12TO Farm Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12TO Farm Draft

We finished up today. Player is bold are the farm players I kept. We have 6 round select but can carry up to 10 farm players. Keep in mind that the top top prospects are already on other teams. Since I'm in a full rebuild I made two trades getting Verdugo and Quantrill in trades. It is hard to go deep into farm players as I simply cannot watch them. So always depend on what I read to go from there. I put my comments below. Any thoughts on these guys?

Will Craig 3B,1B | PIT In retrospect I should have dropped him. Dumb move. He is supposed to be a power hitter but now 23 and it ain't happened. I'll need to see a big turnaround if he is going to be kept next season.
    Lucas Erceg 3B | MIL Another player need to see how he progresses during the season.
    Steven Duggar OF | SF Will likely be up during season. Hard to say he'll be worth enough to be a keeper for 2019.
    Alex Verdugo OF | LAD Traded for him before the auction. He can hit. Very good bb/K ratio. Hope he can develop 20 HR. Thinking he is very similar to Winkler.
    Cal Quantrill P | SD
    Traded for him before the auction. Padres rotation outside of Lamet are waiting for their young talent to come up.. Not super high on him but we'll see.

MacKenzie Gore P | SD My 1st pick. I had 3 hitters ahead of him Jhailyn Ortiz, Hiura and Kieboom. They were all taken and I felt he was the best player after that.
    Keibert Ruiz C LAD Best catching prospect in the game.
    DJ Peters OF | LAD Skipped Low A to the next level and till held his own. Has power and speed but has not shown up in SB.
    Adonis Medina P | PHI Another good prospect in the Phillies system.
    Hudson Potts 3B SD Lots of power. Only him and Tatis hit 20 HR as 18 yr old. Last player was Stanton to do this.

I like your farm picks for the most part. First 2 picks are great, Keibert Ruiz looks like a possible Buster Posey type, .300+ BA with 20 HR peak. Looks like a safe bet to become a top 5 NL catcher.

DJ Peters looks good, but I hate diving into the LAD OF market with so many viable prospects competing. I would also worry about trade risk. I had him further down.

Your tidbit about Hudson Potts was very interesting though, thanks for that. I had him on my list, but a bit lower than my late rounders, C. Tucker - SS - PIT, and J. Guzman - SP - MIA.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Jesse, the one pick I liked on your team is Siri. If he had been year or two younger he would have gone much higher but he'll need to produce this at the next level. Those power/speed guys are always good to get.

Comment

I had the #1 pick overall and reached a bit for Ortiz...I just felt that playing it safe keeps you in the middle of the pack, and that's not where I want to be. Ortiz had BIG upside, but he's years away. I suspect that you'll see Gore in the majors before I see my guy. BTW, it really was between Gore and Ortiz for #1 overall, and nobody else was close for me. I just wanted the hitter more than the pitcher, but you have a very special player in Gore...hard to believe that he fell to #7, but people really want the bats in this league. Great base for you to start your re-build with...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          Jesse, the one pick I liked on your team is Siri. If he had been year or two younger he would have gone much higher but he'll need to produce this at the next level. Those power/speed guys are always good to get.
          With power/speed guys, you hope they have the defense to make it work. Siri supposedly has a 70 arm, 65 run, 55 defense profile... but sometimes you read "70 raw" likely translating to 50 game power, but obviously upside for more... I know the caveat is that he was old for his level, but I guess that I like knowing he's more likely to be promoted quicker. I think if it comes together, there's only a few that can match his 30/30 potential. The K/BB isn't pretty, but the K rate itself isn't crazy, and he improved drastically over the previous season's A ball sample, so I feel like he needed to feel that full season success with one club. I like the makeup that his popup status shows, dealing with adversity through his first few years of struggling... It's definitely more of a longshot, but with a higher payout potential.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I had the #1 pick overall and reached a bit for Ortiz...I just felt that playing it safe keeps you in the middle of the pack, and that's not where I want to be. Ortiz had BIG upside, but he's years away. I suspect that you'll see Gore in the majors before I see my guy. BTW, it really was between Gore and Ortiz for #1 overall, and nobody else was close for me. I just wanted the hitter more than the pitcher, but you have a very special player in Gore...hard to believe that he fell to #7, but people really want the bats in this league. Great base for you to start your re-build with...
            I was a little bit surprised that you picked Jailyn Ortiz 1st overall... but I know your favourite "type". In fantasy baseball at least, you're not afraid to dip into the kiddie pool. You've grabbed every hot name 16 year old that I can remember in various leagues over the years.

The funniest one to me is Miguel Sano. Do you know what year exactly you drafted him, and you still own him to this date, right? I thought you drafted him when he was 16, meaning that this would be your 8th year owning him. Talk about a long-term asset!

I think it's a brilliant strategy, to be honest, and I've aimed to emulate that strategy myself. That's why I reached a bit for Akil Baddoo and Wander Franco, both 18, so not a ton of hype yet. I think I'll post an MSGL farm draft thread with thoughts... I get way more into prospect hunting than actual MLB players these days. It's a bad habit.

Comment

I didn’t get a pick until pick 15 and you guys had taken any hitter i really wanted so the “value” seemed to be at pitcher. So with 3 of the next 7 picks I took Michel Baez, Ian Anderson, and Jon Duplantier. I had even tried swearing off pitchers but when I looked at the value I jumped back into chasing pitching. Oh well maybe one will hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                I was a little bit surprised that you picked Jailyn Ortiz 1st overall... but I know your favourite "type". In fantasy baseball at least, you're not afraid to dip into the kiddie pool. You've grabbed every hot name 16 year old that I can remember in various leagues over the years.

The funniest one to me is Miguel Sano. Do you know what year exactly you drafted him, and you still own him to this date, right? I thought you drafted him when he was 16, meaning that this would be your 8th year owning him. Talk about a long-term asset!

