Ryon Healy: Hand Surgery (2/15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryon Healy: Hand Surgery (2/15)

out 4-to-6 weeks after surgery to remove a bone spur in his right hand.

Ouch. And their depth at 1B isn’t exactly stellar.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Hand surgery is a big red flag for power too right?

Comment

Depends what it is. Hamate bone is very bad for power, not sure about bone spurs specifically. I wouldn't think it'd be nearly as bad - it's not a fracture/weakness like a hamate bone injury, just some extraneous bone growth that needs to be removed, so it's probably more of an issue of tenderness than needing to strengthen the area again. I have no particular expertise in this other than having had bone spurs removed from my heel and toe once.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Daniel Vogelbach anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Daniel Vogelbach anyone?
            Makes me wonder. Or if they'll go out and sign a perceived lower risk LH 1B.

Comment

1) You realize that 6 weeks from now is Opening Day, right?
              2) They already have a lower risk LH 1B on their roster. He's not all that good any more, but if they had to get through a couple weeks with Brandon Moss playing first I'm sure they'd survive.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                2) They already have a lower risk LH 1B on their roster. He's not all that good any more, but if they had to get through a couple weeks with Brandon Moss playing first I'm sure they'd survive.
                But if the injury healing time is 6 weeks, he'll still need another 2-4 weeks worth of rehab to get into game shape as he's going to miss all of spring training now.

Comment

Healy is with Seattle now...Moss is with Oakland.

But it could be a decent landing pad for LoMo...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

ah crap. forgot completely about that trade to Seattle. ignore me.

Comment

ah crap. forgot completely about that trade to Seattle. ignore me.
                      We all make mistakes. But please quit making me agree with Hornsby.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        We all make mistakes. But please quit making me agree with Hornsby.
                        Sooner or later, you come to the dark side...walk with me Chance, we'll talk.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Now that I've taken him in RJEL - it's probably going to be Mike Ford in the short term. Rule 5 pick so they have an incentive to have him in the majors, hit .272/.410/.451 in AA last year (417 PA) and .266/.383/.543 in AAA (115 PA). He's a bit old, already 25. Writeup from Fangraphs:

Ford went undrafted out of Princeton despite being named both Ivy League Pitcher of the Year and Player of the Year as a junior, so the fact that he’s going to wear a major-league uniform at all is incredible. He is a long-time statistical performer with more career walks than strikeouts in five pro seasons. As a first-base-only prospect, Ford needs to hit a ton to stick in the big leagues. He has excellent ball/strike and breaking-ball recognition and tracks pitches well. He doesn’t have prototypical first-base raw power, but his swing does have some natural loft and he taps into most of what he’s got.

Scouts think he can be beaten with velocity up in the zone, but he’s an otherwise solid offensive player whose pure physical talent may just be short of viability at first base. Nevertheless, he has a chance to hit and reach base enough to stick around — and he’s a better defender than Vogelbach.

Comment

another one down...

Mariners first baseman Dan Vogelbach was hit by a pitch in the right foot on Friday and is now in a walking boot, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports. Vogelbach is currently awaiting results of an MRI he underwent Saturday. A serious injury to Vogelbach would be another notable preseason blow at first for the Mariners, whose starter, Ryon Healy, underwent hand surgery earlier this month. Consequently, Vogelbach and Rule 5 pick Mike Ford had been the only healthy first basemen on the Mariners’ 40-man roster. Healy, meanwhile, is close to having the stitches removed from his hand and could start defensive work within the next week or so, but it’s not known he’ll be able to begin swinging a bat, Johns writes.

Comment

Working...
                            X