No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earl Weaver dies at 82. He was one fun guy to watch.

Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver has died of an apparent heart attack while on a Caribbean cruise, according to multiple reports.

Comment

Chuck Hinton, a power/speed OFer in the 1960s and the last Senators player to hit .300 passed away at age 78. He was also the longtime head coach at Howard University.

Comment

1971 NL Rookie of the Year Earl Williams (Braves) dies at age 64

I have too many Topps baseball rookie cards of these guys whose names have been turning up of late

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          1971 NL Rookie of the Year Earl Williams (Braves) dies at age 64

I have too many Topps baseball rookie cards of these guys whose names have been turning up of late
          When Williams first came up, he was a dynamite hitter for a catcher, not as good a hitter as Johnny Bench (for power) or Manny Sanguillen (for BA), but darned good. His problems lay on defense. He wound up playing a lot of 1B to keep his bat in the lineup. When he was dealt to Baltimore, at first he played C against righties and 1B against lefties, but soon went into a downward spiral offensively that wound up ending his career. Up at age 22, done at 29. Definitely not the career trajectory of your average catcher.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Rick Camp, who once posted consecutive seasons with a sub-2.00 ERA as a Braves reliever, reportedly died Thursday. He was 59.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, authorities said there was nothing that suggested Camp's death was a result of anything other than natural causes.

Camp, a native of Trion, Ga., who also attended two colleges in the state, spent nine years on the Braves' pitching staff, mostly in the bullpen. The organization drafted him in the seventh round in 1974.

Camp logged a 1.91 ERA in 1980, which helped him place 20th in the balloting for the National League Most Valuable Player Award. In '81, he compiled a 9-3 record and a 1.78 ERA to go along with 17 saves.

Camp tallied 21 victories between 1982-83, spending time in both the starting rotation and bullpen. In all, he recorded a 3.37 ERA and 56-49 record across nine big league seasons.

Camp also hit one very memorable home run in 197 career plate appearances. With the Braves trailing the Mets, 11-10, in the bottom of the 18th inning on July 4, 1985, Camp slugged a two-out homer to extend a game the Braves eventually lost, 16-13, in 19 innings.

Comment

Brad "The Animal" Lesley -- who played a few years of Major League Baseball before appearing in a slew of '90s sports movies -- passed away this weekend. He was 54.

Lesley's ex-wife, Chiho Svimonoff, tells TMZ ... Lesley had been suffering from kidney problems and had been living in a nursing home for the past seven months, where he was receiving dialysis.

Svimonoff says Lesley was rushed to a hospital in Marina Del Rey on Saturday night and ultimately died from kidney failure.

Lesley played for the Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers from 1982 to 1985 before switching to acting. In the '90s, he appeared in "Mr. Baseball," "Space Jam" ... and, of course, he played that angry pitcher with the goatee in "Little Big League."
              Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/29/brad-l...#ixzz2S4E7D9YO

And for those of you who are MXC fans, he was one of the enforcers on that show:

Comment

Fascinating. I love this thread revo, well done.

I was curious what type of team Cincinatti was when Lesley was with them, given the Big Red Machine of the 70's; in 1982 they were 61-101!!! Lesley however was decent when he was up, with a 2.58 ERA & 1.04 ratio over 38 .1 IP, with 29 Ks.

and yeah, I miss MXC!
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Former MLB reliever Justin Miller was found dead in his home on Wednesday. He was just 35 and the cause of death has not yet been determined.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Former MLB reliever Justin Miller was found dead in his home on Wednesday. He was just 35 and the cause of death has not yet been determined.
                    That dude had all kinds of tattoos. Seemed like a bit of a wild one, it'll be interesting to see what the cause was.

Comment

GREENVILLE, Miss. (AP) — George "Boomer" Scott, a three-time All-Star first baseman during the 1960s and 1970s who slugged 271 career homers, has died. He was 69.

Washington County coroner Methel Johnson confirmed Scott died on Sunday in Greenville.

Scott spent most of his 14-year career with the Boston Red Sox and Milwaukee Brewers. He hit 27 homers during his rookie season with the Red Sox in 1966 and had his best year with the Brewers in 1975, when he hit 36 homers and had 109 RBI.

Scott was a big man, listed at 6-foot-2 and over 200 pounds in his playing days, but surprising nimble in the field. He won eight Gold Gloves, playing primarily first base.

Comment

Ex-Cubs pitcher Frank Castillo, age 44.
                        drowned

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Frank Castillo. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

he also pitched for the Jays at one point; between him & Justin Miller it's been a bad summer for former toronto bullpen pitchers.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Former Tiger Gates Brown dies at age 74.

Comment

great Gates Brown story here

On August 7, 1968, Brown made history. He wasn't in the starting lineup, so he decided to grab two hot dogs from the clubhouse. He was ordered by manager Mayo Smith to pinch hit. He stuffed the hot dogs in his jersey to hide them from his manager.

"I always wanted to get a hit every time I went to the plate. But this was one time I didn't want to get a hit. I'll be damned if I didn't smack one in the gap and I had to slide into second—head first, no less. I was safe with a double. But when I stood up, I had mustard and ketchup and smashed hot dogs and buns all over me.

"The fielders took one look at me, turned their backs and damned near busted a gut laughing at me. My teammates in the dugout went crazy." After fining Brown $100, Smith said, "What the hell were you doing eating on the bench in the first place?" Brown: "I decided to tell him the truth. I said, 'I was hungry. Besides, where else can you eat a hot dog and have the best seat in the house'"

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Andy Pafko, 5-time All-Star who played for the Cubs' last NL pennant winner - in 1945 - made it to age 92

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X