Crappy Keeper List...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy Keeper List...

18 team mixer 5x5 OPB league. As the thread title indicates, not a great keeper list. Can keep 10, don't need to.

The Good...

Trea Turner 6 bucks
    Wilson Ramos 3 bucks
    Matt Olson 3 bucks
    Edwin Diaz 2 bucks

The Middling...

Stephen Strasburg 34 bucks
    Drew Steckenrider 1 buck
    Jose Pirela 8 bucks

The Questions...

Carlos Santana 35 bucks
    Marcus Semien 17 bucks
    Brandon McCarthy 2 bucks
    CC Sabathia 5 bucks
    Matt Shoemaker 3 bucks
    Jharel Cotton 4 bucks
    Homer Bailey 1 buck
    Aledmys Diaz 3 bucks

Only Aledmys, Cotton, and Shoemaker would be in line for any extensions, all others are going into their 2nd year. All opinions are appreciated, thanks in advance.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    18 team mixer 5x5 OPB league. As the thread title indicates, not a great keeper list. Can keep 10, don't need to.

The Good...

Trea Turner 6 bucks
    Wilson Ramos 3 bucks
    Matt Olson 3 bucks
    Edwin Diaz 2 bucks

The Middling...

Drew Steckenrider 1 buck
    Jose Pirela 8 bucks

The Questions...

Carlos Santana 35 bucks
    Marcus Semien 17 bucks
    Brandon McCarthy 2 bucks
    CC Sabathia 5 bucks
    Matt Shoemaker 3 bucks
    Jharel Cotton 4 bucks
    Homer Bailey 1 buck
    Aledmys Diaz 3 bucks
    Note that it's a 1-catcher league. Ramos is fine, but he's going to hurt your OBP and he's not that great a power hitter. Pirela doesn't have a lock on a starting role.

I think a bunch of the other guys are fine, I guess if you're not going to have ten keepers I'd keep some of the cheaper guys on the basis that you're going to have a bunch of $1 reserves and they might as well be guys you like, but you don't have a realistic route to ten guys here.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Turner, Olson, Diaz, and Strasburg are the only keepers IMO.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I don't play mixed, so grain of salt here, but it seems like you need some unicorns - and Pirela and Steckenrider COULD be a couple
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          I agree. Geesh, Horns, you must have gone all in for a win last year?

I also agree with JJ that you have the room and have the need to gamble on some cheap upside players. I too like Stechenrider for a buck, and I can't seem to quit Shoemaker. Depending on how he looks this spring, I might keep him too.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            Note that it's a 1-catcher league. Ramos is fine, but he's going to hurt your OBP and he's not that great a power hitter. Pirela doesn't have a lock on a starting role.

I think a bunch of the other guys are fine, I guess if you're not going to have ten keepers I'd keep some of the cheaper guys on the basis that you're going to have a bunch of $1 reserves and they might as well be guys you like, but you don't have a realistic route to ten guys here.
            Surprised you chose Semien at 17 bucks. I like him, but 17 seems a factor too high

Comment

Steck at a buck looks good.

Comment

18 team... doesn’t Shoemaker have some value? I assume you have some IP minimum.

Comment

18 team mixed, there should be no problem getting the IP minimum. And wow, yeah, that's ugly. Except for Turner, that's great. I think DMT is right. That's about it. Maybe Steck, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Surprised you chose Semien at 17 bucks. I like him, but 17 seems a factor too high
                    I'm probably biased because I had him last year and he had a really good half season. For what it's worth, FG thinks he's worth about that, though my other projection set doesn't think he's anywhere close. Also this league has pretty crazy inflation because almost all young players are on super-cheap minor league contracts.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I agree. Geesh, Horns, you must have gone all in for a win last year?

I also agree with JJ that you have the room and have the need to gamble on some cheap upside players. I too like Stechenrider for a buck, and I can't seem to quit Shoemaker. Depending on how he looks this spring, I might keep him too.
                        Yeah, it's ugly...I actually sold off in Mid-season last year. Traded Stanton and Pollock for Turner, traded Myers and others for Alex Reyes and Olson. Traded Kluber and ended up with the 1st pick in the draft this year, so it was a tear down last year. All the players I dealt off were at value, so no bargains to keep.

I will keep Steck and Semien, I think that both have a substantial ceiling...the rest, who knows? I do appreciate the feedback though.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I keep your four good and Semien. And depending on inflation, I might keep Stras. And I'd not argue with keeping Steck.

I disagree with the others on Ramos. Yeah, his OBP isn't good. But even in a 1-catcher 18-team league, I don't see how you find a catcher for $3 who could well give you 60-20-70. It's pretty close to saying you'd throw in a $3 Sal Perez.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The Good...

Trea Turner 6 bucks
                            Wilson Ramos 3 bucks
                            Matt Olson 3 bucks
                            Edwin Diaz 2 bucks

The Middling...

Drew Steckenrider 1 buck
                            Jose Pirela 8 bucks

The Questions...

CC Sabathia 5 bucks
                            Jharel Cotton 4 bucks
                            Homer Bailey 1 buck

Comment

Turner
                              Olson
                              Diaz
                              Strasburg

No way would I keep Semien at 17. Not only is that not worth it in a vacuum, but he also has a top prospect breathing down his neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X