12-Team AL Keeper Recap - $50 Pitching / $215 Hitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-Team AL Keeper Recap - $50 Pitching / $215 Hitting

So this is a RJ-centric AL-Only league (standard 5x5) with very heavy inflation (north of 40%). I had an initial attack plan for the auction but as in a lot of cases once it starts you need to adapt. Keepers first:

KEEPERS:
    C =
    C =
    1B =
    2B =
    SS = Xander Bogaerts $20
    3B =
    MI =Adeiny Hechavarria $3
    CI =
    OF = Aaron Judge $5
    OF = Byron Buxton $15
    OF = Nomar Mazara $5
    OF = Mitch Haniger $14
    OF =
    UT =
    P = Trevor Bauer $7
    P = Danny Duffy $7
    P = Mike Minor $1
    P = Andrew Heaney $1
    P =
    P =
    P =
    P =
    P =
    FARM (players of note for 2018) = Mateo, Alford

PLAN A: My primary goal was to buy Kluber for $50ish or Verlander for $40ish but both went higher than I was comfortable with (Kluber $53, Verlander $45). I was in the bidding for the other 2 top pitchers (Cole & Keuchel) but they too went way over my valuation.

PLAN B: $50 Pitching staff. With 4 cheap SPs as keepers, my backup plan was to load up on offense and just build a staff where I have 8-9 SPs and quality MRs (no saves were really available) as this is a daily lineup change league (weekly FAAB) so you can stream. As soon as I missed out on Kluber & Verlander I was pretty sure this was how it was going to go.

PLAYERS I BOUGHT WORTH COMMENTARY:
    1. Edwin Encarnacion $43 = If you haven't noticed, 1B in the AL is shit and EE was far and away the best available option so I was going to get him
    2. Nelson Cruz $40 = Wasn't concerned about filling up UT (1 spot)
    3. Kevin Kiermaier $29 = Wanted 1 more 20+ SB guy and willing to roll the dice on health
    4. Jake Odorizzi $14 = I was in the bidding on a lot of ~$15 SPs and I wanted only 1 so got Odorizzi. Should be better than league average innings on a good club
    5. Russell Martin $4 = This is a 2 C league so I get that he's old but not sure why he was so cheap

OTHER $1-2 P DART THROWS: Liam Hendriks, Ryan Buchter, Joe Smith, Carson Smith & Yusmeiro Petit

FULL ROSTER (keepers in bold):
    C = Caleb Joseph $6
    C = Russell Martin $4
    1B = Edwin Encarnacion $43
    2B = Brandon Drury $9
    SS = Xander Bogaerts $20
    3B = Yolmer Sanchez $8
    MI = Adeiny Hechavarria $3
    CI = Mitch Moreland $12
    OF = Aaron Judge $5
    OF = Byron Buxton $15
    OF = Nomar Mazara $5
    OF = Mitch Haniger $14
    OF = Kevin Kiermaier $29
    UT = Nelson Cruz $40
    P = Trevor Bauer $7
    P = Danny Duffy $7
    P = Mike Minor $1
    P = Andrew Heaney $1
    P = Jake Odorizzi $14
    P = Matt Shoemaker $7
    P = Ian Kennedy $4
    P = Yusmeiro Petit $2
    P = Liam Hendriks $1
    BENCH: JaCoby Jones $2, Ryan Buchter $2, Carson Smith $2, Joe Smith $1, Miguel Gonzalez $1

Reviewing Rotolab, I think I am like 30 HRs above #2 so probably a little overboard on offensive counting stats but figure I can trade as needed. There was one dominant team going into the auction so my goal was to leave the auction feeling good about 2nd or 3rd to start the season and at least per Rotolab this is where I stand (3rd) . In total, I only spent $50 on Pitching so clearly there is work to be done there but with this again being a daily move league I do feel like carrying 4 P on your bench allows you to stream and manage ratios and matchups. Thus, feel I'll be in good shape with Wins & Ks but will need to manage Ratios and barring something very unlikely absorb a 1 point in the Save category.

On offense, I feel really good about the 4 counting categories (likely to be 3rd in SBs but 1st in the others) but BA is a little lighter than ideal. I have never executed a P staff this cheap before so trying something new. Considering I have 4 SP keepers under-value, even though I only spent $50 this is more like an $80 staff or so imo.

Should be interesting.

Looks good. I might have gone a little more stars n' scrubs, shifted some of the Drury/Sanchez $17 into pitching, since you could afford to wait to fill those lineup spots... but I get the urge to not carry non-producers in your active lineup until trade season, so I think you made the trade-off of offensive stability to start the year, for pitching volatility. It's always easier to find a shiny new toy in free agents among the pitching heap than the hitting one. If it gets you to trade season in the top 5, and you have the trade chips to make the necessary adds, it can work out.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Fave buys: Shoemaker $7, Odorizzi $14, Kiermaier $29, Encarnacion $43, Martin $4

SP market was tough, but I feel like those are 2 decent prices for those arms. Kiermaier has the profile to be a huge earner if he can stay healthy. I like Kiermaier at $29 more than Deshields $36... I wanted both, but they went above my budget. Encarnacion was good value among stud pricing, and Martin seems like he's close to cooked, but could still be a solid producer with slight BA hit.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Thanks. I also wanted to try and avoid AL East Pitchers which I was able to do. Agree on Drury, Sanchez and even Moreland where in hindsight I should have probably consolidated them into 1 stronger asset (e.g. Cano, Kinsler or Seager who all went for high $20s) but I wanted to collect ABs and avoid dead spots which are really hard to fill in only leagues. Those guys also came up earlier and I got them around the prices I slotted for them not knowing what the bargains would be later.

I think had I gone into the auction planning a $50 pitching staff the offense would look a little different (for better or worse I like the Pitchers I got at the prices by and large). EE, Cruz and Kiermaier were clear targets but every other bat was a function of the auction and my style to price enforce within a few dollars of valuations. I didn't get burned with that activity thankfully (came close a few times). I was strong after Donaldson and Machado and had I bought either I think my offense would look much different (and much more stars and scrubs) but they went super high ($47 and $50) and didn't want to push it.

Steve's team will be tough to beat and I have Keith's as a solid #2. Thus, not sure I will be looking to make a run and trade guys like Vlad Jr but we'll see.

Comment

I think that you did a very good job sticking to a plan...you've got a great balance on offense, and for a 50 dollar pitching staff, I like it a lot. Like you said, saves were virtually non-existent in the bidding, so you did well to pivot. Odorizzi was a really nice buy, and so was Cruz...I had Nellie last year at 54 and didn't regret it a bit. Good enough speed as well, I think that Buxton (homer) is due for a 40 + steal year, and I was in on Kiermeier as well, but just didn't have the cash at the time after my 2 big buys.

You'll be in there all year long...you have a great knack of in-season management, so I think that you'll patch the holes that you have. Nice job. You outbid me several times for player I really wanted...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
          X