Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...artner=ya4nbcs
    CLEARWATER, Fla. — Seranthony Dominguez made his major league debut five weeks into the season last year and quickly became manager Gabe Kapler’s favorite bullpen weapon.

“When Seranthony is at his best, there may not be a better reliever in baseball,” Kapler said after Dominguez made his spring debut with three quick outs against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday.

“He has no ceiling. He can be as good as anyone in the league.”

Keeping the hard-throwing, 24-year-old right-hander healthy was a priority last season and it remains so this year. Dominguez had a 1.59 ERA in his first 29 games last season but it rose to 4.88 over the next 24. That might have been attributable to fatigue and the Phils want to guard against that this season.

“We’ve had a player plan meeting with Dominguez and one of the things we want to do is definitely stay in close contact with him,” Kapler said. “Anything that crops up for him related to fatigue, we definitely want to back off."
    The best man, the best!!! Hahahaha.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Some gushing praise but not sure that translates to significant save opps.

Comment

• Anyone think that Jeffress at $7 and/or Brasier at $6 is worth keeping in a 16-team league with 6 SP and 5 RP slots? They would be locked in my lineup all year, but if they are good set-up men most of the year, that isn't a big deal. The question is whether they will get enough saves to be worth it. My only other keepable RP is Alvarado at $6, who I plan on keeping, and Minter at $11, who I am not planning on keeping.

Comment

• Knebel had a 2.44 xERA last year and 88 K in 55 IP.
          Jeffress had a 2.85 xERA last year and 89 K in 77 IP.

I owned/own both, but I would watch spring training. Jeffress has a history of wildly overperforming his xERA, and he did it again last year. but even just matching it would be good. of course, Hader will get crucial IP too and they have other interesting arms.

I think the 2019 closer's job is Knebel's to lose - and I doubt he'll lose it. in a healthy 2017, he had a solid 3.03 xERA and a Bugs Bunny-like 126 K in 76 IP.

not sure what to tell you about what it all means for Jeffress in a 16-team mixed, though
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Knebel had a 2.44 xERA last year and 88 K in 55 IP.
            Jeffress had a 2.85 xERA last year and 89 K in 77 IP.

I owned/own both, but I would watch spring training. Jeffress has a history of wildly overperforming his xERA, and he did it again last year. but even just matching it would be good. of course, Hader will get crucial IP too and they have other interesting arms.

I think the 2019 closer's job is Knebel's to lose - and I doubt he'll lose it. in a healthy 2017, he had a solid 3.03 xERA and a Bugs Bunny-like 126 K in 76 IP.

not sure what to tell you about what it all means for Jeffress in a 16-team mixed, though
            That's my concern about Jeffress in several more words. I get the Hader thing, but that isn't an issue at $7. Knebel is the one that worries me.

Comment

• I also think that Knebel keeps the closer gig in Milwaukee.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                I also think that Knebel keeps the closer gig in Milwaukee.
                I hope so. What are Burnes' chances in Boston? Monkey has him listed as closer with no asterisk.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  I hope so. What are Burnes' chances in Boston? Monkey has him listed as closer with no asterisk.

J
                  I hope Brasier gets it---before our keeper deadline.

Comment

J
                    The Red Sox right now have the look of a team that will be using a committee which is very unlike a defending World Champion. I expect them to add a closer soon.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Red Sox right now have the look of a team that will be using a committee which is very unlike a defending World Champion. I expect them to add a closer soon.
                      I really don't get why they are hell bent against Kimbrel. I got it at first, but by now I'd I agine his price is down and maybe they can even nab him on a one year deal, if the pony up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I really don't get why they are hell bent against Kimbrel. I got it at first, but by now I'd I agine his price is down and maybe they can even nab him on a one year deal, if the pony up.
                        Kimbrel's ask seems like a lot for a closer:
                        His initial ask, as reported by The Athletic’s Jayson Stark and ESPN’s Buster Olney, was a 6-year deal for at least $100MM, a figure that, in this market, had little chance to be met. By Christmas, the price was hovering near Aroldis Chapman’s record-setting 5-year, $86MM deal, though it doesn’t appear to have fallen further in the weeks to come.

Comment

The current mentality seems to be aimed toward putting your best RP in the most dangerous situations. If that is in the 7th inning, sobeit. I think Hader is the current model of success, not Diaz. If Kimbrel will sign for two years with options, they might take it. Otherwise, i think they like their chances with the bullpen they have.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Their problem is the highest luxury tax threshold. If they signed him for a one-year $20 million contract, it would cost them $35 million. At least per their GM.

Comment

The current mentality seems to be aimed toward putting your best RP in the most dangerous situations. If that is in the 7th inning, sobeit. I think Hader is the current model of success, not Diaz. If Kimbrel will sign for two years with options, they might take it. Otherwise, i think they like their chances with the bullpen they have.

J
                              Yeah, the times they are a changing. Although it is a lot easier when a team has multiple firemen like the Brewers and Yankees.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• And the Red Sox.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X