Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The big 4 SP

My league is a Mixed league..5x5..13 teams...$300 budget

How important do you think it is to get one of the big 4 SP... Kershaw, Kluber, Sale, and Scherzer in regards to winning your league?

Will you spend big money to get one? Or do you go for cheaper 2nd or 3rd tier SP?

I have been a huge believer in paying whatever it takes to get Kershaw, but with his back issues i am very skeptical on paying big money for him. The other 3 will probably be kept, so Kershaw will be the only one available in the auction.

Thoughts?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I'm in the same spot. Kershaw will be available in the auction along with Thor and MadBum, but the others will be kept.

I'm leaning towards a Thor/Ray/DeGrom strategy instead of relying on Kershaw, but haven't finalized the plan.

Comment

Three seasons out of the last four kershaw landed on the dl with back issues. Hard to pay full price for this risk but even at 25 starts, he is among the best stats in baseball.

2017 is the first time below 7 innings per start, coming in well below at 6.48/start. Is this important or just a blip on the radar of his back?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        My league is a Mixed league..5x5..13 teams...$300 budget

How important do you think it is to get one of the big 4 SP... Kershaw, Kluber, Sale, and Scherzer in regards to winning your league?

Will you spend big money to get one? Or do you go for cheaper 2nd or 3rd tier SP?

I have been a huge believer in paying whatever it takes to get Kershaw, but with his back issues i am very skeptical on paying big money for him. The other 3 will probably be kept, so Kershaw will be the only one available in the auction.

Thoughts?
        It is all a matter of personal style - and trading philosophies of the league.

It is tough to win without an ace but finishing with an ace can be enough

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          Three seasons out of the last four kershaw landed on the dl with back issues. Hard to pay full price for this risk but even at 25 starts, he is among the best stats in baseball.

2017 is the first time below 7 innings per start, coming in well below at 6.48/start. Is this important or just a blip on the radar of his back?
          This is the very reason that Kershaw will be less expensive than years past.

How much depends on your league and what is available. What is a "good " price in your league?

So far early mock drafts and magazines have fallen into this line of thinking. Kershaw is not being talked about as a top 3 pick this year (like he was last year).

I think Scherzer is the big money play this year.

In my NL only I decided to trade for the reasonably priced $34a Strasburg rather than go after Kershaw, or Scherzer.

Comment

I won my AL only and crushed the pitching categories w/o one of the big boys (but I had everyone just behind the big boys Carrasco/Severino/Paxton/Stroman/Morton). The runner up team had Klubot; Chris Sale split time on a couple of teams that finished out of the money.
            One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

It depends on the team you have. If I'm going into the draft with no starters worth admiring, I may get one of the big ones and then fill in with mid-range guys that I like. If I'm keeping some good mid-rangers starters real cheap, I may target a sub-ace and go bargains after that. Just go with what's best for the team you have.

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                I won my AL only and crushed the pitching categories w/o one of the big boys (but I had everyone just behind the big boys Carrasco/Severino/Paxton/Stroman/Morton). The runner up team had Klubot; Chris Sale split time on a couple of teams that finished out of the money.
                Results will vary and will depend on how others in your league valued each player. I won my 12 team AL only with Sale and Archer last year because they went cheap relative to the big name bats.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  It depends on the team you have. If I'm going into the draft with no starters worth admiring, I may get one of the big ones and then fill in with mid-range guys that I like. If I'm keeping some good mid-rangers starters real cheap, I may target a sub-ace and go bargains after that. Just go with what's best for the team you have.
                  I have:

Ervin for $1
                  Ray for $9
                  Cobb $4

as potential keepers.

if i make no deals before the draft.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I have:

Ervin for $1
                    Ray for $9
                    Cobb $4

as potential keepers.

We're in similar spots, I have Nola $9, Snell $6, Nelson $1 (if he's close to healthy at the end of spring training)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      We're in similar spots, I have Nola $9, Snell $6, Nelson $1 (if he's close to healthy at the end of spring training)
                      So with those keepers will you go for an elite SP? If available.

Comment

I have:

Ervin for $1
                        Ray for $9
                        Cobb $4

as potential keepers.

How is your offense? Given these if I had the money I would target Scherzer, Sale, and of course I would take Kershaw if the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          I'm in the same spot. Kershaw will be available in the auction along with Thor and MadBum, but the others will be kept.

I'm leaning towards a Thor/Ray/DeGrom strategy instead of relying on Kershaw, but haven't finalized the plan.
                          Given your keeper pitchers I am thinking you might need two of these. So in this case I think I would make the strong run at Kershaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            How is your offense? Given these if I had the money I would target Scherzer, Sale, and of course I would take Kershaw if the price is right.
                            I expect Sale, Kluber and Scherzer to be kept. As well as Thor/MadBum/Stras.

My keepers for offense will probably be -- JD/Rosario/Bird/Carlos ($55 total) for sure and maybe Nunez/Olson. Decent, but not real strong IMO.

I paid $84 for Kershaw last year. Given his back issues I don't think he will be that much this season..

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Given your keeper pitchers I am thinking you might need two of these.
                              I agree, I was going after 2 or 3. I have the $ to do all 3 that I listed.

Comment

Working...
                              X