No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie Hernandez, a closer who won the AL MVP & Cy Young Award for the world champion 1984 Detroit Tigers, died at age 69. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Willie Hernandez, a closer who won the AL MVP & Cy Young Award for the world champion 1984 Detroit Tigers, died at age 69. RIP.

I'm not sure why, but I'm confident I pulled more of this card than any other one as a kid. Topps '87 Willie Hernandez.

Comment

• Ron Hodges, former Mets catcher, died on Friday at age 74. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Longtime Atlanta Braves mascot Chief Noc-a-homa (Levi Walker) died at age 80. RIP.

Comment

• Preston Hanna, a swingman primarily for the Atlanta Braves in an 8-year MLB career that stretched from 1975-1982, died at age 69. RIP.

Comment

• Vic Davalillo, outfielder who played for both the World Series champion Pirates in 1971 and A's in 1973 as well as the Indians, Angels, Cardinals, and Dodgers has died at age 86. RIP.

Vic_Davalillo_PIT.jpg
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ryan Minor, a two sport star who played in both the MLB & NBA, died from cancer at just age 49. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Ryan Minor, a two sport star who played in both the MLB & NBA, died from cancer at just age 49. RIP.
                  He's also the guy who replaced Cal Ripken at third base for the game that "the streak" ended. RIP.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Bud Harrelson, a longtime shortstop and manager, passed away at age 79. RIP.

Comment

• Jimy Williams, manager of Toronto, Boston and Houston, died on 1/26/24. He also was a bench coach for the Phillies when they won their WS title in 2008. He was 80 y/o. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                        Jimy Williams, manager of Toronto, Boston and Houston, died on 1/26/24. He also was a bench coach for the Phillies when they won their WS title in 2008. He was 80 y/o. RIP.
                        >>>>>

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Legendary Florida State baseball coach Mike Martin died yesterday at the age of 79.
                          - 2,029 career wins (most all-time)
                          - 19 conference titles
                          - 17 College World Series appearances

About five years ago, during warmups vs. Ga. Tech in Atlanta, I brought my then 11-year-old son, a pitcher, up to the dugout. I said, "Coach Martin, you've got a budding pitcher here in Atlanta!" Coach stood up, came over to my son, and said: "We'd love to have you." My son remembers that to this day. He was one of the great ones - great coach, great mentor, greater person.

RIP Coach.

MF-MIKE-MARTIN-COMP.jpg

Comment

• Al McBean, the first MLB pitcher from the Virgin Islands and The Sporting News NL Fireman of the Year for the Pirates in 1964 with 21 saves, 1.91 ERA, and 1.04 WHIP. The Pirates made him a starter in 1968 and he went 9-12 with a 3.58 ERA and 1.35 WHIP. The Padres selected him during the October 1968 MLB expansion draft. He started the Padres 5th game ever, gave up 4 runs in 7 innings, and lost to the Giants and Juan Marichal. He only pitched that one game for the Padres before being traded to the Dodgers. He was also Roberto Clemente's roommate in Pittsburgh. Al McBean died on Jan. 31 at the age of 85. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 02-06-2024, 03:20 AM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Don Gullett, a starting pitcher on the Big Red Machine Reds teams in the early-mid 1970s and then the NY Yankee WS teams from 1976-1978, died at age 73. RIP.

Comment

• Jose DeLeon, a pitcher for 5 MLB teams from 1983-1995 who led the NL in Ks in 1989 with 201, died from cancer at age 63. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X