Cargo Resigning With The Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cargo Resigning With The Rockies

RW saying this is being worked out. Why? This cuts into Tapia and Dahl PT. Maybe McMahon if Desmond plays 1st.

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
    RW saying this is being worked out. Why? This cuts into Tapia and Dahl PT. Maybe McMahon if Desmond plays 1st.
    Ugh...that's about as ugly an outcome as there can be for fantasy players. Do I keep my 5 buck Dahl now?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yep bad news for Dahl owners.

Comment

Had an owner in my league take a leap of faith and extend Dahl a week just last week. He really believed Dahl would get the playing time starting this year. He still might, but I just don't see how it happens without an injury (which, is of course, certainly possible, and even likely). Still, I wouldn't want to bank on it and rely on Dahl as a part of my weekly line up at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Ugh...that's about as ugly an outcome as there can be for fantasy players. Do I keep my 5 buck Dahl now?
          Trade him to me. I'm going anywhere.

Comment

I would surmise that with all the extended time off, Colorado believes Dahl needs additional time in AAA ball before coming back to the majors. And that CarGo gives them a better chance to win than Tapia does.

Horns, If you have a rebuilding team or two, I'd deal him if you can. He's got a lot more value to a rebuilder than your team.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Trade him to me. I'm going anywhere.
              LOL...we'll talk, for sure.

Chance, I believe that I can contend this season, I have a solid base of hitters, and decent pitching. If I get a little lucky at the auction, I could be in it.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

I agree, this does far more harm than good.

Comment

With Parra on the team I can't see much PT for Tapia or Dahl unless either there is an injury or McMahon tanks early and they move Desmond to 1st opening up LF. Right now the OF looks to be Desmond, Blackmon with Cargo and Parra sharing RF. Even Parra stands to lose ABs as Cargo will likely play against RHP. Parra hits lefty pretty good so this might be a good platoon.

Comment

Why?
                    1) Despite flashes of talent, Tapia hasn't proven he can hit. And when he has hit, there hasn't been much pop behind it.
                    2) Despite flashes of talent, Dahl hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to hit.
                    3) Parra exploits the Coors outfield well for hitting singles, but he can't compare with a locked-in CarGo for power and production. Parra should be a bench player on a contending team.
                    4) McMahon is still a question mark, and it's not a bad idea to have a value-priced back-up plan going into the season, rather than being caught pants-down mid-season if the rookie tanks.
                    5) Desmond was not good last year. While that was likely due to multiple injuries, if he does struggle again this year, then it's not a bad idea... yadda yadda yadda.
                    6) CarGo claims that resolving his season-long sleep issues turned it around for him the last 10 weeks of 2017. True or BS? Who knows? If true, "last 10 weeks of 2017" CarGo can help the team a lot more than any of the others likely could.

And then there are the off-field intangibles - he has been a huge fan favorite and a popular clubhouse leader for years. Nolan Arenado and others have lobbied furiously for his return.

As a Rox fan, I was fine going into 2018 with the outfield we had. However, if the money isn't crazy, I don't mind a one-year deal to see if CarGo really has returned to form (so long as they're willing to bench him or DFA him if he gets off to a rotten start again). It's a low-risk gamble that could benefit both sides greatly. It sucks for the next-generation guys and their fantasy owners, but, hey, sorry kids, we're trying to win this year.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Chance, I believe that I can contend this season, I have a solid base of hitters, and decent pitching. If I get a little lucky at the auction, I could be in it.
                      My mistake there. I meant to type "If you have a rebuilding team or two in your league..." Dang ADHD.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        As a Rox fan, I was fine going into 2018 with the outfield we had. However, if the money isn't crazy, I don't mind a one-year deal to see if CarGo really has returned to form (so long as they're willing to bench him or DFA him if he gets off to a rotten start again). It's a low-risk gamble that could benefit both sides greatly. It sucks for the next-generation guys and their fantasy owners, but, hey, sorry kids, we're trying to win this year.
                        If the $8 million guarantee being reported is accurate, then, yeah, I'm OK with this signing. It's a worthwhile gamble based on his body of work. I'll just reiterate - if he stinks like he did the first three and half months of last year, it's on Bud Black to give him a quick hook and give the others a shot.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

I'm getting concerned about my $18 Ian Desmond. I don't like the reduction in plate appearances per the CarGo signing. I really don't like the fact that he's trying to re-imagine his swing in the middle of spring training. The results tonight were dismal - three whiffs in three plate appearances, bringing his ST average down to .071. If he continues to look this bad throughout March, he might find AB's hard to come by in the early going in a loaded Rockies outfield.

Comment

03.18: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post believes that it's "doubtful" that Ryan McMahon makes the Opening Day roster. (Ian Desmond appears to be locked in as Colorado's first baseman to begin the year, so McMahon will likely be sent down to Triple-A Albuquerque to start the 2018 campaign. The 23-year-old blistered minor league pitching in 2017, and he has a sparkling .321/.357/.491 line so far in the Cactus League. With no guarantee to earn immediate playing time, McMahon is a risky proposition for this year, but there's tremendous upside in his left-handed bat -- especially when you consider where he'll play half of his home games.)
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Sounds like both McMahon and Dahl are starting out in AAA. Rockies OF looks to be Parra, Blackmon and Cargo with Tapia and Tauchman backing them up.

Comment

Working...
                              X