Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting your Sleepers

Hi everyone,

I would like to get your opinion on when do you think is the right time to grab your so called “sleepers” (In snake drafts, not auction leagues).

Mi thinking is, one round before where he sits on average ADP rankings, or the rankings of the site you’re playing in, whichever ranks him higher.

Does that make sense, or is that too late for comfort?

I know it’s almost impossible to make sure your sleeper will be there for you at any point, (such player may be someone else’s sleeper too), but in a general sense, when is it about the right time in your opinion? What goes into play when you’re deciding when to pull the trigger?

Around here, there are really no sleepers, the undervalued guys get hyped and in most leagues they go for more than they should (or earlier in a snake draft). If you think you have a sleeper, definitely go a round or two before projected; if they are projected that high, going for them around the ADP will mean you don't get them or your league is not good, in which case you should win anyway. Any examples? That could help us understand more.

Comment

Cavebird touches on a very important point - if you have a good idea how much sleepers are being hyped by magazines, it'll give you a better reference how much you need to reach for them. If you have a sleeper that's not being mentioned much or at all, you can probably get away with only pushing up a round. If it's someone getting a fair amount of sleeper hype, that'll mean at least a two-round push up to get them.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If you look at ADP and combine it with the industry drafts (Tout/LABR), you should get a good idea of the baseline.

When you find yourself missing out on all your sleeper picks that should mean that some of the more established, "boring" players are dropping further than they should, and you can grab a more reliable option.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Around here, there are really no sleepers, the undervalued guys get hyped and in most leagues they go for more than they should (or earlier in a snake draft). If you think you have a sleeper, definitely go a round or two before projected; if they are projected that high, going for them around the ADP will mean you don't get them or your league is not good, in which case you should win anyway. Any examples? That could help us understand more.
          Yeah, the hyped "sleepers" of the main fantasy sites I don't count on, for obvious reasons. I'm talking more the personal favorites type. 1 or 2 rounds before is in line with what I had in mind, thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            If you have a sleeper that's not being mentioned much or at all, you can probably get away with only pushing up a round
            That's the type I'm talking about. Trying to find that sweet spot in between overreaching and too late. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              When you find yourself missing out on all your sleeper picks that should mean that some of the more established, "boring" players are dropping further than they should, and you can grab a more reliable option.
              Good point, but it's just more fun and satisfying when you can build a team (and do well) with some of those personal sleepers. At least it feels like that to me. Thanks four your response and tip on combining ADP with industry drafts.

Comment

It is more fun that way. And with the players you like and root for. It usually leads to finishing 8th. Trust me.

But don't worry, I still do it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  It is more fun that way. And with the players you like and root for. It usually leads to finishing 8th. Trust me.

But don't worry, I still do it anyway.
                  LOL, I actually can’t think of a player I root for that could be considered a sleeper. Maybe a couple of Dominican players (I’m Dominican), but wouldn’t go for them at drafts based on that alone.

I just love the educated guess game and risk/reward factor of the so called sleepers.

I can’t imagine building a team and playing the game going strictly on consensus value picks. Maybe if I played for money I'd do that.

Comment

Working...
                  X