this may be a record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this may be a record

12-team mixed. $260 auction budget plus $15 for reserves, $320 cap. It's March 31 and someone is $11 over the cap already. Not even through dump deals; he's spent $74 of his FAAB budget, even with us using Vickrey. And all he has to show for it is Brantley, Wacha, Renfroe, Harvey, Jose Reyes, and Strickland.

in other record-ish news from that league, I think I had my best overall hitting day of all time today: 25-for-42, 17 R, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 1 SB.
    Last edited by mjl; 04-01-2018, 01:47 AM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

An example of why your FAAB expenditures shouldn't count against your cap.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      12-team mixed. $260 auction budget plus $15 for reserves, $320 cap. It's March 31 and someone is $11 over the cap already. Not even through dump deals; he's spent $74 of his FAAB budget, even with us using Vickrey. And all he has to show for it is Brantley, Wacha, Renfroe, Harvey, Jose Reyes, and Strickland.

in other record-ish news from that league, I think I had my best overall hitting day of all time today: 25-for-42, 17 R, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 1 SB.
      I've seen some monster hitting days - I remember hitting double digits in HRs a few times on those days when it all comes together.

Today, with just 9 hitters (haven't drafted yet), I got 4 HR and hit .533.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        An example of why your FAAB expenditures shouldn't count against your cap.
        But they count for everyone so it isn't really an advantage to one team?
        Instead of having them not count against the cap, why not just move the cap to handle the correct offset?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          But they count for everyone so it isn't really an advantage to one team?
          Instead of having them not count against the cap, why not just move the cap to handle the correct offset?
          Because FAAB money spent on free agents that you purchase are not the reason for a salary cap to begin with.

A salary cap is designed to lessen the problems associated with dump trading, not to inhibit free agent purchases. Upping the cap would make the problem worse, not better.

Free agents shouldn't count against the cap unless they are traded. If they must be counted against the cap in some manner, they should be given an automatic salary, such as $10. Otherwise, you
          are punishing the guys who use their faab, which has nothing to do with the reason for having the cap.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            Free agents shouldn't count against the cap unless they are traded. If they must be counted against the cap in some manner, they should be given an automatic salary, such as $10. Otherwise, you
            are punishing the guys who use their faab, which has nothing to do with the reason for having the cap.
            Fair - if the software supported this I could get behind it.

Comment

Working...
            X