begun!
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                    Nice little melee between the Pads and Rox today. After losing Margot to a rib plunking last night and Renfroe (who hit the game-winning homer last night) getting thrown at and hit on the wrist today, Perdomo retaliates and throws behind Arenado. Arendao takes exception and charges the mound and a good time is had by all. I'd expect Arenado to get a game or two rest. Same as AJ Ellis (but no one will miss him)
                    I notice the Trevor Story beaning didn't make it into your narrative, nor AJ Ellis' yapping at Nolan when he walked up to the plate in the first inning. My take:

1) It sucks that Margot got hit and hurt by Oberg the night before - clearly unintentional. Oberg reached out to Margot after the game and apologized. But the idiot Padres came to the park the next day looking for a fight, so...
                    2) The Padres hit Trevor Story in his first AB. An intentional beaning in retaliation for an accidental HBP. Whatevs. Everybody should have let it go at that point. But...
                    3) The Rox apparently felt that the intentional beaning was an inappropriate overreaction, so, "eye for an eye" time. Renfroe got plunked.
                    4) Then it was on. Arenado got plunked, said "Enough of this sh!t," and went after the punk who came after him and his teammate.

It just seems dumb that one unfortunate incident blew up into that mess. Maybe there's more history to it than I know.

Afterthoughts:

Naughty behavior all around. The Rox need to be the grown-ups and put a stop to it - we're actually playing for something, and we don't need to lose a key player scuffling with these bottom feeders.

German Marquez is not smart. The team is struggling, he's firing a 1-hit shutout, and he gets tossed for throwing punches in a melee. We needed you out there, dude - check your emotions and put the needs of your team first next time.

Gerardo Parra is even worse than Marquez. Marquez just got caught up in it; Parra was out there purposefully throwing gasoline on the fire. Stop instigating, you're going to get one of your teammates hurt out there.

What an embarrassing little bitch Luis Perdomo is - hits two guys, then runs away and throws his glove when one of them steps up to him. Pussy.

Mark McGwire, STFU. We don't need baseball's worst steroid cheat giving anybody lessons on how the game should be played. You'd think this ass would be too ashamed to show his face on an MLB diamond, much less be out there giving lectures.

On a positive note, the Rockies' listless offense erupted for five runs immediately after the Arenado beaning, so maybe this'll be the spark they need to get rolling.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Update: Apparently some Padres fans think the Rox are after them because of a few HBP's in the previous series. To that, I'll just say: Sorry, Jon Gray and Scott Oberg can be crazy wild when their mechanics are off. They're not headhunters, just pitchers who have lousy command sometimes. I get that the Padres don't like their players getting hit. If they feel the need to retaliate for a spate of unintentional beanings, an 88 MPH fastball to the thigh might be appropriate. Coming in on the hands and the upper body with heat? Maybe not so much.

As for pretending the earlier beanings were intentional... stop it. Reality check: Why would we? Do you really consider your team such a scary threat this year that other teams feel the need to take out your players?

I assure you, no one else does.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Arenado gets five days, Parra four, and Perdomo five.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                        X