Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LV AL draft recap

10 team AL 4x4 traditional stats, old school rules, $260

Just flew back from Sin City, and boy is my liver tired. Another epic week of debauchery completed. I think I had something close to 10 whole hours of sleep over a 4-5 day period. In an interesting wrinkle, this year I offered to take over the league for a much beleaguered Commish who had 23 hard years under his belt. It was time for a change, and as the most successful franchise in the league, I felt it was time to give a little back. Should be an interesting year.

After a long day at the toptional pool, a late League Champions dinner Thursday night at the Circus Circus Steakhouse (one of the more underrated old-school steakhouses in America), and subsequently closing a night club at MGM, the old commish and I sat down for a little Pai Gow before our noon Friday draft. We got up from the table at 8:30AM. Capital idea, having both the new and old commish boozing it up at Pai Gow til about 3 hours before draft time, getting a tidy little nap, and running on fumes for a marathon 6 hour alcohol infused draft at the Mandalay sports book. God help us.

Anyway, long story short, our 19th Las Vegas draft was a mighty success, and went off with nothing more than the usual stupidly drunken hitches. (insert back pat here)

I was the 2017 league champ (extending my league record to 6 titles), and I had a pretty solid keeper list going in. This draft was unique in my 24 years of this league in that the sheer mass of available hitting talent was staggering. Available hitters this draft included:
    Trout/Altuve/Betts/Stanton/Machado/JD Mart/Springer/Donaldson/Gordon/Sanchez/E5/Abreau/Miggy/Benintendi/Cano/Sano/Segura/Bogaerts etc etc etc.

After months of deliberating, I decided to cut my own Trout @ $53. My plan was to spend up to $128 on 3 big sticks, and save an average of around $2 per player for the endgame, to cherry pick the $1 players. With 6 high quality arms kept on the staff, I felt I was fairly set there. Here's how it went:

(keepers in bold)

C- Ramos $5
    C- Joseph $1
    1B- Olson $7
    3B- Castellanos $11

CI- Cron $1
    2B- Dozier $26
    SS- Semien $11
    MI- J Ramirez $11

DH- V Martinez $1
    OF- Trout $53
    OF- Betts $44
    OF- Benintendi $29
    OF- Mahtook $1
    OF- Soler $1

P- Severino $10
    P- Paxton $6
    P- Morton $1

P- Manaea $7
    P- Estrada $6
    P- Junis $1
    P- Herrera $10
    P- Treinan $8
    P- Diaz $11

I drafted my big 3 in the first 2 rounds and was quite pleased. I literally did not have a selection between 1:00 and 5:00, where I was then able to get back involved. I made a late pivot towards some more SP late in the draft as I <really> liked Manaea and Estrada for this season, and they stayed on the board until very late in the draft. I feel like my $1 players are all serviceable, and I've already been in talks with the Miggy owner who is rebuilding and entertaining the idea of trading him straight up for Cron. (!!!!!!!!!). As a Detroit guy, in recent years I've tried to get the heart of the Tigers order. I've been successful enough to get away with this homerism, and would love to be sitting on 3-4-5 in the order for local watching all year.

So, that's it. I'm quite bullish, but I am after most drafts. What do you think?
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

I think that the rest of your league was drunker than you! Im not an only league guy, but that team looks pretty sweet! Title #7 looks within reach with that team.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Your $1 buys are very impressive. Your liver is obviously better than the other owners.

That said, your hitting was so good that you didn't need to buy Betts at 44. It's not that he's not a bad value at 44, but I'm not sold on your six SPs and I think you get better overall value spending that money for the most part on better SPs. Or at least one stud SP and two value buys.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I am not as concerned with your pitching as chancellor. It looks good to me. I love that you like Pai Gow. My wife would actually murder me if you invited me to that kind of week for a draft.

Comment

That pitching staff looks like a good staff for AL Only. I'd be happy with that.

Comment

This team is a slam dunk. It would be even better in 5X5. You have your ace in Severino and 5 solid starters behind him. If you need help, you have numerous bats you could trade.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Glad to hear the additional feedback on the pitching - Chancellor had me second guessing for a minute there. I'm more bullish on the staff than I am on the hitting. Like I mentioned, I <really> like both Manaea and Estrada this season, and Junis was #1 on my candidate list for a $1 SP.

SP was not in the same abundance at draft as hitters were - Sale/Carrasco/Stroman/McCullers/Cole/Ohtani and a handful of others available.

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

This team is off to a ridiculous start.
                74 of 80 pts. 40 of 40 in pitching.
                2nd place team is at 53pts.
                Picked up Teoscar for Mahtook.
                It's just silly to watch them go.

Current Lineup:

Comment

I said your team was ridiculous, but other teams will improve. Foot. Throat. You know the rest. Tinker or trade if you think it will improve your team.

Comment

OK. I just have to post this because it's so preposterous.
                    It's May. And my team just hit 80pts in a 10 team 4x4.
                    Absurd.

I may quit the game of rotisserie baseball.

Current Lineup:

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                      OK. I just have to post this because it's so preposterous.
                      It's May. And my team just hit 80pts in a 10 team 4x4.
                      Absurd.

I may quit the game of rotisserie baseball.
                      Yep, not September. Enjoy the season.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        Yep, not September. Enjoy the season.
                        I get it. A lot has broken the right way early. I was just pointing out that in 23 years of this league, noone has ever had 80 pts, not even after the first week of the season. There are always teams that are lopsided in one category or another. To get there in May, ~20% into the season, is pretty remarkable, I think. So, I remarked.

Current Lineup:

Comment

I get it. A lot has broken the right way early. I was just pointing out that in 23 years of this league, noone has ever had 80 pts, not even after the first week of the season. There are always teams that are lopsided in one category or another. To get there in May, ~20% into the season, is pretty remarkable, I think. So, I remarked.
                          It is remarkable. What have your league-mates said about it?
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The guy in 2nd (53pts) went off about how "MFin GD ridiculous" it is. Another (conservative) made a joke about wealth redistribution. lol.
                            I've been pretty tight lipped.

Current Lineup:

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X