Obdubel Hererra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obdubel Hererra

I was just offered Herrera buy the guy who just gave him an extension in my 14 team mixed league. I thought it was a bad idea at the time, and I guess it has only taken him a week to agree, now that there is reporting that Herrera is in a time share.

The offer is his $11 Herrera that I'd have to buy out for $17 next year or keep for two more years after this one, and his Lester for my $5 Chris Taylor and my $1 Boxberger.

I don't like Hererra's contract clogging up a keeper spot for me, and that I'm giving two potentially good keepers, but I am more focused on this year now, and I am flush with relievers and could use another starter. Lester didn't look good last year or in his debut against the hapless Marlins, but I figure he will find a groove as a solid enough guy for me this year.

So, first, am I right in thinking I win this deal for 2018, and if so, is that enough to take Herrera's contract and give up a cheap Chris Taylor and Boxberger?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-30-2018, 08:26 PM.

No, while I'm not a huge supporter of either Taylor or Box, they both have good contracts and good jobs. If you choose to deal them I suspect you could get a better return.

I do like Lester, but how much is he?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      No, while I'm not a huge supporter of either Taylor or Box, they both have good contracts and good jobs. If you choose to deal them I suspect you could get a better return.

I do like Lester, but how much is he?
      He was wildly overpaid in the auction as the last "good" pitcher to go. Because we use a $400 cap that is hard for most to wrap their heads around, I didn't list his price, but it was $62. He could pitch like his old self and he would not be a keeper.

Is it worth countering replacing Taylor with Maybin? I think his primary goal is to dump Herrera and get a closer, so maybe he bites.

Comment

Honestly I'd try replacing Taylor with nobody and see how that goes. It's still a $1 closer for a good starter with an unwieldy contract and a guy with a bad contract.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          He was wildly overpaid in the auction as the last "good" pitcher to go. Because we use a $400 cap that is hard for most to wrap their heads around, I didn't list his price, but it was $62. He could pitch like his old self and he would not be a keeper.

Is it worth countering replacing Taylor with Maybin? I think his primary goal is to dump Herrera and get a closer, so maybe he bites.
          Pretty much what mjl said...if you can afford to deal a really cheap closer, he should bite on it to shed that contract...unless you need the steals that Herrera can get you, pass on him.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Pretty much what mjl said...if you can afford to deal a really cheap closer, he should bite on it to shed that contract...unless you need the steals that Herrera can get you, pass on him.
            Yeah, this began with me offering Boxberger and a prospect for Lester. I hit on both my end game relievers, landing boxberger and kela, and can afford to trade either, since I also have Diaz and Hand. I don't need the saves. I also have the Marlins eventual closer locked up with Barraclough in the majors and Stickenrider in the minors. Really, I've got more relieved than I want to carry, so it is ideal for me to trade one for a starter.

I don't need Herrera, not if he will sit 2-3 times a week. This is a weekly league, so I wouldn't start him often if he only plays 4 times a week.

Right now, no one wants my unproven closers, and I don't want to trade Diaz or Hand. I guess if I trust Boxberger, I should wait until others get desperate for saves. Lester is tempting though.

Comment

I should be clear that we have no in season cap, so Lester being overpriced doesn't hurt in season.

I'm just worried about how little Herrera will play, especially with Kingery in the picture. How many ABs will he get this year with Kingery maybe taking ABs along with Altherr and Williams. Will Herrera play enough to even he a mixed league back up, or is he basically a dead roster spot for me all years and someone I must buy out next year? If he isn't even gonna get 400 ABs, I can't see ever starting him.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-30-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah, this began with me offering Boxberger and a prospect for Lester. I hit on both my end game relievers, landing boxberger and kela, and can afford to trade either, since I also have Diaz and Hand. I don't need the saves. I also have the Marlins eventual closer locked up with Barraclough in the majors and Stickenrider in the minors. Really, I've got more relieved than I want to carry, so it is ideal for me to trade one for a starter.

I don't need Herrera, not if he will sit 2-3 times a week. This is a weekly league, so I wouldn't start him often if he only plays 4 times a week.

Right now, no one wants my unproven closers, and I don't want to trade Diaz or Hand. I guess if I trust Boxberger, I should wait until others get desperate for saves. Lester is tempting though.
                Two days into the season, there's no rush at all...let Lester have another bad start, or target another starter. If this guy is already willing to dump, he'll blink before too long.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Two days into the season, there's no rush at all...let Lester have another bad start, or target another starter. If this guy is already willing to dump, he'll blink before too long.
                  So Herrera is too bad a contract to take? Even if he will do Herrera and lester for Boxberger?

Comment

I rejected and countered with just box for Herrera and lester and he declined quickly. I'm relieved. It is a risk to hold these newly minted closers as they can fail, but I guess it is better to see if their value grows rather than sell them low.

Comment

So Herrera is too bad a contract to take? Even if he will do Herrera and lester for Boxberger?
                      it's certainly not a terrible contract...260 buck cap at the auction? I would not spend 17 bucks to buy him out though...

If he'd do both for Boxberger, yeah, I'd do it before Lester has a good game.

Well never mind then, LOL.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I ended up trading Boxberger and Mahle for Lester tonight. Boxberger is doing great, and one of my top closer, Hand, has been rough. But I still pulled the trigger. I still have Diaz, Hand, Kela, and Bearclaw/Steckenrider. I could end up regretting trading $1 Boxberger and $5 Mahle, but it seemed like the right play. It is so early and Box and Mahle are unknowns who could flame out (although I like Mahle...if he can consistently command his 3rd pitch, he is gonna be good).

Comment

Working...
                        X