Scott Kingery Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Kingery Contract

Widely reported to be a 6 year deal worth 24 million. Seems like a good deal for both sides as it guarantees that with careful money management, Kingery and family should be set for life. And it actually involves little risk to the Phillies as well, since 24 million for 6 seasons is probably much less than Kingery would make in the normal process with arbitration.

But, under reported is the fact that it's actually a NINE year deal, with the Phillies having 3 club options during his 1st 3 free agent seasons. Starting at 13 million per season, and escalating a million per year for three years. Total if he plays the whole deal, 9 years for 66 million. Seems to me that while he's got financial security, he really left a LOT on the table...thoughts?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

He turns 24 at the end of April so a little older than your typical prospect and someone who only recently came on the scene. Thus, maybe the security angle is really important to him as he likely couldn't have imagined such a contract a few years ago. While I'm generally not a fan of prospects signing these club-friendly deals, you only need to go back and look at Jonathan Singleton to see that sometimes locking in security is a good thing...

Comment

Security has value. In the case of a guy who'd be a FA at age 31 had the Phillies screwed with his arb clock for one more year, I'd say it has a lot of value. Plus, this guarantees him good money (not great, but good) regardless of what happens in the next MLB labor agreement.

And he may not have left a lot on the table. He did if he turns into a great player, in the category of a Bryce Harper or Manny Machado. But if he turns into a very good to good player, ala Mike Moustakas...well, it looks like a 30-31 year old FA isn't going to command multiple years at $15 mil per with that talent set.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It's good for both sides. Kingery gets the security, and the Phils lock him in and don't have to go through the bruising arbitration process which can damage his psyche, a la Marcus Stroman. If he turns into the player everyone expects, it's a bargain.

Comment

It seems like a fair deal to me. Given that he would be 30 before hitting free agency anyway, those options are not that horrible--yes, salaries could be higher by then, but if so, it will just be for the stars as teams have gotten wiser. Even if he's a total bust, the money won't really hurt the Phillies. Now they just have to hope that his plan is not to smoke the entire $24 million, unlike a certain former prospect mentioned in this thread.

Comment

The flip side is a lot of guaranteed money to an unproven player. Teams have gone broke misjudging a couple of these. Even if he works as a starter, the team is breaking even. Only if he turns into a star is this good for the team.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Kingery update: hitting .212 with 2-16-4 in 193 AB. (also .212 in his last 31 days, so points for consistency!)

xBA of .218, which is about as bad as it gets

mainly has played SS
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Not much longer probably. JP Crawford is off DL. That's a DP combination with a future, but no current fantasy value.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Not much longer probably. JP Crawford is off DL. That's a DP combination with a future, but no current fantasy value.

J

where does cesar hernandez play?

Comment

Originally posted by tinitoys View Post
                    where does cesar hernandez play?
                    That's a good question, which and where?

Fangraphs depth charts have Hernandez at 2B and Kingery playing utilityman. Rhys Hoskins is just off DL and weak defensively at best. There are probably some AB available there, particularly in interleague play.

J
                    Last edited by onejayhawk; 06-09-2018, 09:15 PM.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Hernandez is a good every-day 2B. I can't imagine the Phillies this year bumping him for struggling Kingery AB.

so far this year in as many PA as Hernandez alone, the COMBINED OPS+ of Kingery and Crawford is a draw. so half the offensive player
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Kingery's been playing better lately. he's been moving up in the order.

Comment

Phillies rumored to be involved with Machado. Have to think at least one of Kingery, Crawford or Hernandez would be included, maybe Franco also, along with prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            Kingery's been playing better lately. he's been moving up in the order.
                            He really hasn't. June 1st his BA was .226. Currently it is .215. Hate to say it being a Kingery owner but I think perhaps a trip back to AAA might be good but Franco and Crawford aren't hitting either so there he stays for now.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                              Phillies rumored to be involved with Machado. Have to think at least one of Kingery, Crawford or Hernandez would be included, maybe Franco also, along with prospects.
                              Franco isn't starting for the Phillies anymore so include him

Comment

Working...
                              X