Judge Jude's Annual Anatomy of an Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Jude's Annual Anatomy of an Auction

so in my 35th season in this league, I walk in with this at 10 freezes for 152 units:

SP Alex Wood 5-S1
    RP Corey Knebel 2-S1
    RP Hector Neris 1-S1
    C Yadier Molina 13-O
    1B Adam Duvall 15-L1
    2B Anthony Rizzo 42-O
    OF Bryce Harper 41-O
    OF Adam Eaton 18-S1
    OF Tommy Pham 10-S1
    OF Nick Williams 5-S1

1-game eligibility for Rizzo and Duvall feels great. even a cursory glance shows that the bulk of my 108 units remaining figure to go to SPs.

HERE WE GO

CLAYTON KERSHAW 42 - First pitcher nominated, and I am very pleased. deGrom - 2nd-best available - goes a little later for 45. All is right with the world. NEED 12 for 66.

Wait, where did that peace of mind go? Sat out almost 2 rounds, and could not believe the prices. I want one more quality SP to pair with Kershaw/Wood - and don't get it. After not freezing Maeda for 19, I freeze when my archrival bids 18 - and lose out. Also came in second on bidding for Bumgarner who went for 21 (dammit). C-Mart for 32, Quintana for 30, Darvish for 30, Lester for 28, Cueto for 26, Arrieta for 22, RHill for 21, Foltynewicz 16 (!), Mikolas 13 (!). Guess I have to zag rather than zig today.

EVAN LONGORIA 15 - So tired of just staring at the board, which makes a fella's trigger finger itchy. Not really a fan, but buys like Bruce 28, CDickerson 23, Fowler 20, Frazier 19, Owings 16, Dietrich 13 make me hate it a little less. NEED 11 for 51.

JACOB REALMUTO 13-DL/Francisco Pena - Risk of a trade to AL, but I would get 13 FAAB units and we can only buy AL arrivals. So crap shoot. I'm ok with this. NEED 10 for 38.

CARLOS GONZALEZ 14 - I got nothing, other than a sinking feeling that I may not be able to spend my units. Guh. NEED 9 for 24.

HOWIE KENDRICK 8 - After sitting out for a couple of rounds, that feeling has strengthened. Howie returns for yet another season with me, a buck cheaper and off to a strong start. NEED 8 for 16.

JOEY LUCCHESE 4 - Um, the sun got in my eyes. Or something. Staring at a 2-man SP rotation this deep into an auction can do terrible things to a man. I heard a voice call out "4," then realized it was ME. NEED 7 for 12.

HUNTER PENCE 6 - What a predicament. Sure, he's fading, but 6? Worse guys are going for double that. I can make a profit here, but also net a loss. Why? Because now I am at a dreaded NEED 6 for 6 while looking at a board where an extra unit or two can really net better players.

KIKE HERNANDEZ 1 - I used up all 3 of my passes, but still struggled to find someone who wouldn't be poached. Qualifies at SS, I don't have one yet, and he can hit lefties. NEED 5 for 5.

CALEB SMITH 1 - Hey, there's my 4th starter? Wait, what? NEED 4 for 4.

PAT VALAIKA 1 - Anyone who can fog a mirror is getting bid. When in doubt, sneak a versatile Rockie past the hordes, I guess. NEED 3 for 3.

DAN STRAILY 1-DL/Edubray Ramos - Well, THAT'S a little better. Should be back soon and had a quiet 176 K last year. And ERamos is a little insurance for my cheap Neris. NEED 2 for 2.

JEREMY JEFFRESS 1 - Speaking of injury, my 6-for-6 predicament took Barnes off the table for me to back Knebel. Instead, it's this dart (and later, Albers for Knebel). NEED 1 for 1.

PAT NESHEK 1-DL/AJ Ramos - Really good spot again to hedge by buying a DL guy, and more Neris insurance. We have no bench, but now I have extra 'pen pieces. DONE.

FULL ROSTER

SP Clayton Kershaw 42
    SP Alex Wood 5-S1
    SP Dan Straily 1/ERamos
    SP Caleb Smith 1
    SP Joey Lucchese 4
    RP Corey Knebel 2-S1/Matt Albers
    RP Hector Neris 1-S1
    RP Pat Neshek 1/AJ Ramos
    RP Jeremy Jeffress 1

C Yadier Molina 13-O
    C Jacob Realmuto 13/Francisco Pena
    1B Adam Duvall 15-L1
    3B Pat Valaika 15
    13 Pat Valaika 1
    2B Anthony Rizzo 42-O
    SS Kike Hernandez 1
    2S Howie Kendrick 8
    OF Bryce Harper 41-O
    OF Adam Eaton 18-S1
    OF Tommy Pham 10-S1
    OF Carlos Gonzalez 14
    OF Hunter Pence 6
    UT Nick Williams 5-S1

HQ has me taking the title (always my goal) by 7 points - winning HR and RBI and ERA, plus 2nd in R, AVG, Ratio. worst category? Ks, with only 2 points.

