2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    According to Closermonkey, these are the 2nd in line. In at least two cases the former 2nd in line is no longer with the team.

Which of them are worth a closer look?

ATL Ramirez
    MIA Steckenrider
    NYM Swarzak
    PHI Morgan
    WAS Kintzler

CHC Edwards
    CIN Hernandez
    MIL Hader
    PIT Feliz
    STL Tuivailala

ARI Hirano
    COL McGee
    LAD Alexander
    SD Stammen
    SF Dyson

BAL Givens
    BOS Smith
    NYY Robertson
    TB Alvarado
    TOR Loup

CHW Minaya
    CLE Otero
    DET Stumpf
    KC Keller
    MIN Hildenberger

HOU Harris
    LAA Middleton
    OAK Petit
    SEA Vincent
    TEX Claudio

Related question, where does Amir Garrett fit in the Cincinnati bullpen? Is he just waiting for a SP injury?

J
    Givens is part of the committee, and is good, so definitely worth a look; as is O'Day, the other member of the committee in Baltimore (which is all short term until Britton returns). I have no idea why Ramirez is listed for the Braves. I guess technically, he might get first crack if Vizcaino got hurt today, but it will likely be Minter if Vizcaino falters, and he's definitely worth a look so long as the arm remains attached to the body. As for Garrett, I am sure he is just filling a long reliever/swingman role until he gets a rotation spot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      At least the Cardinals' options are fine pitchers. If you grab Lyons and he doesn't get a save opp, at least you got a good MR on a good team. The Giants offer no such salve. Pretty much anyone you take a chance on, could kill you if they don't get the 9th. In my 12-team NL-only, I had Dyson for $1 and didn't have him on my keeper list. About 90 minutes before the list was due, the Melancon news came in and I begrudgingly added him. Unless, he gets the 9th, he may be an albatross. Maybe the only good play in SF is Beede, but then their rotation is so banged up, they can't spare him there.
      I'm taking Watson for the Giants, because I do agree that his save chances aren't that great but he's a good enough pitcher to keep in your lineup anyway.

Comment

You can look at these pitchers and gauge the quality and flavor of the whole pen almost without err. Except Texas and Baltimore, maybe Min. It's not surprising the NL pens have deeper quality.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I think the Closermonkey list is definitely wrong on several of these.

I would be shocked to see Washington turn to Kintzler before Madson, or Miami turn to Steckenrider before giving Barraclough a shot first. PHI would likely look at Hunter or Neshek before Morgan. And Tuivalala in STL - is that assuming Leone is already the closer and Gregerson stays hurt? Even then I think Lyons and Cecil would get opportunities before Tuivalala.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

I would be shocked to see Washington turn to Kintzler before Madson, or Miami turn to Steckenrider before giving Barraclough a shot first. PHI would likely look at Hunter or Neshek before Morgan. And Tuivalala in STL - is that assuming Leone is already the closer and Gregerson stays hurt? Even then I think Lyons and Cecil would get opportunities before Tuivalala.
            I agree with a lot of this, but 1Jay's list was "second in line" not 1st in line.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

Yeah, these are the 2nd in line AFTER the closer. So Doolittle/Madson/Kintzler.

I think David Robertson stands out like a sore thumb here. Would not be shocked at all to see him get the job if Chapman had any issues. Don't really know what makes closermonkey think he's not the primary backup.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

I think David Robertson stands out like a sore thumb here. Would not be shocked at all to see him get the job if Chapman had any issues. Don't really know what makes closermonkey think he's not the primary backup.
                Ah, got it. Yeah, I think Betances is better in the 8th inning and that Robertson has a better track record as a closer, and therefore should get the nod before Betances if Chapman goes down or flames out.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

Unless it's a committee, like the White Sox.

Robertson mostly illustrates why the Yankee bullpen is the best in baseball.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

MIA Steckenrider - could be closing by July
                    WAS Kintzler - could close with Madson setting up if Doolittle goes down
                    CHC Edwards - anything is possible in that pen
                    MIL Hader - see above
                    STL Tuivailala - see above

NYY Robertson - will prob get the odd save chance to keep him happy
                    MIN Hildenberger - could close with Adams setting up if (when?) Rodney is ineffective

LAA Middleton - good chance to be closing by July

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Reed in Minnesota..possibly closing sooner rather than later?

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        This seems like a no-brainer but Rodney is a closer-zombie...clozombie?
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          This seems like a no-brainer but Rodney is a closer-zombie...clozombie?
                          Zoser?

Comment

I don't think Edwards Jr. gets a sniff at the closer role no matter what.

It seems Joe is done with in in that regard. It would not surprise me to see Wilson or Cishek get the opportunity if should arise.

It will not surprise me if the Cubs rent a reliever before the trade deadline.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              I don't think Edwards Jr. gets a sniff at the closer role no matter what.
                              I agree. The Cubs had a lot of options to beef up their bullpen, and going out and getting two with closing experience and them putting them in the 8th and 9th says a lot.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                                This seems appropriate.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X