The Ohtani Commish headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ohtani Commish headache

CBS has made Ohtani a single player with a primary position of starting pitcher, but with dual eligibility at DH, allowing players to use Ohtani at hitter or pitcher on a daily basis (ie- if you play him at pitcher, you get his pitching stats and if you play him at DH, you get his hitting stats - you cant have both on a single day).

But like most people on here, our league is not one to just go with the CBS mandate. I held a poll to see what direction we wanted to go with this in our 12 team mixed and it was a TIE! UGH! So now Im stuck and not sure which way to go.

Here were the two options:
    • Option 1: When he is drafted (or kept), you must declare upon winning him (or pre-draft, if keeping him in future years) whether you will use him as a hitter or pitcher ONLY for the upcoming season
    • Option 2: You can freely move him from offense to pitcher all season, as CBS describes above

So how is your league handling it? Am I missing any better options?

We are using him as your option 2.

Comment

My suggestion:

For tie breaking purposes, commish gets an extra vote. And to avoid the headache, the commish typically would want to just go with whatever the league softare dictates - otherwise, every transaction period add the headache of making sure the Ohtani owner doesn't use him in the non-declared position.

Comment

The dual option is standard everywhere except Yahoo. I expect Y! to follow suit next season. As a Commish so rule.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          The dual option is standard everywhere except Yahoo. I expect Y! to follow suit next season. As a Commish so rule.

J
          Agree.

Going against the industry standard and using a method that your software does not support == screwing over your commish.

Comment

I think he should have P/DH eligibility. Bellinger has 1B/OF eligibility. In daily leagues you can move him back and forth. Historically pitchers have been different, but why? Fantasy owners have missed out on a lot of Madison Bumgarner HRs over the years.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              Fantasy owners have missed out on a lot of Madison Bumgarner HRs over the years.
              We've also missed out on a lot of 0-3s.

But your point is well-taken. Maybe we should start taking on the pitchers hitting stats, especially if these crossover guys become more common.

Comment

Working...
              X