New to FAAB. How much to bid early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to FAAB. How much to bid early?

8 team - NL only league. This is a long running league but we just switched to FAAB this year. $100 FAAB budget (but we can do $0 bids -- not sure if that is normal or not).
    We had an early draft. Arrieta went for $100 (FAAB units). Is that a good bid or not?

If Cobb or Holland signs early in the NL, what is a good/reasonable bid for those two?

Use FAAB sooner than later. It's worth less as the season goes on because you get fewer games from acquired players.

That said, I don't love blowing $100 on Arrieta. Even with $0 bids, the only players you can acquire are guys no one else puts a claim on. It will be difficult to acquire players unless you are ahead of the curve.

I'd probably go up to 60 on Cobb and 70 on Holland if I needed a SP or saves.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
      Use FAAB sooner than later. It's worth less as the season goes on because you get fewer games from acquired players.

That said, I don't love blowing $100 on Arrieta. Even with $0 bids, the only players you can acquire are guys no one else puts a claim on. It will be difficult to acquire players unless you are ahead of the curve.

I'd probably go up to 60 on Cobb and 70 on Holland if I needed a SP or saves.
      The problem with going that high on a player is that you cripple yourself against the cap. It gives you no room to work with, and no leverage to deal those players later, IMO. I do agree that you should use it sooner rather than later...better to get 5 1/2 months of stats instead of 2 months...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Are you allowed to bid on AL players coming into the NL in season? If so you want to be able to compete for those.

Is this a keeper league? If so, what are the salaries for FAAB acquired players?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          The problem with going that high on a player is that you cripple yourself against the cap. It gives you no room to work with, and no leverage to deal those players later, IMO. I do agree that you should use it sooner rather than later...better to get 5 1/2 months of stats instead of 2 months...
          See below: all new FAAB acquisitions are always $10 (unless it was a previously dropped player with a higher salary). Our league does have a $360 salary cap to prevent lopsided dump trades.

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          Are you allowed to bid on AL players coming into the NL in season? If so you want to be able to compete for those.

Is this a keeper league? If so, what are the salaries for FAAB acquired players?
          We can bid on AL players coming over to the NL in-season.

It is a keeper league. The salary of any new FA is always $10 (unless it was a previously dropped player with a higher salary).

Any player that was not drafted (i.e. acquired through FAAB) are thrown back into the draft the next year.
          Last edited by whalewang; 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
            See below: all new FAAB acquisitions are always $10 (unless it was a previously dropped player with a higher salary). Our league does have a $360 salary cap to prevent lopsided dump trades.

We can bid on AL players coming over to the NL in-season.

It is a keeper league. The salary of any new FA is always $10 (unless it was a previously dropped player with a higher salary).
            Well, hell, never heard of a FAAB system like that. Then by all means, spend away!

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Well, hell, never heard of a FAAB system like that. Then by all means, spend away!
              It sounds like we're doing it wrong?

Comment

LOL...there is no wrong, just different. It's actually a pretty fair system, nobody gets penalized too much for an aggressive FAAB bid, but there is a bit of punishment if you blow all your FAAB too early.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Our league keeps the winning bid as the salary for anyone acquired via FAAB. I think it is the most common way.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Our league keeps the winning bid as the salary for anyone acquired via FAAB. I think it is the most common way.
                    If you are in a keeper league:
                    If you win a FAAB, can you keep him the following year at the FAAB price?

Does your league have a salary cap? What is the cap?

Comment

If Trout was traded to the NL, his salary would become $10?

Comment

Right. Our in- season cap is 365 (our auction cap is 265 because we auction our reserves).
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

To Harmon's point, you'll likely have to come up with something to keep all of your FAAB acquisitions from being 10 dollar players...that would eventually mess with the salary structure of your league. One way is to simply not allow any FAAB buys to be kept the following year. Another might be to decide as a league to use an agreed upon source for the players price. Lots of sites have them, so it wouldn't be hard to find.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Keeping the winning bid as the salary, yes. But I have never understood the rationale for counting full FAAB salaries against the salary cap. The whalewang way makes more sense to me, especially for the guy who buys the free agent.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Working...
                            X