The Dane's RJEL Team HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dane's RJEL Team HDID

Going in, I felt I had one of the worst keeper lists, dollar-for-dollar. I had one outstanding keeper in Bellinger, and a couple of very good ones in Knebel and Herrera, but the rest were pretty close to at-value, and I gambled on Claudio keeping the Texas ninth, and lost. As a response, I kept a couple of big bats at or near value, so that I could focus my attention elsewhere. Keeping Freeman and Davis were just lay ups.

My plan:
    1) Get Kela for less than $18, so at least I'd have ONE closer and a good MR for $25 which is about the going rate in this league.
    2) Avoid the first round of high-salary guys. I figured Freeman was my get there.
    3) Get one second-tier ace in the low $30s.
    4) Spread the risk with the rest of my hitters, not paying more than $30 for any one guy.
    5) Focus on young starters. If I get them cheap enough, I don't lose much when they fizzle and if one or two hit, I could be mid-pack this year, and maybe better off in the future.
    6) When it comes to late game scrubs, target the WAS bench first. I see a lot of positive ABs there. Kendrick, Adams and Goodwin could all produce WAY more than is expected of them. Practically every starting hitter on that team has a substantial or recent injury history. That bench will get USED.

My team: (keepers in bold)

C- MZunino 3
    1B-FFreeman 44
    2B-JPanik 10

3B-KSeager 28
    SS-PDeJong 1
    CI-WFlores 4
    MI-COwings 5
    OF-KDavis 35
    OF-CBellinger 5
    OF-OHerrera 2

OF-CGonzalez 12
    OF-LMartin 6
    UT-BGoodwin 2
    UT-MAdams 3
    B- JMcCann 1 (just until Zunino is back)
    B- DDietrich 3

SP-CMartinez 35
    SP-AWood 7
    SP-TWalker 17
    SP-LGohara 11
    SP-TMahle 3
    SP-CSmith 1
    RP-AClaudio 7
    CL-KKeone 13
    CL-CKnebel 4
    B- DPeters 1
    B- TWilliams 1

How I felt I accomplished my plan:
    1) Got Kela for $13, $5 below my bar.
    2) I avoided the high-salaries in the early going. Freeman at $44 looks about right. Not cheap, but not an overpay either. Davis at $35 may be a little cheap.
    3) I got Martinez at $35. A few dollars more than I would have liked to pay, but I needed an anchor.
    4) My highest price hitter was Seager for $28. I'm pretty happy with my down-roster offensive acquisitions.
    5) Well, I did say I wanted young starters. So, getting Walker (25), Mahle (23), Gohara (21), Smith (26), Peters (25), and Williams (25) probably just increases the likelihood that I get a ton of learning-curve innings that kill my ratios, but I may end up with one or two gems there. I was pleased to get them on shitty teams, because -while I'll certainly be hurting for wins- those teams have fewer options and they'll have longer leashes, and a better chance of getting to usefulness. Walker was an overpay, but at that point, I thought he was the best SP left, and I had the budget to spend. Andy pushed me to $11 on Gohara, who I was hoping to get for $5, but we both had money at that point and he had the best intersection of upside and proximity on the board.
    6) I got Goodwin and Adams.

Overall: I really like my hitting. My pitching is suspect, but not terrible. I have very little help from the minors this year, maybe only Cristin Stewart or Jordan Hicks before he gets sent back down. I'm pretty weak there. I thought my <$6 late-game hitters were good gets. I got beat out on Garrett Cooper in dollar days, but I got every other one I had my eye on. My team is a bit threadbare, but serviceable. I feel like I went into the draft in last place or close to it, and drafted my way into the middle. If I languish there, I think I'm in a good place to sell, with some attractive players at not-insane prizes.

We bid on several of the same players so I like where you spent your $ in CMart, Seager & Walker. Seems like you need to watch OBA & probably pick up another 15-20 SBs. Like all others teams pretty much at this point you could use another SP or 2 but that is always the case at the start of the season and SP always seems to be available to stream via FAAB or in trades. And if the young guys pan out you may end up having enough SP anyway but as you point out the initial projections have your WHIP a little on the high side (3.49 / 1.26 - which really isn't bad at all but based on my inputted lineups you only get 5 points in the WHIP category so very tightly bunched).

Freeman is definitely a keeper at $44 for next year too I suspect. Prices on the top 1B bats was down a bit from where I suspected but at a minimum you got him for a few $ under inflated value.

Comment

Working...
    X