Judge's freeze list almost due, 12-team 5x5 NL-only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge's freeze list almost due, 12-team 5x5 NL-only

I can keep up to 11 and still have 14 on my list pending Thursday morning freeze deadline for my 35th year in this league (all 12 owners date back at least 15 years - and half go back to the 1980s).

sure keeps
    SP Alex Wood 5-S1
    RP Corey Knebel 2-S1
    RP Hector Neris 1-S1
    OF Adam Eaton 18-S1
    OF Adam Duvall 15-L1
    OF Tommy Pham 10-S1
    OF Nick Williams 5-S1

other options, keep up to 4:
    SP Kenta Maeda 19-S1
    SP Jhoulys Chacin 10-S1
    RP Brad Ziegler 10-S1
    C Buster Posey 30-S1
    1B Anthony Rizzo 42-O
    2B Howie Kendrick 9-O
    OF Bryce Harper 41-O

I can turn Ziegler into Kyle Davies 10-S1, but not really feeling that
    am now exploring taking Davies and flipping him, if possible, for Scooter Gennett 4-S1 to a team that is overloaded on offense

the high inflation in this league generally lures me into "overpaying" for one star in the freeze portion - here it could be Rizzo, Harper, or Posey. Harper would be a 5th OF, bah, though I like him best. 1 G eligibility should get Rizzo to 2B soon enough, which is sweet and tempting.

I have enough big bargains - Wood, Knebel, Neris, Pham - and no big-ticket cost guys on the sure list to keep TWO "overpays" if I like.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

If you can turn Ziegler 10 into Gennett-4, I'll be highly impressed.

Of the existing, given your keeper list, I'd keep Rizzo over Harper. Given Murphy's health trouble, I'd keep Kendrick, too. I don't trust catchers, so I would not keep Posey, but can see an argument for doing so. That'd be it for me.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

if inflation is as high as you indicate, I would lean toward keeping both Rizzo and Harper. Both are at about non-inflated value and you arent keeping much salary as it is. I kinda like Chacin. Would stay away from ziegler or trade him for basically anything. I would bet a fair amount zigs isnt the closer by May 15.

Comment

Yes to getting Gennett. In need of MI and he's a nice get at $4.

I'm not in love with your OF group. Eaton coming off a serious injury, Duvall looking at reduced playing time, Pham possibly experiencing a reoccurence of eyesight issues, and Williams unproven and in a playing time crunch.

I would try to trade at least one of those 4 OF. Keep both Rizzo and Harper in high inflation league.

My NL only has also been going for 35 years. Unfortunately 5 of our original members have died since 2000. We've gone from 12 teams down to 10 over the last few years. I hope I'll be lucky enough to still be doing this when Acuna breaks Bond's career HR mark.

Comment

"My NL only has also been going for 35 years. Unfortunately 5 of our original members have died since 2000."

Damn.

we did have some turnover in the 1980s and 1990s, but as far as I can tell, none of the dozens of owners overall have passed on yet.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            if inflation is as high as you indicate, I would lean toward keeping both Rizzo and Harper. Both are at about non-inflated value and you arent keeping much salary as it is. I kinda like Chacin. Would stay away from ziegler or trade him for basically anything. I would bet a fair amount zigs isnt the closer by May 15.
            I am agreeing with Pauly across the boards. Keep Harper and Rizzo with those other cheap keeps.

Nice team.

Comment

Keep the overlays in your situation. I also like Kendrick for this year. Any way you can get Gennett at that price, do it!

Comment

sure keeps
                SP Alex Wood 5-S1
                RP Corey Knebel 2-S1
                RP Hector Neris 1-S1
                OF Adam Eaton 18-S1
                OF Adam Duvall 15-L1
                OF Tommy Pham 10-S1
                OF Nick Williams 5-S1

other options, keep up to 4:
                SP Kenta Maeda 19-S1
                SP Jhoulys Chacin 10-S1
                RP Brad Ziegler 10-S1
                C Buster Posey 30-S1
                1B Anthony Rizzo 42-O
                2B Howie Kendrick 9-O
                OF Bryce Harper 41-O

I can turn Ziegler into Kyle Davies 10-S1, but not really feeling that
                am now exploring taking Davies and flipping him, if possible, for Scooter Gennett 4-S1 to a team that is overloaded on offense

the high inflation in this league generally lures me into "overpaying" for one star in the freeze portion - here it could be Rizzo, Harper, or Posey. Harper would be a 5th OF, bah, though I like him best. 1 G eligibility should get Rizzo to 2B soon enough, which is sweet and tempting.

I have enough big bargains - Wood, Knebel, Neris, Pham - and no big-ticket cost guys on the sure list to keep TWO "overpays" if I like.[/QUOTE]

I would hate to have all 5 OF slots tied up in case a bargain comes along, and they always do. I would argue Rizzo and Posey staying, drop Chacin and Kendrick along with Harper. Nice dilemma!
                Bearin' up!

Comment

"I would hate to have all 5 OF slots tied up in case a bargain comes along, and they always do. I would argue Rizzo and Posey staying, drop Chacin and Kendrick along with Harper."

damn, you read my mind - and for the same reasons!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Judge, how sold are you on your 4 sure keep OF?

Comment

Agreeing with others, keep Rizzo and Harper. If you can get Gennett, go for it. Seems like a possible $20+ producer at $4, and if he's keepable after 2018, if he were to repeat his offensive breakout? Definitely a nice piece to see what he turns into.

Regarding your full OF, I would try and trade Nick Williams. I feel like he's less than a 50% chance to get 500+ AB's, and he's looking like a lower ceiling player, now that his SB profile looks to be in the 0-5 range. I own Williams myself for $5 on a 1st year contract, and feel I need to roll the dice that he sustains his luck from last year. I'm just doubtful he does it, and Altherr looks like a better hitter right now.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Altherr does look like the better hitter now. Beautiful mechanics.

Comment

Nick Williams is at or near the top of the list of overrated players in the NL

Comment

Count me also down on Nick Williams, although for $5, he's not an unreasonable keeper.

Definitely keep Rizzo.

As for Harper and Posey, as much as I love Posey, I usually can't justify paying that much for a catcher, so I'd lean towards Harper.

And, if the inflated SP prices are a trend, I think Davies ends up worth way more than that $10, and way more than Gennett who has never been THAT good, is dealing with a sore shoulder, AND is blocking Nick Senzel. Whatever value Gennett has this year, it'll either be fleeting or for another team. Davies plays for a team with a strong offense (chance for wins) and much-improved defense, and for a pitcher that pitches to contact, that's HUGE. Don't sleep on Davies. I'm not saying he's an ace, but there are avenues for surprising value there.
                            Last edited by The Dane; 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Sorry for my confusion, but Kyle Davies? The old braves pitcher who last pitched in Japan? Or are you guys talking about someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X