MLB and the Storage of Baseballs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB and the Storage of Baseballs...

1st time mandate for consistency in the storage of baseballs...

PHOENIX — For the first time, Major League Baseball is standardizing how its 30 clubs store baseballs, according to several sources familiar with the plan distributed to clubs. Baseballs must be stored in “an air conditioned and enclosed room” this season.

Major League Baseball will install climate sensors in each room to measure temperature and humidity throughout the 2018 season. That data will be used to determine whether a humidor is necessary in individual storage rooms for the 2019 season.

The Arizona Diamondbacks are installing a humidor this season. Their room is designed to store baseballs at the MLB recommendations of 70 degrees and 50% humidity. The Colorado Rockies have used a humidor since 2002 for the same reason Arizona is installing one: to combat the effects of storing baseballs in dry conditions. Lack of moisture makes baseballs slicker and gives them a higher coefficient of restitution, or liveliness.

MLB teams go through more than 260,000 baseballs in regular season games, or about nine to 10 dozen each game. Pallets of baseballs, boxed by the dozen, are shipped to clubs at various times of the year. They sometimes sit for months before usage, when they are unboxed and prepped before games with rubbing mud to reduce the shine and slickness. Until now, the baseballs were stored at the discretion of the club, leading to variances in temperature and humidity, which affect the flight of the ball.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I don't think the Marlins will be willing to pay the electric bill to do this in their stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
      I don't think the Marlins will be willing to pay the electric bill to do this in their stadium.
      Jeter will trade Realmuto to the Nats ...Rizzo picks up the electric bill.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
        It looks like MLB is at least fronting the cost of the installation (at least the way the article reads).

More importantly, this could potentially warp park factors across the league. It definitely has the potential to eliminate the recent power jump.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post

More importantly, this could potentially warp park factors across the league. It definitely has the potential to eliminate the recent power jump.
          Probably not. Most teams already store the balls in an air conditioned room. MLB is just standardizing the conditions.
          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
            Probably not. Most teams already store the balls in an air conditioned room. MLB is just standardizing the conditions.
            But they don't standardize the humidity. Its not like every park is storing them at 50 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
              But they don't standardize the humidity. Its not like every park is storing them at 50 percent.
              Correct, but the differences shouldn't be that extreme.
              Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X