Made the Story for Altherr trade--NL-Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made the Story for Altherr trade--NL-Only

Well, I waited for a better offer, but none came that were as good. I cleared a logjam at SS [I had 4] moving Story $5.--option for Altherr $2.--option. Now I have a bunch of OF'ers, but this is manageable.
    What I am undecided about is whether to take all the value from Altherr at $2., sign him to one year=$7. or 2 years,=$12. My best calculation is for him to hold about $13.--$14. value going into the auction.
    What say you all?
    Thanks!
    Bearin' up!

I'd just take him for $2. No guarantee of playing time past this year.

Comment

Yeah, not a fan of that deal, but since it is made, maximize profit and play it safe with $2

Comment

Make it 3...no reason to extend what may be a 4th outfielder.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Make it 4. I argued against the deal, dislike it, but now that it’s done, no reason to weaken the value by adding $$$ to his contract.

Comment

so although I agree that you shouldn't extend him, one thing that makes Altherr slightly less bad than I think most people currently see him is that even if he ends up nominally being the fourth outfielder, he's still going to get a handful of starts a week, and the Phillies are talking about running a nine-man bullpen which is insane but would mean three hitters on the bench - one of Rupp/Alfaro, Altherr, and Tommy Joseph. So I suspect Altherr will get at least one AB per game most days as a pinch-hitter and defensive replacement for Hoskins.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

After reading Scott's keeper post; I would give him a year and quickly trade him after the auction.

Comment

Again, that has been my thought process, especially if he gets off to a quick start. With an extra year, he has a lot of value here in Philly.
                Bearin' up!

Comment

Working...
                X