2K18: Jonathan Villar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K18: Jonathan Villar

Villar went from being 2016's most epic breakout to 2017's most epic bust. And in both instances, no one saw it coming.

His 2017 line was decimated across the board, dropping precipitously in some cases. His OPS+ plunged from 117 to 72, his SBs cratered from 62 to just 23, his BA dropped by 45 points, my god, the devastation was endless. By late-July, he was out of a job -- and those who expended a high pick on him were likely out of the running.

So what to make of Villar in 2018? Can he regain the 2B job? With Milwaukee's new-fangled lineup, he could be a huge underlay at his current ADP of 210 by a moatload.

What say you?

I'd pay for 20 steals in NL - Only and hope he doesn't get enough at-bats to hurt me with his batting average.

Comment

I traded Villar and Allen for Arenado in June. I still feel guilty.

Villar was eventually dropped and I picked him back up briefly in Aug.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

He helped me win a title in 2016 and finish 11th last year. I still have him at 5 and didn't even list him in my potential keepers, but his ADP is higher than all the other players on the margin I'm considering so I'm totally baffled.

However, I read an article (on FG IIRC) that quoted Counsell saying they're going to give him another chance as the starter. Also he'll likely be hitting 8th so I'd imagine he'll get SBOs.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I like him at that ADP.

Who's his competition, Sogard, can Perez play 2b?
          Sogard is a utility player at best, Perez is a lesser Villar without the upside.

Comment

Originally posted by the heat View Post
            I like him at that ADP.

Who's his competition, Sogard, can Perez play 2b?
            Sogard is a utility player at best, Perez is a lesser Villar without the upside.
            Yeah, I think his competition are those two along with another player not on the team (maybe Neil Walker?) In today's news, Ryan Braun also said he'd move to 2B if they wanted him to.

Comment

While I appreciate Braun's enthusiasm, for those of us who saw Ryan play 3B, the fans and management better hope Counsell doesn't take him up on the offer to play 2B. Any living thing behind first base would be in danger of being injured or killed.

Hernan Perez is a solid 2B with limited upside. That said, he also plays with a brain that actually has firing neurons. Villar is an erratic 2B with vast upside, but has an attention span that's less than an ADHD kid playing right field in Little League. He routinely makes baserunning blunders that, in all Brewer history, have only been approximated by Dante Bichette. Before the Cain and Yelich moves, I'd have bet on them giving Villar another solid chance. But since it's apparent they're going for it, I think they'll take the safe choice in Hernan Perez, sign a FA or deal for a 2B.
              Last edited by chancellor; 01-29-2018, 10:07 PM.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Hernan Perez does seem to be underrated by the Brewers. He could be a solid infielder with a decent bat.

Comment

I like H. Perez for his mix of SB/HR, as well as his 2B/3B/OF eligibility (as opposed to Villar now 2B only), giving him both MI and CI as well. Good utility option, but like Villar, either could end up with less than 400 AB given the Brewers contention plans. If you can get them cheap enough, I guess either Villar or Perez could fall into a 10 HR/25 SB season, even if they're limited to 400ish AB. Seems like a classic case of 2 players much better in fantasy than real life, with the question being how long it takes for them to stop getting real life playing time, which will ultimately decide their value.

Perez has the edge in positional versatility, Villar has the edge in SB.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                  X