Auction starters only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction starters only?

Did my auction on CBS last night and it took almost 5 hours (16 teams, lots of site glitches.)

Curious about leagues that auction only starters and then draft for reserves. Do you like it? How do you handle the reserve draft? I don't think CBS could handle that so it would create a lot of work after the auction. Trying to decide if it's worth it.

As the starters are auctioned online [?], you might consider a "slow draft" where, in a pre-selected order, owners could submit their pick via message board or by text? Say it has to be done within a set time limit or the next pick is up?

At a nice sit-down auction, we get the roster done , then pick reserves. Usually goes pretty fast.
    Bearin' up!

Comment

I once did a 16 team auction. Never again.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

We do it online via the CBS site. Was thinking we'd do a google doc slow draft for reserves, then have people add them in the first FAAB. Trying to think it through and see what works for other people.

But yeah, the 16-team auction with 25-man rosters is brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
          Did my auction on CBS last night and it took almost 5 hours (16 teams, lots of site glitches.)

Curious about leagues that auction only starters and then draft for reserves. Do you like it? How do you handle the reserve draft? I don't think CBS could handle that so it would create a lot of work after the auction. Trying to decide if it's worth it.
          That's what we do, and it shortens the day by a couple of hours. We do a snake draft on inverse order of nominating players, randomly chosen every year. We have six reserves. Reserve picks can be traded during the season and up to ten days before the draft, at which point we freeze the reserve draft order, primarily for the sanity of the commissioner.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            That's what we do, and it shortens the day by a couple of hours. We do a snake draft on inverse order of nominating players, randomly chosen every year. We have six reserves. Reserve picks can be traded during the season and up to ten days before the draft, at which point we freeze the reserve draft order, primarily for the sanity of the commissioner.
            Trading the picks is a cool idea.

Comment

Having done this recently in a couple of leagues (RJEL, which didn't suck, and a home league, which did) - google doc is fine but you also need to send an email letting the next person know they're up, and you really need to set a firm time limit or else your draft of like 20 minor leaguers will take nine days as mine did. Pick a timeframe that everyone can be expected to respond to emails (8am to 10pm maybe) and after three or four hours on the clock they get skipped; they can take their pick whenever they want but the draft will continue to run.

We don't generally do it live after the auction just because the auction runs late esp for the people on the east coast. We actually switched this year to doing the minor league draft this way (which sucked because we started a week before the auction and it ran until after) and the major league reserves via an early FAAB run and giving everyone an extra $15 in FAAB. I liked that too.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Fantrax has a scenario that works for this.

You set your league up as an auction with no reserve spots and you kick off the auction.

Then, after complete, you change to draft and add your reserve spots and start the draft.

I'm running 1 league that is using this format next week.

Comment

Would be pretty massive to leave CBS after literally... 19 years. Man.

I'd be tempted though if I had to for this. You like Fantrax?

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                    Would be pretty massive to leave CBS after literally... 19 years. Man.

I'd be tempted though if I had to for this. You like Fantrax?
                    I guess my question with leaving CBS is why not?
                    So far I like Fantrax, and it is cheaper than CBS too. I'm not aware of anything that CBS offers that Fantrax does not. It is much more customizable.
                    With CBS you are buying the "it has worked for 19 years" primarily. Which has some value.
                    For a startup (which my league on fantrax is), it makes sense to use Fantrax.

Comment

Working...
                    X