2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
    I'm surprised that Counsell doesn't give Hader the chance. He is the best pitcher IMO in that bullpen. Too much emphasis on needing a lefty. BTW I thought Hoover was buried next to the K-Rod corpse.
    He's more valuable to the team in longer chunks. He can dominate for 2-3 innings at a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Brewers still a mess
      Barnes blows another SV, but again in weird conditions

nobody left to close for a W in the 10th
      the rotting corpse of JJ Hoover tries against the bottom of the lineup - but blows it before salvaging the tie

I always wanted to see a hot dog vendor get a save - might happen for either team at this rate
      The rotting corpse of JJ Hoover was DFA'd today.

Comment

• This is what needs to happen (of course it won't) for the whole thing to work again, IMO. They may just need to take a couple on the chin and sit the majority of the bullpen down. Then assign absolute roles to each guy so they know what's going to happen. Closing isn't any harder than pitching the 7th inning, if the guy has the stones to do so, and you'll get even the best hitters out 7 out of 10 times.

I'd go for Albers, but there's no reason that Barnes couldn't close...as JJ alluded to, neither guy has been hit hard, they've just been unlucky for the most part.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          I'd go for Albers, but there's no reason that Barnes couldn't close...as JJ alluded to, neither guy has been hit hard, they've just been unlucky for the most part.
          I'm in agreement with Horns and JJ here. That pen is not terrible, it just lacks a clear stopper. I get that Hader is more valuable as a long man, so while he's the most suitable for the 9th, I'm okay with that decision. Neither Albers or Barnes have been bad. They haven't been great, haven't stepped up, but they haven't closed the door on closing either.

Right now, they are getting nothing from Brandon Woodruff. I could easily see them transition him to the pen for this season. Plus, Miley is due back eventually, and I think they'll give him a shot in the rotation, which may kick someone else down.

I think good teams know how to use all of their available pieces, sort of min/max (for all you gamers out there) their way through the season. I think what's upsetting to us is that MIL doesn't seem to do this very well. They seem to have so many assets that go unused. Hernan Perez and Jesus Aguilar -two guys with some track record of success and both in their physical prime- have less than 30 ABs between them. Teams can get away with this inefficiency if they are so good that they just win despite it, or so bad that it just doesn't matter. MIL is in the sticky middle. They have to maximize to have any chance of competing against powerhouse CHI and always-good StL and suddenly-dangerous PIT. If they don't get their acts together, and soon, this season will be over before it started and those dramatic OF acquisitions will cost some from office guys their jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            What a clusterf**k.

At this stage it would not be surprising if they turned to a new face (Hader? Jeffress?) or simply imported a new arm. They have Keon Broxton rotting in AAA, maybe it’s time they dealt him for another bullpenner before this season goes off the rails.
            most teams OFs are overcrowded with their own talent. I dont think theres much of a market for Broxton.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
              I'm in agreement with Horns and JJ here. That pen is not terrible, it just lacks a clear stopper. I get that Hader is more valuable as a long man, so while he's the most suitable for the 9th, I'm okay with that decision. Neither Albers or Barnes have been bad. They haven't been great, haven't stepped up, but they haven't closed the door on closing either.

Right now, they are getting nothing from Brandon Woodruff. I could easily see them transition him to the pen for this season. Plus, Miley is due back eventually, and I think they'll give him a shot in the rotation, which may kick someone else down.

I think good teams know how to use all of their available pieces, sort of min/max (for all you gamers out there) their way through the season. I think what's upsetting to us is that MIL doesn't seem to do this very well. They seem to have so many assets that go unused. Hernan Perez and Jesus Aguilar -two guys with some track record of success and both in their physical prime- have less than 30 ABs between them. Teams can get away with this inefficiency if they are so good that they just win despite it, or so bad that it just doesn't matter. MIL is in the sticky middle. They have to maximize to have any chance of competing against powerhouse CHI and always-good StL and suddenly-dangerous PIT. If they don't get their acts together, and soon, this season will be over before it started and those dramatic OF acquisitions will cost some from office guys their jobs.
              Yelich gets a multi-week injury, Braun goes to the OF, and they've got a Thames/Aguilar platoon at 1B again. Seems like their depth is OK for now. But point taken - they do have a crapton of 1-2 WAR guys that they need to find some way to use correctly, because they're light on 4+ WAR guys.

Comment

• Woodruff is in the minors now, I suppose they could bring him back as a short reliever but his two appearances before his only start weren't great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  This is what needs to happen (of course it won't) for the whole thing to work again, IMO. They may just need to take a couple on the chin and sit the majority of the bullpen down. Then assign absolute roles to each guy so they know what's going to happen. Closing isn't any harder than pitching the 7th inning, if the guy has the stones to do so, and you'll get even the best hitters out 7 out of 10 times.

Absolutely correct here. The Brewers have a good pen despite the last few days. From what I just read it sounds like Counsell will use Albers or Barnes to close out games and leave Hader for possible multi-innings.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/4/...h-hader-closer

Comment

• Gotta suck to be a Giles owner right now...a few days ago Hinch said that he's got "5 or 6 guys" who could close games. And even though Giles last pitched on Monday, Devinski got the call, and the save...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Barnes with 2 clean IP with the Brewers down 6-4

Albers is the current king of the Brewers' bogus "committee"
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Norris rather than Holland with the SV for the Cards tonight.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Middleton closes out the Angels win tonight, so It looks like that bullpen is settled for the moment...wasn't pretty, but a save is a save. Double play and a caught stealing...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Middleton gets the call and sets down the Royals. Safe to say he’s the guy for now.

Comment

• Strickland for the long haul in SF. Still a buy low window.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                                Strickland for the long haul in SF. Still a buy low window.
                                I don't see how you figure that...he's been snapped up in every league that I'm aware of, and most people think that Melancon is probably out for the long term.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X