2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post
    Disagree. This is not a committee. Boxberger is the closer.
    Maybe, but then why Bradley instead of Boxberger yesterday?

Comment

• Nick Piecoro

@nickpiecoro
      14h14 hours ago

Boxberger had pitched three out of the past five and Dbacks decided he was down today, Lovullo said. They're being careful with him early in the year; have to assume his injury history played a part in that.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Nick Piecoro

@nickpiecoro
        14h14 hours ago

Boxberger had pitched three out of the past five and Dbacks decided he was down today, Lovullo said. They're being careful with him early in the year; have to assume his injury history played a part in that.
        Bradley pitched an inning each day Boxberger did the last 5 days. Which is why I made my comment. Does Boxberger have less stamina than Bradley?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Nick Piecoro

@nickpiecoro
          14h14 hours ago

This is what I assumed, and I think it is wise of them to play it this way. I expect there to be a handful of other save opps for Bradley for the same reason, but Boxberger has shown the skills in the past to close, and if they can manage to keep him healthy, I think it is a safe bet that he ends up with the vast majority of saves.

As an aside, I really like Zona's team this year. If Boxberger does stay healthy and productive, they have a great bullpen, and their starters, 1-5 are as good as you can find. Godley as a 5 starter is just an embarrassment of riches for them (granted, I think he should be their 3 starter, ahead of Walker and Corbin, but still, all five guys are good to great).

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            Bradley pitched an inning each day Boxberger did the last 5 days. Which is why I made my comment. Does Boxberger have less stamina than Bradley?
            See Horns' comment above. Yes, the D-Backs are being more careful with Boxberger than they are with Bradley. Which I think is justified.

If anything this is a good sign for Boxberger. The D-Backs are not going to make him a multi-inning fireman. They're going to leave him in a role where he can pitch one inning at a time.

Comment

• Boxberger pitched March 30, Apr 2,4,5 and 8 all 1 inning each. I don't see this as a committee but Boxberger getting the save opportunities with Bradley getting the occasional save. One thing of note and this is early yet his velocity is down 1 mile.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                Perhaps, he certainly has a history of injuries, which is why Lovullo is being extra careful with his workload. He had groin surgery in 2016, and well as a strained Oblique...in 2017, he had a strained Lat that cost him 3 months. So what Luvollo is doing makes sense to me...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Brewers still a mess
                  Barnes blows another SV, but again in weird conditions

nobody left to close for a W in the 10th
                  the rotting corpse of JJ Hoover tries against the bottom of the lineup - but blows it before salvaging the tie

I always wanted to see a hot dog vendor get a save - might happen for either team at this rate
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Brewers still a mess
                    Barnes blows another SV, but again in weird conditions

nobody left to close for a W in the 10th
                    the rotting corpse of JJ Hoover tries against the bottom of the lineup - but blows it before salvaging the tie

I always wanted to see a hot dog vendor get a save - might happen for either team at this rate
                    What a clusterf**k.

At this stage it would not be surprising if they turned to a new face (Hader? Jeffress?) or simply imported a new arm. They have Keon Broxton rotting in AAA, maybe it’s time they dealt him for another bullpenner before this season goes off the rails.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      What a clusterf**k.

At this stage it would not be surprising if they turned to a new face (Hader? Jeffress?) or simply imported a new arm. They have Keon Broxton rotting in AAA, maybe it’s time they dealt him for another bullpenner before this season goes off the rails.
                      Albers was unavailable after throwing 2 innings the night before (because he blew a save, of course). I guess he is probably next up, but we can't be far from Jeffress time. Maybe they can sign K-Rod.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        Albers was unavailable after throwing 2 innings the night before (because he blew a save, of course). I guess he is probably next up, but we can't be far from Jeffress time. Maybe they can sign K-Rod.
                        Broxton to....

....the A's for Treinen or Petit?
                        ....the White Sox for Nate Jones?
                        ....the Tigers for Shane Greene?

Comment

• I'm surprised that Counsell doesn't give Hader the chance. He is the best pitcher IMO in that bullpen. Too much emphasis on needing a lefty. BTW I thought Hoover was buried next to the K-Rod corpse.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Broxton to....

....the A's for Treinen or Petit?
                            ....the White Sox for Nate Jones?
                            ....the Tigers for Shane Greene?
                            Avila would never make that deal unless prospects were sent back. Tigers aren't winning anytime soon and baseball-wise I see very little upside from Broxton. He will always be that tease for power/speed with high K and low BA.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                              I'm surprised that Counsell doesn't give Hader the chance. He is the best pitcher IMO in that bullpen. Too much emphasis on needing a lefty. BTW I thought Hoover was buried next to the K-Rod corpse.
                              Idiotic managing, glad they lost.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• as I noted, neither Barnes nor Albers have been terrible in these games.

some dinks and dunks and some poor managerial timing, so I still expect Barnes and Albers for now (says this Knebel/Albers/Jeffress owner).
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X