2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Romo starts the game for the 2nd day in a row. I'm not sure I've ever seen this.
    I'm sure it's happened due to rainouts in the first game after an inning or so. I don't know that any team has ever tried it, though.
    you can have a righty go an inning against the top hitters, then go to a lefty in the second inning if those are better matchups - and leave the guy in a while.

it seems weird, but it's a marginal advantage, potentially.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Really bad outing for Ziegler today. Handed a 5-run lead in the 9th, he gave up a BB and 3 H before being pulled for Tayron Guerrero who got the BS and the L, giving up 2 H 2 BBz and a WP. Ziegler's ERA now sits at 7.20. May be time for BearClaw, who had already been used earlier today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        I'm sure it's happened due to rainouts in the first game after an inning or so. I don't know that any team has ever tried it, though.
        you can have a righty go an inning against the top hitters, then go to a lefty in the second inning if those are better matchups - and leave the guy in a while.

it seems weird, but it's a marginal advantage, potentially.
        I've long thought this should be something teams utilize when bringing up an unproven starter or have a weak #5. Have a strong reliever start the game. If the "RP" (who is actually starting the game) goes only one inning, at least the "SP" doesn't have to face the meat of the lineup with anyone on base the first time through. If the goes two innings, the SP can start the game facing the weaker part of the opposing team's lineup. Maybe help him build some momentum.

The lefty/righty thing can also be a factor.

A lot of teams throw out some pretty marginal starting pitchers. I don't see why they don't do everything they can to put them in a position to win.

Comment

Jace Fry w a surprise save today for the ChiSox. Perfect inning w 2 Ks. He's now thrown 8.3 IP w no hits no runs and 12 Ks! Stay tuned.
          Damn. I was hoping to land him for $1 in my AL league but I guess I need to bump it up now.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Really bad outing for Ziegler today. Handed a 5-run lead in the 9th, he gave up a BB and 3 H before being pulled for Tayron Guerrero who got the BS and the L, giving up 2 H 2 BBz and a WP. Ziegler's ERA now sits at 7.20. May be time for BearClaw, who had already been used earlier today.
            Ugh. I dropped Clippard for him in a shallow mixer today, effective tomorrow (whew!). Claw is on my watch list so I will continue to...watch him.

ETA: Prior to tonight's game. Ziegler has had scoreless outings in seven of his last nine appearances and was now 8-for-8 in save chances on the year. (ESPN)

Will one bad outing cost him the job?
            Last edited by virgonomic; 05-20-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Parker now in LAA? Ugh, Scoscia....
              12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
              1B-Cron
              2B- Villar
              SS- Andrus
              3B-Baez
              MI-L. Gurriel
              CI- Y.Gurriel
              OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
              UTIL- Benintendi
              BENCH: Pence, Dyson
              SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
              RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
              IL: Buxton

Comment

• recall that Marlins Manager Don Mattingly had a beloved pet Stegosaurus as a kid (not that I'm saying he's old). few managers would have looked at his 2018 roster - and Ziegler's numbers for much of last year - and said, "yeah, Ziegler's not quite 40 yet, so he has plenty left in the tank. he's my guy!"

also, Ziegler was extremely effective later last year after he was healthy.

I have warned before about assuming Ziegler has one foot in the closer's grave*. this was bad, but it's a closer in a 9-4 game looking to get some tuneup work, he's ineffective, and "one of the kids" blows up the stadium.

Ziegler will lose his job at some point - but don't overthink it. Mattingly's default mode is inertia.

Barraclough is the best possibility, but Mattingly hasn't exactly raced to make a switch.

* - I have owned most of Ziegler's career, including the sweet stretch run last year. I traded him at 10-S1 in March for Molina 13-S1 (which looked awesome until that unfortunate "south of the border" incident). but I also already owned Knebel 2 and Neris 1, so adding an at-cost C was very appealing.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Mattingly's default mode is inertia..
                  Exactly. And this makes him like most managers in this regard.

Ziegler is on borrowed time at this point, but his demise is not imminent. If you have Ziegler, keep riding him, but be ready to jump off before the train stops, if you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                    Parker now in LAA? Ugh, Scoscia....
                    He's probably the best pitcher they have down there. Would not be shocked at all to see him emerge with the job. He did do it last year after all.

Comment

Romo starts the game for the 2nd day in a row. I'm not sure I've ever seen this.

Zack Greinke of the Brewers is the first pitcher in 95 years to start three consecutive games for his team. Greinke started against Houston on a Saturday, but was ejected after two batters. He came back and started Sunday's game. And thanks to the All-Star break, Greinke was in line to start the Brewers' next game against the Pirates

Zack Greinke of the Brewers is the first pitcher in 95 years to start three consecutive games for his team. Greinke started against Housto...

Comment

• Neris with a clean save against the Braves. Sir Anthony worked the 8th.

One less headache for me (for now).

Comment

• Knebel a clean 9th for MIL

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                            ...Sir Anthony worked the 8th.

One less headache for me (for now).
                            No longer perfect, He gave up a hit. Turns out he's mortal after all.

Comment

Knebel a clean 9th for MIL
                              A save, finally!!

Comment

No longer perfect, He gave up a hit. Turns out he's mortal after all.
                                should I drop him in my 20 team dynasty mixed league ?
                                --------------------------------------
                                You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

Working...
                                X