Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taillon: .160 BABIP, 96% strand, 8% swstr, 53% F-Strike
    Castillo: .281 BABIP, 51% strand, 15% swstr, 62% F-Strike

Not only do I take Castillo, but I might try selling Taillon. I don't see anything in Taillon's velocity, movement, or pitch selection that tells me he's any different from prior years -- which is still a decent pitcher. I just don't see that he's taken the next step.

Comment

Dane,

Apologies for the accidental delete. I meant to reply with quote.

Mods please take my edit functionality away.
      Last edited by Hammer; 04-19-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanK View Post
        Taillon: .160 BABIP, 96% strand, 8% swstr, 53% F-Strike
        Castillo: .281 BABIP, 51% strand, 15% swstr, 62% F-Strike

Not only do I take Castillo, but I might try selling Taillon. I don't see anything in Taillon's velocity, movement, or pitch selection that tells me he's any different from prior years -- which is still a decent pitcher. I just don't see that he's taken the next step.
        Taillon's GB% is way up (to 58%), and his hard contact rate is very low (19.6%). Both are improvements from prior years and both are way better than Castillo. Also, unlike Castillo, Taillon's velocity isn't down 2 mph from last year.

Comment

And don't get me wrong---Taillon was never an ERA under 1 guy. His numbers normalized tonight; a HR to normalize the HR/FB rate, and then loading the bases without any hard contact, and then three runs scoring on a single. Once Castillo's numbers normalize, they'll both be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            And don't get me wrong---Taillon was never an ERA under 1 guy. His numbers normalized tonight; a HR to normalize the HR/FB rate, and then loading the bases without any hard contact, and then three runs scoring on a single. Once Castillo's numbers normalize, they'll both be similar.
            And if so, that makes Castillo a good buy low guy in theory. Maybe not sell high on Taillon, but hold.

Comment

Sounds right. FWIW, one stat that is deceptive is that Taillon even previously is among the league leaders in called strikes/strikeouts, so he, if this is a skill (and it likely is due to the fact it is all from one pitch, the curve) then he will naturally have a higher K rate with a lower swinging strike rate.

Comment

Well, I was clearly wrong to buy in on Taillon's hot start!!

Comment

Working...
                X