Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who keeps Closers that cost more than...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who keeps Closers that cost more than...

Who keeps closers that cost more than $20 going into the auction?

In my NL only 5x5 I have a $25A Wade Davis. I have no other closers or potential closers (next up) on my roster. I have never punted saves as I believe it is a pretty easy way to get points.

I typically like to have a cheap crappy closer (high era and whip but 20 plus saves) and a good closer going into the auction. As a re-builder I am considering trading Davis and possibly punting saves (plus having a few more dollars at the auction).

I was curious how many of you actually keep good closers that are over $20 bucks?

I'd keep Janson for $20 in an NL only. Otherwise no.

I think we all get too caught up in trying to get each category covered pre-auction. That's what the auction and later FAAB is for. Right now our best strategy is to accumulate value, wherever it is.

Comment

I would trade a $25 Davis

but the problem tends to be, once you offer him up, other owners become wary. is he hurt? is that price too high? etc

I like to be the "trap door spider" on guys like this. engage a rival with an "I have no untouchables" angle and see if he (or she, lol) puts Davis on the table
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

In my 10 team AL only 4x4 $260, closers are like gold. Kimbrel/Chapman types regularly go between $30-40. An established guy, say a Glenn Perkins type of years past, will ALWAYS go for high 20s. I do everything that I can to lock up a couple of cheap ones pre-draft. I did draft Kimbrel/Chapman 2 years ago for ~$60, and finished second. I then flipped Kimbrel for a $17 Tanaka last year, that blew up in my face, but I won the league anyway.
        One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          I like to be the "trap door spider" on guys like this. engage a rival with an "I have no untouchables" angle and see if he (or she, lol) puts Davis on the table
          Another strategy I've used is asking the other owner casually something along the lines of "I am having trouble figuring out who to keep, how would you rank the top few players on my team if you were me". Then, if they rank one of your guys higher than you would, you have an opportunity.

I have a trade opportunity I'm looking at due to specifically this plan right now. Another owner ranked a guy who I'm not likely keeping pretty high, so I turned around and asked about a trade involving that player. And if they try to downplay him, you already have in your back pocket - "but you just ranked him high?"

Comment

I have a $29 Davis in my home league and I'll keep him if nothing materializes, but would also sell him at a discount too

Comment

To me it depends on (a) how deep the league is and (b) how many closers are likely to be protected. I hate paying the going rate in trades for Closers which is more of a personal obstacle than anything. As such, I generally try to buy or keep my saves (and speculate in season) and have no issue keeping a ~$20-25 Kimbrel (or someone in the same tier) in a deep mixed or AL especially if I feel most of the closers will be protected and a bidding war can ensue. In keeper leagues with high inflation, I have seen top closers cross the $30 point at auction which is nutso but it only takes 2 owners to drive a price up and a lack of better alternatives to keep them bidding.

Comment

The closers available at auction currently will be:

Jansen
                Morrow
                Iglesias
                Gregerson
                Nerris

It is why I am hesitant to give up Davis at $25 and why I decided to ask the Pen on what they do.

Comment

If Iglesias and Jansen will be available then I think those 2 and Davis would all be fine. Thus comes down to what you think 1 of those will go for and what you would keep in Davis’s place. That said, reading your post you say you are rebuilding in which case I would not keep nor buy a closer. When I rebuild I try and buy premium bats and bats alone at auction. You want to buy assets you can flip and pitchers can become worthless in a hurry let alone with role change at closer position.

Comment

Phew...I don't normally, but in your case, may make an exception. With that available closer list, I suspect you'll have teams shopping for saves up to your trade deadline and Davis could net you a very nice return.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Phew...I don't normally, but in your case, may make an exception. With that available closer list, I suspect you'll have teams shopping for saves up to your trade deadline and Davis could net you a very nice return.
                      I agree with this also. An upper tier closer can have a greater direct impact on standings in August than just about any player that might be available. This becomes a very easy "sell" to teams clustered in the standings. Closers in an "only" make great bargaining chips.
                      One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Working...
                      X