Thoughts on Extensions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Extensions...

Gentlemen, I have a very nice problem on my AL only team, my keepers are pretty well settled (other than Britton, who'd contracted through this season...I may drop him and incur a 5 dollar penalty), but the question now is who do I extend, and how long? Here are the players I'm likely to keep, and their contracts. No need to extend means that the player is only in the 2nd year of his contract.

Keepers

Rougned Odor 15/2019 contract

Carlos Correa (5) /Need to extend

Yoan Moncada 2nd year/no need to extend

Andrew Benintendi 2nd year/no need to extend

Miguel Sano (5) /Need to extend

Carlos Carrasco/13 through this season

Michael Fulmer 5/No need to extend

Craig Kimbrel 24/No need to extend

Charlie Morton 8/No need to extend

Potential 10th keepers are Yonder Alonso (3), Logan Morrison (2) I could go nutty and keep Nelson Cruz (54) or Eduardo Nunez (32). I could keep Ervin Santana (13), or Mike Leake (6)...none of these player would need to be considered for an extension.

I won the league 2 seasons ago, and tied last year, lost on a tiebreaker...I'd kind of like to keep it going for a while.

I assume that you'd drop Britton at 12 bucks and incur the 6 dollar penalty? All opinions are welcome...thanks!

Reason for Edit: Add Salaries for extension candidates.
    Last edited by Hornsby; 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Gentlemen, I have a very nice problem on my AL only team, my keepers are pretty well settled (other than Britton, who'd contracted through this season...I may drop him and incur a 5 dollar penalty), but the question now is who do I extend, and how long? Here are the players I'm likely to keep, and their contracts. No need to extend means that the player is only in the 2nd year of his contract.

Keepers

Rougned Odor 15/2019 contract

Carlos Correa/Need to extend

Yoan Moncada 2nd year/no need to extend

Andrew Benintendi 2nd year/no need to extend

Miguel Sano/Need to extend

Carlos Carrasco/13 through this season

Michael Fulmer 5/No need to extend

Craig Kimbrel 25/No need to extend

Charlie Morton 8/No need to extend

Potential 10th keepers are Yonder Alonso (3), Logan Morrison (2) I could go nutty and keep Nelson Cruz (54) or Eduardo Nunez (32). I could keep Ervin Santana (13), or Mike Leake (6)...none of these player would need to be considered for an extension.

I won the league 2 seasons ago, and tied last year, lost on a tiebreaker...I'd kind of like to keep it going for a while.

I assume that you'd drop Britton at 12 bucks and incur the 6 dollar penalty? All opinions are welcome...thanks!
    The salaries seem to be missing on the players that need extensions.

Logan Morrison at 2 bucks seems like a no brainer if he signs in the AL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      The salaries seem to be missing on the players that need extensions.

Logan Morrison at 2 bucks seems like a no brainer if he signs in the AL.
      Salaries added...thanks for the catch.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Dropping a $12 Britton gives you a 1 year extension for both players and $2 bucks for Morrison. This keeps all of your keepers together.

Comment

Dropping a $12 Britton gives you a 1 year extension for both players and $2 bucks for Morrison. This keeps all of your keepers together.
            I do have to pay a fine for dropping Britton, who I extended 2 seasons ago through this year. So it's half his salary, or 6 bucks...not great, but I think I need to cut him and keep a different player.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I do have to pay a fine for dropping Britton, who I extended 2 seasons ago through this year. So it's half his salary, or 6 bucks...not great, but I think I need to cut him and keep a different player.
              Britton is a perfect example of why I do not extend pitchers more than a single year...and seldom extend period. Just prefer to use the surplus value to build a (hopefully) winning team.

Comment

I would still give Correa and Sano just one year each.

Comment

I would still give Correa and Sano just one year each.
                  RJers as a group are so conservative with extensions! Horns, I think you'd regret not extending Correa for at least two new years. I could see giving Sano just one, but with cheap keepers like you have, I suspect inflation is high enough to warrant extending Sano two years.
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-11-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Steve - go to $20 on Correa imo as so little risk and it secures a top AL SS for you for 4 years. He's a $40+ player in this league as inflation is on the rise.

I would probably go to $10 on Sano myself but wouldn't fault you to $15. Definitely cut bait with Britton as no need to waste a keeper spot in your position.

Comment

Thanks guys, as Rick knows, I'm not risk averse, so I'll probably take his advise and extend those guys out as he suggests. While a shot extension would certainly improve the profit of each player, I think that the value of owning them for multiple years eclipses the short term profit.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I certainly wouldn't blame you.

I was coming at it from building your Championship contending team for the next two years. You seem to do well with your money. What can you do with an extra $15 at auction (assumes Sano gets 2).

Also has Sano been cleared of his sexual assault charges yet? I am not sure that has anything to do with extending. It might be worth trading him if he is in line to lose significant time.

Comment

I certainly wouldn't blame you.

I was coming at it from building your Championship contending team for the next two years. You seem to do well with your money. What can you do with an extra $15 at auction (assumes Sano gets 2).

Also has Sano been cleared of his sexual assault charges yet? I am not sure that has anything to do with extending. It might be worth trading him if he is in line to lose significant time.
                          Nothing yet on the Sano investigation, MLB moves at their own pace since there was never any kind of a charge filed in the legal system. She said that it happened, he totally denied it, and I don't think that there were any witnesses to the alleged incident. I'll check out what he might bring, but it'll have to be a really good return for a guy I believe can hit 40+ homers without a lot of trouble. All he has to do is stay healthy...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Was out this weekend (Pogues would understand if he was still on the board). Agree about taking Correa up to $20. I'd only take Sano to $10. He may get off this year, as you've noted, there appears to not be a lot of supporting evidence. But it guarantees he'll be watched even closer by MLB.

I have Sano at $15 and out in my 10-team AL only and will probably keep him.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks guys, as Rick knows, I'm not risk averse, so I'll probably take his advise and extend those guys out as he suggests. While a shot extension would certainly improve the profit of each player, I think that the value of owning them for multiple years eclipses the short term profit.
                              I used to stop at 2-year extensions but the length of extension should coincide mostly with your window of opportunity. I generally like to build rosters that can compete over a series of years so I like longer extensions on my expected top players in that case to create some stability and players to build around. That said, in our NL I have Arenado & Hamilton expiring in 2019 so as I consider my extensions in that league I am likely going to line up those players to expire in 2019 as well to maximize the window I have left.

Correa is a cornerstone player in an AL so this gives you a 4-year period to focus on after you got robbed LY.

Comment

Working...
                              X