2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Mark Melancon is still "feeling something" in his right arm, per Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area.

Pavlovic notes that the Giants are "unsure if he'll be ready for Opening Day." Melancon needed surgery last September to release pressure on the pronator muscle in his forearm and he hasn't felt right all spring. It looks like Sam Dyson may return to the closer role for San Francisco to kick off the 2018 campaign.
    Source: Alex Pavlovic on TwitterMar 27 - 6:52 PM
    I hope Dyson gets the saves...says the $1 endgame Dyson owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I hope Dyson gets the saves...says the $1 endgame Dyson owner.
      Man, he had a rough spring and really hasn’t been right for a couple years. I can’t imagine he holds it down even if he had the role temporarily

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Man, he had a rough spring and really hasn’t been right for a couple years. I can’t imagine he holds it down even if he had the role temporarily
        Neris is my closer. I will be happy if Dyson gets me positive production.

When you are on the 10th floor of a burning building sometimes jumping is your best option.

Comment

I got Melancon for $8 and took Strickland for $1. Rotowire depth chart for whatever it is worth shows in this order Dyson, Strickland and Watson. Dyson as Ken pointed out has had a terrible spring.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
            I got Melancon for $8 and took Strickland for $1. Rotowire depth chart for whatever it is worth shows in this order Dyson, Strickland and Watson. Dyson as Ken pointed out has had a terrible spring.
            Dyson sucks, frankly, but it's not the first time that a team went with the established suckitude than take a chance on an arm with upside, but uncertainty.

He was allowed to have a prolonged stretch of incendiary service, and still didn't replace him with Strickland. I could be wrong, and far be it from me to argue with Rotowire whose writers know way more than I do, but there should be other names between Dyson and Strickland on that list.

Comment

I agree that they're likely to give Dyson the opportunity to close unless and until he blows multiple saves in succession.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                Dyson sucks, frankly, but it's not the first time that a team went with the established suckitude than take a chance on an arm with upside, but uncertainty.

He was allowed to have a prolonged stretch of incendiary service, and still didn't replace him with Strickland. I could be wrong, and far be it from me to argue with Rotowire whose writers know way more than I do, but there should be other names between Dyson and Strickland on that list.
                Watson has closing experience and isn't horrific right now. Any reason they don't just go with him?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  Watson has closing experience and isn't horrific right now. Any reason they don't just go with him?
                  My guess comes only from following the Giants closely, and not any skills analysis...

Watson is the only viable lefty in that pen. They do not trust Osich, and I believe his usage patterns show this. Saving Watson for the 9th means they would have lean on Osich more than they would like. When the Giants lost their closers in recent years, they never went to Affeldt or Lopez or any other lefty for more than just a couple of opportunities. I can't explain their thinking, only that that is how they do business.

I'm not saying they won't go with Watson, just that they would be going against type to do it.

Comment

Ah, yes, the Giants are old school, usually, and he is a lefty. I am sure that's it.

Comment

I'm really tempted to totally avoid the saves chase for the Giants and Cardinals among others.

Comment

According to Closermonkey, these are the 2nd in line. In at least two cases the former 2nd in line is no longer with the team.

Which of them are worth a closer look?

ATL Ramirez
                        MIA Steckenrider
                        NYM Swarzak
                        PHI Morgan
                        WAS Kintzler

CHC Edwards
                        CIN Hernandez
                        MIL Hader
                        PIT Feliz
                        STL Tuivailala

ARI Hirano
                        COL McGee
                        LAD Alexander
                        SD Stammen
                        SF Dyson

BAL Givens
                        BOS Smith
                        NYY Robertson
                        TB Alvarado
                        TOR Loup

CHW Minaya
                        CLE Otero
                        DET Stumpf
                        KC Keller
                        MIN Hildenberger

HOU Harris
                        LAA Middleton
                        OAK Petit
                        SEA Vincent
                        TEX Claudio

Related question, where does Amir Garrett fit in the Cincinnati bullpen? Is he just waiting for a SP injury?

J
                        Last edited by onejayhawk; 03-28-2018, 11:37 AM.
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                          I'm really tempted to totally avoid the saves chase for the Giants and Cardinals among others.
                          At least the Cardinals' options are fine pitchers. If you grab Lyons and he doesn't get a save opp, at least you got a good MR on a good team. The Giants offer no such salve. Pretty much anyone you take a chance on, could kill you if they don't get the 9th. In my 12-team NL-only, I had Dyson for $1 and didn't have him on my keeper list. About 90 minutes before the list was due, the Melancon news came in and I begrudgingly added him. Unless, he gets the 9th, he may be an albatross. Maybe the only good play in SF is Beede, but then their rotation is so banged up, they can't spare him there.

Comment

Beat writer speculation is Kela is the man in Texas to start. He'll have a chance to earn it as a permanent gig. I now have too many closers with both Kela and Boxberger on my bench, but neither has the confidence to allow me to flip them yet. I'll just have to hold for awhile to see if they can prove they can keep the jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              At least the Cardinals' options are fine pitchers. If you grab Lyons and he doesn't get a save opp, at least you got a good MR on a good team. The Giants offer no such salve. Pretty much anyone you take a chance on, could kill you if they don't get the 9th. In my 12-team NL-only, I had Dyson for $1 and didn't have him on my keeper list. About 90 minutes before the list was due, the Melancon news came in and I begrudgingly added him. Unless, he gets the 9th, he may be an albatross. Maybe the only good play in SF is Beede, but then their rotation is so banged up, they can't spare him there.
                              I actually did that in a keeper league. If he is in the closer conversation, good enough. Next year, the same will be true. This year, I would say similar things about Leone.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I would say at least Claudio (Texas) and Swarzak (NYM). I have the Closer Monkey's #1 for both, and what I've read on them makes me thing the 1&2 are interchangeable
                                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                                X