P =
    P =

FARM:
    D. Fowler - OF - OAK
    C. Stewart - OF - DET
    AJ Puk - SP - OAK
    A. Hansen - SP - CWS

Plans:

Load up pitching staff for $100-$115 if prices are okay... Stockpile SP flyers, don't pay for RP, FA always yields gems, SVs can be had in trade... On offense, don't pay $45 for anybody, spread the money, keep 2-3 holes to be filled via Farm and trade including a $1 spot for D. Fowler to jump to quickly.

Full Roster (Keepers in BOLD):

C = G. Sanchez $5
    C = M. Zunino $13
    1B = J. Hicks $1
    2B = B. Dozier $28
    SS = J. Segura $34
    3B = K. Seager $27
    MI = R. Mondesi $5
    CI = Z. Cozart $16 *(3B elig. after week 1)
    OF = M. Brantley $19
    OF = S. Piscotty $15
    OF = M. Joyce $7
    OF = C. Granderson $4
    OF = V. Reyes $1
    UT = R. Torreyes $1
    P = M. Stroman $15
    P = J. Berrios $5
    P = B. Snell $6
    P = M. Clevinger $1
    P = K. Kela $1
    P = C. Green $2
    P = L. McCullers $29
    P = J. Happ $15
    P = T. Skaggs $5

RSV1 - N. Tropeano - SP - LAA - $4
    RSV2 - M. Boyd - SP - DET - $3
    RSV3 - J. Biagini - SP - TOR - $1
    RSV4 - F. Martes - SP/RP - HOU - $1
    RSV5 - A. Warren - RP - NYY - $1

Comments: Spent $10-$25 less on pitching than planned, but probably unnecessary to load up more than I did. I had it in mind that Seattle has a killer offense, so Segura $34 + Seager $27 makes sense. Both feel like reliable 2nd tier production at livable prices. Segura $34 took me out of the bidding on Deshields $36/Kiermaier $29. Seager $27 was 2nd prize for missing Encarnacion $43/Donaldson $47 and spreading the rest elsewhere... Cozart $16 I had targetted up to the $18-$20 range, so loved that price. Brantley I had listed as $25 max, so I love the upside at $19. Piscotty $15 was 2nd prize after Grichuk went $21, and I let K. Calhoun slip by for a bargain $14... Probably would prefer the reliability of Calhoun for same price, Piscotty wasn't a target, but $15 seems fine. C. Gomez went $14, my 2nd prize target was a $7 Joyce... Span went $8, when I had a $9 max bid... I passed, instead I spent that dollar days budget on Granderson $4, Tropeano $4, and M. Boyd $3. No regrets there. Pitching market was wild. Stud SP inflation was 50-80%. Kluber $53, Verlander $45, Archer $36, G. Cole $34, Keuchel $33... of those I like Cole most, Archer is a fair deal too... but I couldn't pull the trigger until McCullers $29. G. Richards $24, Ohtani $23 also in that range... I wanted Ohtani, but cannot risk losing $23 in production if he goes to AAA.... For my $15 SP, here's the market: Gausman $19, Cobb $17, Lynn $15, Odorizzi $14, Estrada $14, Pomeranz $12, E. Santana $10... from that group I like my $15 Happ pick, who I had projected in the $18 range.

Flyers of note: I used dollar days for prospects rather than higher end $1 offensive plugs. I love Biagini as a $1 stash. He supposedly figured something out in 2nd half last year, and he'll be able to work on starting in AAA. Same with $1 F. Martes. He's had a great spring, and was a consensus top 25 prospect last year, and is only 22. Will also get to work things out in AAA, potential to get traded into starting role, or closer potential if starting isn't working. Tropeano $4 could pass all of Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker this year on the depth chart. I was surprised he went as high as $4, but shouldn't be so surprised at my clever league-mates.

Bargains I regret letting go: Z. Britton $7... he'll be such a good stash. Possible SVs with elite numbers, and possibility of becoming a highly valuable keeper. I had $12 as my price going in, not sure why I stopped at $7. K. Calhoun $14 was a bargain, as mentioned... J. Iglesias $3 should be a solid earner, no idea how he slipped past me...
    Adam Jones $21 was likely too low, but our league fades aging stars more harshly at times.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

$29 for mccullers = the biggest WOW possible

I, too, find myself buying lots of shares in Seattle hitters. Never thought about it until reading your post.

Comment

I really like what you've done Jesse, the team is solid as a rock both pitching and hitting. I love the Cozart, Joyce, and Piscotty buys, all are undervalued IMO Brantly is obviously a risk, but one that can pay off nicely. I do think that you have a few too many holes in the lineup, at 1B, OF, and U...but I suspect that you can flip some pitching for better bats. Solid speed, good power, but your BA might be an issue with Grandy and Zunino...and unless Segura hits well over .300 again, I don't see anything to balance it off.

