2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    Wondering about that (TB situation). Pagan is available in our league. I also bid big on Swarzak and that hasn’t been great. But a few saves is really all I need. Is Pagan the guy? Does anyone really know?
    Castillo with the save today. So, no.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Pagan and Robles were available today in my 15 team mixed keeper. I paid $5 for Robles, competition paid $22 for Pagan (bid $56! Vickrey saved him)

I feel like I got the better potential closer for 1/4 the price.

Comment

• SPEC GUYS UPDATE:

ABOVE ALL...Shawn Kelley TEX. Martin technically next in line, but regardless...LeClerc on his last legs, Kelley has been lights out and has the proverbial experience. Could see him taking/running with the job.

Buttrey/Robles LAA if not already taken.

Moronta in SF if Smith stumbles. Already good holds guy.

Luke Jackson in ATL. Minter not ordained yet.

Anyone else?
        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
        UTIL- Benintendi
        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
        IL: Buxton

Comment

• Webb in ATL over Jackson
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Webb in ATL over Jackson
            Fangraphs has Jackson then Webb after Minter...Closer Monkey has Jackson and Winkler...I do like Webb in his short stint, though. Scoreless. Granted, only 3.2 IP but still..5K...some promise here in a bullpen that's clearly up for grabs..

C- J.McCann
            1B-Cron
            2B- Villar
            SS- Andrus
            3B-Baez
            MI-L. Gurriel
            CI- Y.Gurriel
            UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

• Just when you think Neris might be the closer Kapler brings him in the 6th to relieve Nola. This will drive Closer Monkey crazy.

Comment

• was surprised after that, Neshek pitched the 8th at 5-2 - and allowed a run. but PHI got 2 more, and ERamos got the 9th but no SV opp.

I have had multiple RP on PHI with no bench for Kapler's entire tenure, but even for him this was really weird.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Diego Castillo with the save today. The TB pen is maddening.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Diego Castillo with the save today. The TB pen is maddening.
                    Particularly maddening in that it seems to be everyone EXCEPT Alvarado, whom I traded for, getting saves. Really thinking my league will need to switch to Holds+Saves next year... this category is getting preposterous.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                      Particularly maddening in that it seems to be everyone EXCEPT Alvarado, whom I traded for, getting saves. Really thinking my league will need to switch to Holds+Saves next year... this category is getting preposterous.
                      I'm just the opposite. Saves are getting more challenging. I like challenges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I'm just the opposite. Saves are getting more challenging. I like challenges.
                        I mean, I can see where you're coming from there, but I don't like that increasingly saves is becoming a less important actual baseball stat, to the point that (on some teams) they have little to no correlation to the quality of the player's performance, and are substantially more difficult to predict than other traditional categories. Yes sure Wins, RBIs, AVG are all old-fashioned and not perfect reflectors of player performance, but they maintain a decently strong correlation to it I think. To me, it's frustrating having to pick "bad" pitchers based on an increasingly unpredictable idea that they might get put in for the 9th inning of a close game.

But challenging it is, in the sense that trying to roll snake eyes is kind of challenging, I guess. Maybe I'm just grumpy about Alvarado. Oh, did I mention I also have Wily Peralta?

Comment

I mean, I can see where you're coming from there, but I don't like that increasingly saves is becoming a less important actual baseball stat, to the point that (on some teams) they have little to no correlation to the quality of the player's performance, and are substantially more difficult to predict than other traditional categories. Yes sure Wins, RBIs, AVG are all old-fashioned and not perfect reflectors of player performance, but they maintain a decently strong correlation to it I think. To me, it's frustrating having to pick "bad" pitchers based on an increasingly unpredictable idea that they might get put in for the 9th inning of a close game.

But challenging it is, in the sense that trying to roll snake eyes is kind of challenging, I guess. Maybe I'm just grumpy about Alvarado. Oh, did I mention I also have Wily Peralta?
                          I'm in a pts league, so we get around this by weighing things like Ks, H+B allowed, ER, IP more heavily than Saves, and also awarding half the pts of a save for holds. In a roto league, I like the set up where it is Saves x 2 2+Holds. It still preferences saves and incentives that chasing them aspect of the game, which can be fun, but it also makes elite set up men more valuable by crediting them with holds.

Comment

I remember ~20 years ago someone in my league paid $42 for Mariano Rivera. We talked after - it wasn't that he was expecting dramatically better stats than the second best closer - he was paying for certainty. It seems that we're in similar times ... we want to pay strictly for stats, but if you want certainty the premium to be paid is substantial.

full disclosure - my two closers coming into this year: Alvarado and Leclerc.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• For a pitcher that was suppose to be washed up now has 8 saves - Holland. He was lucky last night. Bases loaded no outs and was able to escape by striking out Desmond and Iannetta on pitches 87 mph. In 12 IP he has 7 BB and 17. 3 Hits and no HR also resulting in an ERA 0.75 and WHIP 0.83. No doubt he won't keep this up but nice returns for those owners who likely got him for cheap.

Comment

• Couple little stumbles for Yates. Nothing to see here, I don't think....

C- J.McCann
                                1B-Cron
                                2B- Villar
                                SS- Andrus
                                3B-Baez
                                MI-L. Gurriel
                                CI- Y.Gurriel
                                UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Working...
                                X