Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend Hendricks?

12-team mixed pitching categories are W+QS, Saves, ERA, Whip, Ks

I have him at $2 can extend to $7 for 2018 & 2019. Mathematically, $12 is the tipping point. If he earns more, extending is the right call in terms of total profit. If he earns less, then extending is the wrong call.

I'm leaning towards a 1-year extension but my Cubs allegiance may be influencing my decision. And he's been great this spring.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

I really have a hard time extending any pitcher past one year. So my call would be for only one year.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      12-team mixed pitching categories are W+QS, Saves, ERA, Whip, Ks

I have him at $2 can extend to $7 for 2018 & 2019. Mathematically, $12 is the tipping point. If he earns more, extending is the right call in terms of total profit. If he earns less, then extending is the wrong call.

I'm leaning towards a 1-year extension but my Cubs allegiance may be influencing my decision. And he's been great this spring.
      Cubs homer or not (and I understand) giving a year is the right and good thing to do.

Comment

in this case I would do the one-year extension as well
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I'm at odds with most here in that I have no problem extending pitchers past one year, but the caveat is that I most often only feel comfortable doing so with really top end arms. I think it is foolish to leave so, so much value on the table by not extending a really elite guy like Kershaw and Kluber (I extended them both multiple years back in the day, and my only regret was I didn't go longer). But in a 12 team mixed league, I'm probably not extending any pitchers that don't have top 10-15 SP upside. I don't think Hendricks has that, so I'd just take my profits on him in a league that size. Unless you can keep like 20 players, chances are you will have other good keeper options next year.

Comment

Guys who succeed by outpitching their peripherals make me nervous, especially when those peripherals are trending downwards, as was the case with Hendricks from 2016 to 2017. Kudos to him for stringing together some successful seasons regardless, but how much longer can he keep it going? A 1-year extension wouldn't be disastrous, but I'd probably be content to just keep him at $2 this year and enjoy the profit.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I agree with Mr. sheep...keep the $$ for the draft and take your profit.

Comment

Three yeas and three nays. Back to the coin!
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

In a 12 team mixed, a guy like Hendricks simply isnt a high impact pitcher. Yea he is good but you wont be kicking yourself because he turned into clayton kershaw overnight and you didnt extend him a year. Just be practical

Comment

It is the addition of QS to W that makes me want to extend him a year. He had 24 starts with 7 wins and 14 QS with only 24 starts last year. He will (hopefully) start 30 games. His wins are projected at 13 did not see projected QS but I expect more than last year.

Scherzer had 22, Kershaw 20 QS last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      I agree with Mr. sheep...keep the $$ for the draft and take your profit.
                      Agree..if he loses any off his fastball he could go south rather quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        Agree..if he loses any off his fastball he could go south rather quickly.
                        With a fastball in the mid to upper 80's and sinker about the same he is more Maddux like than Randy Johnson. He has a great defense behind him. I am not very concerned about him losing any off his fastball.

In the event that DMT would need to trade Hendricks, he will get more for him if he is not a dead contract. I would be on board for not extending if he was $7 going to $12. But $2 going to $7 is a pretty easy choice for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          With a fastball in the mid to upper 80's and sinker about the same he is more Maddux like than Randy Johnson. He has a great defense behind him. I am not very concerned about him losing any off his fastball.

In the event that DMT would need to trade Hendricks, he will get more for him if he is not a dead contract. I would be on board for not extending if he was $7 going to $12. But $2 going to $7 is a pretty easy choice for me.
                          Yea, and I have his jersey.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                          X