Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomas placed on waivers

From RotoWire:

Tomas was placed on outright waivers Saturday, Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic reports.
    [QUOTE][Tomas failed to make the Diamondbacks' Opening Day roster this season despite Steven Souza opening the year on the disabled list with a pectoral injury. It wasn't a good sign for Tomas' future with Arizona, and he'll now almost certainly clear waivers and be removed from the 40-man roster; it's unlikely that another team will pick up the remaining three years and $46 million left on his contract. The 27-year-old owns a 98 career wRC+ and a very poor defensive reputation, making it hard for a team to justify keeping him on their roster let alone paying him over $15 million a year./QUOTE]

This is the danger of giving so much money to someone whom you know so little about. Massive risk did not pay off in this case.

Comment

He can share stories of being the richest guy in AAA with Rusney Castillo.

Tomas doesn't seem totally useless - I'm surprised the DBacks can't find someone to take on 10% of his salary if they eat the rest. Seems like he could be a useful lefty killing DH type. I guess he's a victim of the 8 and 9 man bullpens everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        He can share stories of being the richest guy in AAA with Rusney Castillo.

Tomas doesn't seem totally useless - I'm surprised the DBacks can't find someone to take on 10% of his salary if they eat the rest. Seems like he could be a useful lefty killing DH type. I guess he's a victim of the 8 and 9 man bullpens everywhere.
        Correction: the Dbacks are the victim of the 8-9 man bullpens everywhere... they're still on the hook for the full 100%.

Comment

Nobody was ever going to touch that contract. It was a completely safe move---anyone claims, they say, have fun with that.

Comment

Working...
          X