Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Bunning, RIP

Comment

• BOSTON — Former major leaguer Jim Piersall, who bared his soul about his struggles with mental illness in his book "Fear Strikes Out," has died. He was 87.

Piersall died Saturday at a care facility in Wheaton, Illinois, after a monthslong illness, according to the Boston Red Sox, for whom Piersall played for seven of his 17 seasons in the majors.

Comment

• Former Met Anthony "A.Y." Young, who lost an MLB-record 27 consecutive decisions in 1992-93, died at age 51. RIP.

Attached Files

Comment

• didn't really have anywhere else to put this so I picked this thread ... I see that 15 years ago today Ted Williams died. One of the more amazing numbers about him (and there are so many) ... lifetime OBP: .482
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            didn't really have anywhere else to put this so I picked this thread ... I see that 15 years ago today Ted Williams died. One of the more amazing numbers about him (and there are so many) ... lifetime OBP: .482
            He was a head of his time........
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              He was a head of his time........
              Head and shoulders above his peers.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Head and shoulders above his peers.
                chill out on the puns, guys

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                  chill out on the puns, guys
                  Sorry, I lost my head.

Comment

• Three-time All Star Lee May died at age 74. RIP.

Comment

• Phils' legend Darren Daulton succumbs to brain cancer at age 55. Terrible.

Comment

• 1979 MVP and former manager Don Baylor dead at age 68. Terrible day for baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Phils' legend Darren Daulton succumbs to brain cancer at age 55. Terrible.

Really sad to see that last night. I hadn't heard the cancer came back. There was some crazy talk years ago from him, but about 5 years ago he started doing a radio show on one of the local stations, and he was fantastic. Humble, open, gracious to the fans... it was my favorite show to listen to.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Former ump Ken Kaiser, who was an umpire in the AL from 1977 until 1999, when he was a part of Richie Phillips' group of umpires who mass resigned and was not re-hired, died at age 72.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              Really sad to see that last night. I hadn't heard the cancer came back. There was some crazy talk years ago from him, but about 5 years ago he started doing a radio show on one of the local stations, and he was fantastic. Humble, open, gracious to the fans... it was my favorite show to listen to.
                              Some great stories here...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Gene "Stick" Michael, GM of the Yankees in the 80s and 90s, died at age 82.

Comment

Working...
                                X