I think it's a brilliant strategy, to be honest, and I've aimed to emulate that strategy myself. That's why I reached a bit for Akil Baddoo and Wander Franco, both 18, so not a ton of hype yet. I think I'll post an MSGL farm draft thread with thoughts... I get way more into prospect hunting than actual MLB players these days. It's a bad habit.
                LOL...yeah, I've had Sano forever. This is the year that he hits 50, right?

I do take a lot of kids, I guess that I value the potential over the stats arriving sooner. The one that I know I'm going to regret id dealing Vladdy Jr., twice. Different leagues of course, but he's going to be great.

I love Baddoo, he's a really advanced player with a ton of upside, same with Franco. Great picks Jesse...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Way back I think in the 2nd yr of this league I took a player in my farm not even sure if he was my 1st pick. I recall one of the owners stating to me why are you taking a kid that will take several seasons to come up seems like a wasted pick. That kid I drafted was a very young 3B for the Marlins. His name was Miguel "Miggy" Cabrera.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    Way back I think in the 2nd yr of this league I took a player in my farm not even sure if he was my 1st pick. I recall one of the owners stating to me why are you taking a kid that will take several seasons to come up seems like a wasted pick. That kid I drafted was a very young 3B for the Marlins. His name was Miguel "Miggy" Cabrera.
                    I hear that... How did it feel watching Miggy move to the AL? I hate spending 2+ years holding a farm guy to watch him get traded out of the league, or only to deal him away and surrender those hold-years, while another owner reaps the benefits.

I feel like Gary Sanchez was a prospect for like 10 years, so it was pretty crazy to me that the guy who held him through several minor league years dealt him to me right before he graduated to the bigs. I don't know if the owner soured on Sanchez or what, but I would be kicking myself for YEARS if I did something like this... I used to hang onto marginal prospects out of a fear of someone else hitting on them. Now, I take pride in others drafting my castoffs, as they must see something that I did, and it validates my instincts to cut bait quicker to look for the next big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      I hear that... How did it feel watching Miggy move to the AL? I hate spending 2+ years holding a farm guy to watch him get traded out of the league, or only to deal him away and surrender those hold-years, while another owner reaps the benefits.

I feel like Gary Sanchez was a prospect for like 10 years, so it was pretty crazy to me that the guy who held him through several minor league years dealt him to me right before he graduated to the bigs. I don't know if the owner soured on Sanchez or what, but I would be kicking myself for YEARS if I did something like this... I used to hang onto marginal prospects out of a fear of someone else hitting on them. Now, I take pride in others drafting my castoffs, as they must see something that I did, and it validates my instincts to cut bait quicker to look for the next big thing.
                      Actually he played 5 years with the Marlins so considering even if you signed him after 2 seasons it probably wouldn't have been for more than 3 years. I do think in a league where you have only 2-4 farm players yeah you probably want someone that is going to get to the majors faster. In a league like ours it make sense to go more towards rookie or low A ball as we have 10 farm.

Comment

The annual "draft a bunch of dudes I never heard of" fest. Up to 120 prospects being kept in an NL only league is a little nuts. I like Marcus Wilson and should have taken him instead of Burnes. I was hoping to get both of the Nats' 17 year olds in hopes of one of them working out, but Antuna went way early. Seeing who would have been available at my 1st pick made me feel less bad about trading it last season.

I added:

Corbin Burnes SP MIL
                        Luis Garcia SS WSH
                        Drew Waters OF ATL
                        Mark Vientos 3B NYM
                        Adbert Alzolay SP CHC

To my mediocre core of:
                        Walker Buehler SP LAD
                        Alex Blandino "SS" CIN
                        Tyrone Taylor OF MIL
                        Franklyn Kilome SP PHI

Blandino and Taylor are basically non prospects at this point but I didn't have enough picks to replace them anyway, so they stay for now in hopes of finding some magic beans this year. Maybe Blandino can be Scooter Gennett some day.

Comment

this years class was uninspiring, I opted for easy button of following a sickels list, or rhd on this site, as I could not muster enthusiasm to delve in 2018 farm. its easy when we have the 2012 baseball america top 100 class, led by blazing bright neon youngsters like trout, harper, machado, and also in top 25 were nolan arenado ,a rendon, a w myers. you kidding me? the argument is you need time to see the greatness, true, but even in 2012 it was clear that trout, harper, machado were the bees knees. btw jc, it is super early, but your team that went so heavy pitching is looking good. your pitching is unassailable.

Comment

I think that the biggest difference between 2012 and today is that there are multiple, and I mean multiple, sources that do a really fine job of scouting. I go through probably a half a dozen or more, just looking at lists and seeing who made them multiple times, and at what levels. And the Latin players are really heavily written up now, along with Cuban players being readily available. That also makes a huge difference in drafting players...you have a lot bigger chance of busting on a player, but at the same time, if he lives up to the scouts hype, you're ahead of the game.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                              this years class was uninspiring, I opted for easy button of following a sickels list, or rhd on this site, as I could not muster enthusiasm to delve in 2018 farm. its easy when we have the 2012 baseball america top 100 class, led by blazing bright neon youngsters like trout, harper, machado, and also in top 25 were nolan arenado ,a rendon, a w myers. you kidding me? the argument is you need time to see the greatness, true, but even in 2012 it was clear that trout, harper, machado were the bees knees. btw jc, it is super early, but your team that went so heavy pitching is looking good. your pitching is unassailable.
                              DJ Lemahieu and Cory Spangenberg both on pace for about 50 HR. Sure that will keep up. How many crappy hitters on my team will outhomer my $37 Eric Hosmer? Plus that 1.88 team ERA is totally sustainable

Comment

Working...
                              X