overpaying on a trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overpaying on a trade

12 team 5x5 using AVG. 6 keepers, contracts go up $5/yr. 3 minor league keepers, priced at $3/$2/$1; you can only have one at each price.

I find myself with seven good keepers and two $3 minor leaguers, so I can either cut a major leaguer and try to trade a ML3 contract for an ML2, or I can try to package a bunch of guys for something else. Which of these options should I do?

Current keepers with salary for 2018:
    Trea Turner $11
    Anthony Rendon $20
    Kris Bryant $18
    Carlos Correa $16
    Rhys Hoskins $12
    Joey Gallo $6
    Tommy Pham $6

Minors:
    Gleyber Torres $3
    Victor Robles $3
    Willy Adames $1

If I wanted to cut a major leaguer and trade Torres or Robles by himself, I could go get Senzel or Kopech or Alex Reyes and probably get them to throw in a couple FAAB dollars or something.

If I wanted to trade a package, I could offer two of my major leaguers and one of Torres or Robles for one of these packages:
    Benintendi $7
    Domingo Santana $6 + Senzel ML2
    Corey Seager $12 or Robbie Ray $9 + Kopech ML2
    Judge $6 + Alex Reyes ML2
    Stanton $33 or Bregman $8 + Glasnow ML1
    Jose Ramirez $15
    Cody Bellinger $3 or Syndergaard $11
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I'd try do do something with Gallo/Pham/Torres.

Domingo Santana is good but not worth this level of trade.
    Stanton is a monster but at $33 and the injury risk I'd avoid (primarily considering the other options).
    Seager and Ray are good but not enough of an upgrade for me.

Personally I'd target:

Bellinger
    Judge/Reyes
    Benintendi
    Ramirez
    Syndergaard
    Bregman

In that order.

Comment

I'd put Judge/Reyes above Bellinger, but otherwise that looks about right.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Either one would be great. Agree that the target is either Bellinger or Judge + Reyes. I would offer Rendon plus Gallo plus Torres.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          I agree with cavebird here. And I'd essentially let that owner have his choice of either ML3 player and anyone not named Carlos on the ML roster for the first player and one of Hoskins/Gallo/Pham. You'll overpay in theory but I think it'd be a win-win.

I'd do just about the same thing for Bellinger, too, minus the ML3. I'd then leverage the ML3 in a package with a major league keeper for one of the other deals.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If you cant get a deal done, I would have no qualms at all about dropping Gallo. Considering how cheap power is and his avg being a big minus, I dont see much value in him at $6 in a league this shallow.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              If you cant get a deal done, I would have no qualms at all about dropping Gallo. Considering how cheap power is and his avg being a big minus, I dont see much value in him at $6 in a league this shallow.
              This is an excellent point.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                I agree here, too. And it is probably necessary. Nobody is going to trade Judge or Bellinger with those contracts.

Comment

Working...
                X