Pitching is very good, probably better than you needed to have. Like you said, there are a bunch of tradeable guys there, so you'll have to go wheeling and dealing during the year. I think that 29 for McCullers is high, but if he stays healthy, it could be a bargain. All in all, a very solid teal that should be in the hunt all year.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        $29 for mccullers = the biggest WOW possible

I, too, find myself buying lots of shares in Seattle hitters. Never thought about it until reading your post.
        McCullers is all about staying healthy. If I get 180ish IP from McCullers, I'm confident he'll justify the price. If I only get 100 IP, mediocre innings... I'll be unhappy, but needed to take a shot at an ace SP. Maybe with my SP depth I should have pushed that $29 to offense and turned Piscotty into Encarnacion or something, but I was set on dominating starting pitching and filling offensive holes plus saves later.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Right there with you on Seattle (as owner of Cruz and Haniger) as I was in the bidding on Seager and Cano and from my post probably regret not getting one of those as well. Tropeano was also someone I targeted with the other Angels on my staff but was short on funds so couldn't top you. Think that you'll profit from that $4 buy.

As others have mentioned, $29 on McCullers is a little rich but there wasn't any clear-cut better options at that point so don't fault you for getting your guy. As you mentioned, skills aren't the issue.

Segura to me was a huge bargain at $34 but I couldn't push you on that one as I had both SS and MI filled as well as UT. 1B is a wasteland so I don't fault you for basically punting it.

The only issue on offense I see is the one Steve pointed out which is BA. Rotolab projections have you at .259 and take that with a grain of salt as there is high variability in that category imo but directionally it at least indicates that you could use another anchor.

You are always in it year in and out (besting me a couple of times) so no doubt this year will be no different.

Comment

As an observer not in your league, there's some things I really like and don't like about your buys.

Likes: Cozart, Joyce, Grandyman, Happ are all good to excellent values. Segura and KSeager are solid buys. Torreyes will be a steal.

Dislikes: I gotta admit, I spend the extra $6-8 and go get an Archer, Cole or Keuchel over McCullers, and get some savings out of the $5 spent on Skaggs. Given your BA issue, I see why you bought Brantley, but I don't like his health risk in a league as deep and sharp as yours is. Skaggs...I admittedly don't believe.

Don't understand: I get the concept of buying prospects on the cheap, but I don't get why you didn't cover at least one of the positions with someone on offense in the reservesy. I'd have picked someone who can give you something on offense over Matt Boyd in the 2nd reserve round. I get that in a 12-team only league, there's always one or two holes, but you've left yourself with three black holes on offense.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              As an observer not in your league, there's some things I really like and don't like about your buys.

Likes: Cozart, Joyce, Grandyman, Happ are all good to excellent values. Segura and KSeager are solid buys. Torreyes will be a steal.

Dislikes: I gotta admit, I spend the extra $6-8 and go get an Archer, Cole or Keuchel over McCullers, and get some savings out of the $5 spent on Skaggs. Given your BA issue, I see why you bought Brantley, but I don't like his health risk in a league as deep and sharp as yours is. Skaggs...I admittedly don't believe.

Don't understand: I get the concept of buying prospects on the cheap, but I don't get why you didn't cover at least one of the positions with someone on offense in the reservesy. I'd have picked someone who can give you something on offense over Matt Boyd in the 2nd reserve round. I get that in a 12-team only league, there's always one or two holes, but you've left yourself with three black holes on offense.
              Thanks for this feedback! I agree in principal that I wanted an "ace", and should have been in on Archer up to $40 (went for $36)... at the end of the day, I just don't believe in Archer's ratios being worthy of ace pricing. You buy Archer for his K's and he brings 2nd tier ratios. That's okay, but with my depth of mid-tier guys to stream, I didn't want to pay for the extra K's, I wanted a better chance at dominant ratios, and I believe McCullers has better chance at dominant ratios than Archer.

Brantley and Segura will hopefully prop up my BA a bit, but need 450+ AB from Brantley, hopefully a little more than 2017's ordinary performance, same with Piscotty, need more than mediocrity... I cannot afford a stinker from Zunino (he's my biggest potential liability, IMO), need luck with saves from Kela... need Mondesi to nab 30+ SB, and still need help in SB after that... So it needs work, and my trade chips are only so-so...

I should've let Skaggs go... I've owned him every AL year. $5 is fine, I just couldn't stand to watch someone else reap the benefits if Skaggs finally throws 170+ IP... Stockpiling decent SP is always tough, so I'm happy that I've got 8 current SP, 2 SP in AAA. Hoping 1 of Tropeano, Boyd, Biagini breaks out and allows me to deal one of the highly valuable extendable guys (Clevinger, Snell, Berrios) later.

6 high draft picks will determine if I get the ammunition to acquire these needed supplemental pieces, or trade off the scraps.

Comment

Solid team. A couple of injury and playing time risks, but that's inherent in the game we play.. If they work out, we look really smart, if they don't we scramble and work the WW.

As someone who's been burned by Brantley's health before, he is a huge overpay to me. I have no faith in him staying on the field. IF he does, good for you. Skaggs is another "china doll" who seems to break down if the wind blows.

Comment

Working...
                X