X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD Martinez to BOS imminent

Pedro Gomez‏
    @pedrogomezESPN
    Just heard from a source close to the JD Martinez/Red Sox situation. The text: “It's very close. Almost completed. It's still being finalized but it's almost done.”

Boy I hope Moose is next

done deal, 5 years, $110m

I assume this squeezes out Mitch Moreland, with Hanley moving to 1B?

Comment

Looks like it is a done deal--5 years, 110 million. Management seems to be winning these battles this year, after some years of caving and overpaying/over-extending some older guys. This deal does seem as good as a 5 year deal for 110 million could be for JD though--highly front loaded, with 50 million paid in the first two years, and 72 million over the first three years, with opts outs after year 2 and 3. So, if he plays really well for the next couple of years, he could easily choose to opt out and make more in years 4 and 5 elsewhere.

If he plays great over the next two years, I could see him opting out and getting a 4 year, 100 million dollar deal, which would end up being the 6 year, 150 million he wanted. Of course, that assumes a lot, and doesn't come with the certainty and security he wanted. But it could still happen, if he plays as well the next couple of years as he did last year.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        done deal, 5 years, $110m

I assume this squeezes out Mitch Moreland, with Hanley moving to 1B?
        From what I read, Hanley has a 500 at bat or appearance clause, activating a $22 million dollar option. I think Boston wants to avoid the option...

Comment

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like my 9th keeper in my 10-team AL only will be a $26 JD Martinez.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like my 9th keeper in my 10-team AL only will be a $26 JD Martinez.
            Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Congrats!
              Thanks - stacks out my hitting big time. I really thought he'd end up in Arizona.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Martinez plays left today

Martinez plays left poorly today

Martinez mis plays a ball in left today, throw in is shit

Bogaerts tries to save poor throw from going into the dug out

Bogaerts injuries ankle trying to save ball

Bogaerts has to be helped off the field

Martinez should stay at dh as much as possible...

Comment

They play him in left because it is small. He's a DH if he can handle that---some guys can't hit right when DHing. Adam Dunn comes to mind.

Comment

The Monster is tricky. Balls come off a strange angles. Jim Rice, a mediocre fielder otherwise, learned to play the caroms very well. JD has a long way to go before even that level.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      The Monster is tricky. Balls come off a strange angles. Jim Rice, a mediocre fielder otherwise, learned to play the caroms very well. JD has a long way to go before even that level.

J
                      Yes, the monster has a learning curve, but JD could improve with experience. If my memory serves me right, even Manny learned to field decently out that in time, at least for a little while.

Comment

Working...
                      X