Davenport has me 3rd overall, but also winning HR and RBI and taking the Ratio title. they kill me in Ws, but have me only 5 out of 5 more points. that can be finessed....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Kershaw, what a steal! Nice write.
    Sounds like you would like a do-over with the picks following Kershaw.

Comment

It has been too long for me to remember, but I assume this is 12-team NL only. In that case, your team is solid, but the pitching has some issues---especially if you have a minimum IP--your top two are great, but aren't exactly 200+ IP types. Pitching went for too much everywhere (as I have lamented on far too many times), but an interesting team.

One other question---I thought your league was severely old school---but it apparently has 1 game eligibility from last year? I don't remember that from the old books I bought from the original roto guys in the 80's, lol.

Comment

- yes 12-team 5x5 NL-only

- no minimum IP, and I can trade for innings/stats if I contend

- 1-game eligibility is for THIS YEAR. 15-game minimum from the previous year (most leagues have 20, but I could swear the original 1984 book had it as 15. then again, we also swear that contract extensions are different from the current norm and we still allow trading DURING the auction - though there were none this year).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          - yes 12-team 5x5 NL-only

- no minimum IP, and I can trade for innings/stats if I contend

- 1-game eligibility is for THIS YEAR. 15-game minimum from the previous year (most leagues have 20, but I could swear the original 1984 book had it as 15. then again, we also swear that contract extensions are different from the current norm and we still allow trading DURING the auction - though there were none this year).
          Does Bregman have OF eligibility due to the funky shifts? That's not something that could even be considered back in those days. My earliest book was 1987 or 1988, and it was 20 by then, but might have been different earlier. Of course, it was always 4x4 then.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            Does Bregman have OF eligibility due to the funky shifts? That's not something that could even be considered back in those days. My earliest book was 1987 or 1988, and it was 20 by then, but might have been different earlier. Of course, it was always 4x4 then.
            NL only I believe.

Comment

Always one of my favorite reads...thanks!
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Bregman is 3B-only for this year per baseball-reference.com, and 3B-SS from 2017 (132 G, 30 G).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

With pitching staff basically kershaw and wood, feels patchwork, but what a base of quality ip. You will be scrambing to get to 900 ip but there is benefit to keeping lean and mean and not blowing up ratios. Harper is on a vision quest this year, this team will rack up serious stats.

Comment

I remember when George Brett got an inning at SS. He quipped that it was for fantasy players.
                    1986 George Brett as my SS? Yeh. I'll do that.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I got a half-season out of Kirby Puckett at 2B in an AL offshoot of this league that lasted from 1992-94 (then the strike killed it).

Brett had 8 G at SS before the Rotisserie League book came out in 1984. then he indeed got 2 G at SS in 1986 and 1 in 1987.

wait, now I see that Puckett in 1992 played a total of 3 innings at 2B + SS +3B.

I understand the logical argument against allowing, but, well, it's a game - and this makes for a fun wrinkle!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Bregman is 3B-only for this year per baseball-reference.com, and 3B-SS from 2017 (132 G, 30 G).
                        That really wasn't my question. When the Astros do their full shift with four outfielders, Bregman retreats and plays left field. Given that baseball positions have not adjusted to account for this type of situation, it is unclear what the heck the call everyone in those situations, but Bregman is actually playing left field. Does he get eligibility for that? I guess this is more or a general question for any league, given that he'll do that in more than five games this year (the more standard in-season amount).

Comment

I know Sean Forman, who created baseball-reference.com

what he says, goes*

* - I assume he gets it from MLB

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

That makes sense, although I am not sure the official rulings make much sense any more. I think they don't count shifts for position changes, but given how much shifting is going on, I wonder how wise that is. Heck, I don't even know what they call it when a team uses five infielders with a runner on third and less than two outs in a walk-off situation, and teams have done that for years and years now.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              That really wasn't my question. When the Astros do their full shift with four outfielders, Bregman retreats and plays left field. Given that baseball positions have not adjusted to account for this type of situation, it is unclear what the heck the call everyone in those situations, but Bregman is actually playing left field. Does he get eligibility for that? I guess this is more or a general question for any league, given that he'll do that in more than five games this year (the more standard in-season amount).
                              You don't get OF eligibility for playing rover.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X