Dumping a category?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumping a category?

Have any of you had success in winning a league while dumping a category?

What does dumping a category really mean? Does it mean no points for the year? Or bottom 3rd?

Does it mean dumping at auction or draft but with a plan to get said category via the trade later in the year?

Rather than a pure dump of a category, what I've seen that was successful is an in-season "reallocation of resources" that worked far better. Let's say you load up on SPs and dump saves, once you have a big lead in Wins and Ks where you feel comfortable enough that you can be top 3-5 in those categories, go after saves from teams that decide they can't compete there. Closers get much cheaper mid-season, and you can deal off those starting pitchers you no longer need.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Have any of you had success in winning a league while dumping a category?

What does dumping a category really mean? Does it mean no points for the year? Or bottom 3rd?

Does it mean dumping at auction or draft but with a plan to get said category via the trade later in the year?
      Never in a true dump, like not getting any closers or intentionally passing on SBs.

I did win a pair of 12-team mixed leagues in a year where I went with low-end power and maxed out on R/BA/SB and hard after pitching. I lucked into two major career years, most notably Darin Erstad's one monster year; I flipped him late in the first half for a king's ransom of players. I'd not recommend that technique.

I think you can dump in auction keeper leagues and win. Clearly, if your strategy is successful, you'll be at or near the top and can deal for saves or SBs or another category that was dumped. In my AL-only league, dumping saves is probably a feasible strategy.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

In the earliest days of Rotisserie, the actual meaning of dumping a category meant going into the auction with a plan not to acquire players who helped you in a certain category. Playing 4x4, which most did at the time, this meant either saves or stolen bases. (Back then there guys who actually steal 60-80 bases or more , and closers were especially pricy before Ks were a category.) The thinking was you could avoid these expensive players, finish high in the other seven categories, and either win or finish in the money.

Keep in mind that early Roto leagues were "only" with very short rosters and limited player substitution.

Changing dynamics, league rules, and scoring categories have altered the concept of dumping a category. Nowadays there seem to be many more variations to dumping a category on auction day and then trading into it during the year. Plus, with 5x5, I've seen people try to dump two categories.

My favorite personal story involved such a "in-season dump". I was back in the pack approaching the trade deadline with a lousy pitching staff but a decent offense. I decided to dump Wins and Strikeouts and made several simultaneous trades, offering all of my starting pitchers and top minor leaguers for a couple of stud hitters, closers and some great middle relievers. I just made the minimum innings pitched requirement, but had great saves, ERA and whip, while my offense finished near the top. Despite sucking in wins and strikeouts, I slipped into first place the final week and won by a slim margin.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

many years ago I ended up 2nd in my al only league dumping saves; never won tho trying that.

I'd say that dumping means no plans to get any players to contribute to a given category (e.g. I could get Andrew Miller for the Ks & great peripherals, and he might pick up a few saves but those are incidental). As soon as you start choosing players to build up stats in that category you're no longer dumping it.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Ive had some success "not emphasizing" SB when drafting...not a true dump, but more like aiming for third to last in the category.

Comment

I dumped Ws in 2002 in our 12-team NL-only 4x4

had 5 closers to start the season, racked up 75 SV by the All-Star break, then traded all 5 to strategic partners for more offense in each case

I played the second half with Brad Penny and 8 safe setup men like Shuey and Plesac. I had already clinched SV, ERA, and Ratio, and the trades made my offense dominant as well

I won going away in spite of finishing last with 48 W (granted, this was about my 5th try with this strategy and first win) - and we switched to 5x5 in 2003

I decided not to spend on SV last year, as I have mentioned - left the auction with only 8 units spent on my 'pen
              a league record 99 SV later, I had another pennant (see "Anatomy" thread)

point being, not spending on a category doesn't guarantee last in that category
              in some cases, you can make an easy deal to add 3-4 pts in your weak spot
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I haven't done it, but my league has had winners and second place finishers dump saves. With K's, sometimes the best set up guys are far cheaper than closers and better in everything but saves (think Miller versus Allen, except when dumping saves never pay that much for Miller, other good set up guys are far cheaper). Tougher with other categories. SB's is the only possible one, but that tends to hurt runs unless you are very careful. We did once have a guy with a bad keeper list finish in the money once with a team of pitchers and pinch-runners more or less, basically punting HR and RBI.

Comment

Working...
                X