2K18: Tommy Pham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K18: Tommy Pham

A career minor-leaguer made good last year at the age of 29 in his first extended chance in the majors. .306/.411/.520, 23 HR, 73 RBI, 95 R, 25 SB. Advance metrics like the underlying ability, but obviously some of it was luck. Given that he will be 30, we can expect regression, except maybe in the counting stats since he only played 128 games last year and should be a full time starter this year. Don't know what to think of him---projections seem to be all over the place. Whay sayeth the pen?

I'm a believer, I drafted Pham in the current Mock draft in the 3rd round. The skills have always been there, but apparently he had a degenerative eye condition, Keratoconus, and now keeps a vigilant watch on his vision, sometimes changing contacts between innings.

I think that he's one of the few guys who can actually achieve 30/30, and have a great OPB as well. He's got the skills, he just needs the health.

Really good article here on what Pham has to do.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Wow, fascinating story, but also scary for the future.

Comment

for what little it's worth, I also have keratoconus (bad side effect from lasik), and when my contacts are working properly I have 20-15 vision... but sometimes my vision is just incurably blurry for a little while and there isn't a lot I can do about it.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I picked him up cheap last year (thanks, Pham!), so a no-brainer for me

that said, I'd be confident to buy in a redraft league but not lose my head in a dynasty league, for the reasons cited

he has always been confident and seems to be well-liked in the clubhouse and says he wants it and he wants it bad

of course, ANY vision issues in spring training would be a red flag. monitor
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            for what little it's worth, I also have keratoconus (bad side effect from lasik), and when my contacts are working properly I have 20-15 vision... but sometimes my vision is just incurably blurry for a little while and there isn't a lot I can do about it.
            Interesting insight, and words of warning. I have a mild prescription but there is a nonzero risk of laser surgery being 100% successful with no side effects.

I wish you the best of health going forward.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I've got to say, Tommy Pham is now my favorite player...a total red-ass, to use the old vernacular. Heres a bit about his last couple of seasons from SI, via deadspin...

Still, Pham hadn’t thought to quit. Then the season started. “We’re two weeks in, and I’m raking,” he says. “I’m hitting like .400. The big league team was 3–9, and all three outfielders were hitting .200. They tried [Matt] Adams out there, and he’s a great hitter, but he just couldn’t play the outfield. So I’m like, They’re getting the reports every day, they know I’m raking. What the f—-? When are they gonna call me up? And then we’re three weeks in. The guys are still struggling, Grichuk, Dex [Dexter Fowler], Piscotty. And I’m still balling! So finally I said, They’re not gonna f——-’ call me up, f—- it, and I zoned out in Triple A. Every day I was just like, F—- this. I’ve made it to the big leagues, f—- it.”

He stopped showing up for early work, daring his manager to bench him, daring St. Louis to cut him loose. Pham’s agents had learned that other MLB teams as well as Japanese clubs were interested. “I’m thinking, [the Cardinals] are not gonna trade me,” Pham says. “They won’t sell me to Japan. What the f—-? They clearly don’t believe in me. Let a mother——— leave! And they wouldn’t even do that.”

Pham was also pissed about his playing time in 2015, when he was once again in line behind Randal Grichuk and others:

When leftfielder Matt Holliday got hurt in 2015, Grichuk got that job, and when Peter Bourjos was benched, sliding Grichuk to center, Piscotty took over in left. Pham had to settle for 35 cobbled-together starts. “You can’t bitch about it, because if you bitch about it, you f—- up the team,” Pham says. “But I put up an .824 OPS and a 1.4 WAR in 150 at bats. Times that by four—if anybody did that their rookie year, baseball goes crazy over them. But when I did it, they say, Oh, he’s just the backup. In 2016, I had an .870 OPS before I stopped playing every day. An .870 OPS in the big leagues? That plays. But I never got the recognition. I put up better numbers than these other guys in the minor leagues and the major leagues. And I was a better athlete than these mother———-. I run faster than ’em, I’m stronger than ’em. But when a team puts some money in a player, they’re gonna talk ’em up.”

For some extra entertainment, click on the recommended link titled: Tommy Pham has no patience for mouthy ballhawks.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I've got to say, Tommy Pham is now my favorite player...a total red-ass, to use the old vernacular. Heres a bit about his last couple of seasons from SI, via deadspin...

For some extra entertainment, click on the recommended link titled: Tommy Pham has no patience for mouthy ballhawks.
                Players with a chip on their shoulder can often work/train/play harder, but to a point. It can also cut the other way -- appreciate his honesty but there are red flags here.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  Players with a chip on their shoulder can often work/train/play harder, but to a point. It can also cut the other way -- appreciate his honesty but there are red flags here.
                  Big red flag — if things don’t go his way, he goes into Operation: Shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I wonder how Derek Bell is doing these days....

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Yeah, that is the only real concern I have from that speech. The rest of it was a wonderfully refreshing contrast to the banal nothing speech from careful endorsement conscience athletes like Tm Brady.

Comment

Funniest injury that I've heard of in a long time...as long as it didn't happen to you!

According to the StL Dispatch, "Tommy Pham injured his head when he was in the batting cage getting ready for his third-inning at-bat on Wednesday. Using a "contraption" of his own design, Pham had one of the resistance bands he uses snap back on him and send the barrel of his bat into his forehead. "Blood started gushing down," Pham said. "I had to get that fixed." He went through the concussion protocol at the ballpark, and he will have to be re-evaluated Thursday morning before the series finale." - newsreporter3

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I have both Pham and Mac Williamson, who did a face plant the other day by tripping on the warmup mound in SF while chasing a foul ball. and my Eaton, Pence, and CarGo on the DL. my other OFs are getting nervous!
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

There WILL be a movie about Tommy Pham someday...the latest.

During Pham’s dissertation Wednesday on how he hurt himself, he matter-of-factly said he had been stabbed at one point in his life. Pham, explaining to the Post-Dispatch on Thursday, said it had happened at his mother’s house when he was growing up and that his stepfather had come at him with a knife in his hand. “I think we were fighting over my mom,” said Pham. Pointing to his chest, Pham said the knife “grazed me. It cut me. So ... that’s what happened.”

-Warren Ellis

Comment

While Tommy has only been slightly disappointing, its beginning to look like he and Fowler and Ozuna are going to lose PT. Bader is playing his way into a rotation and O'Neill is looming.

Nice problem to have for the Cards but another seemingly overcrowded situation for fantasy purposes.
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                              X