Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Only OF help

NL Only 4x4 $260 10 Team

Can keep 5 OF plus a UT. I'd prefer to keep the UT spot open for the auction if possible. Need to whittle this down; who would be your last 2 from this last?

Altherr 10 B
    Conforto 5 B
    Dahl 10 B
    Duvall 1 C (one time chance to extend at $5 per year)
    Polanco 20 (2 years left on extended contract; buy out costs $40 in real money)
    Tapia 10 A
    Winker 10 A
    Also have Acuna in ML and could activate at any time

I have a realistic shot at top 3 finish.

Some of these are pretty close. First no way am I giving up Acuna.

The two I would cut are Tapia-playing time issues and price tag in a 10 teamer (I have taken into consideration that speed is more important in a 4x4) and Polanco.

I like the $10 bucks plus the other players over Polonco. If the $40 is important. I probably cut Dahl and rebid him. He hasn't shown the ability to stay on the field and he is already a B contract. I could see putting him back and rebidding to restart the contract.

Comment

GPolanco issue is a reminder to many here who always want to extend the hell out of people, to the point of eliminating the profit - or worse.
      that said, he is very likely to rebound, which complicates matters.

my hunch is that Conforto turns out to be missing more time than currently admitted (see signing of Bruce and AdGonz), so watch for that
      Tapia, Dahl, and Winker all are significantly shakier in NL 10-team than NL 12-team at 10 units

the good news is the bad news: keep Duvall and Acuna, and the other choices may be pretty irrelevant
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Cut Tapia and Polanco. I like Tapia a lot in 5x5 longer term but not this year in 4x4. Polanco just overpriced. I like Winker a lot and that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          GPolanco issue is a reminder to many here who always want to extend the hell out of people, to the point of eliminating the profit - or worse.
          that said, he is very likely to rebound, which complicates matters.

my hunch is that Conforto turns out to be missing more time than currently admitted (see signing of Bruce and AdGonz), so watch for that
          Tapia, Dahl, and Winker all are significantly shakier in NL 10-team than NL 12-team at 10 units

the good news is the bad news: keep Duvall and Acuna, and the other choices may be pretty irrelevant

I'm worried about Conforto too; damn it - he was the steal of our auction last year! If he misses a month that's fine, but if it turns out to be all star break or something then who knows what he's going to be capable of. He reminds me of Dahl this time last year - late April, no mid May, July 1, ended up being another lost year.

Comment

Here's how I rank them
            Duvall 1 C (extend to $6)
            Conforto 5 B
            ~
            Polanco 20 (I'm betting on a rebound, maybe a big one.)
            ~
            Altherr 10 B (not crazy about him, but he offers some counting stat upside these others don't offer)
            Tapia 10 A (not worth $10, for a part-time SB-only guy. He's young with a little upside, but he's really just an SB guy at this point, and he doesn't have PT)
            Winker 10 A (If this is an OBP league, I'd put him right under Polanco. I'm assuming it's AVG and I leave him here. Not nearly enough speed or power to really warrant $10 and a roster spot in a 10-teamer. He pairs well with Duvall.)
            Dahl 10 B (Depends on whether or not you believe in him returning to health. $10 seems like a lot of exposure to me, but his upside is big. Because you think you're in it, I'd probably toss him back and throw him out early and try to get him bid up into the late teens and have him be someone else's expensive risk.)
            Acuna in ML (keep at all costs)

If it were me, and we had a DL, I'd keep Duvall, Conforto and Polanco (and Winker if it's an OBP league). Then I'd budget for one big OF and one $1 OF. When someone doesn't pan out, or is DLed, I bring up Acuna.

This is a 10-teamer, so it's relatively shallow. This means there are plenty of opportunities for quality in the deep end of the player pool. Don't waste too much budget on $10 risky guys. You can get them for less than that at draft.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
              This is a 10-teamer, so it's relatively shallow.

10-team only is pretty deep, though I'm sure 12 is even worse.

Sad as the Conforto injury is, you have to keep him, even if he ends up being midseason trade bait.

Unless this is a very high dollar league and $40 is trivial, you have to keep Polanco, and I probably would anyway. How soon do you have to decide? I probably wouldn't keep both of Dahl and Tapia, but it'd be nice to know which is in line to start before you decide. I'd probably cut one Colorado outfielder and Winker, but I might just go with both Colorado guys if they end up playing McMahon at first and Desmond in the outfield.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

Okay. I guess it's all your perspective. My default setting is 12-team ultra which is, in my opinion, deep. Everything else, pretty much, is shallower than that. I have also done 10-teamers, and they are, as I said, relatively shallow. There are several guys who will give more than $10 of stats just hanging around at the end in dollar days in a 10-teamer. There are markedly less in a 12-teamer.

Comment

Oh, good point. I'm thinking of 10-team like my leagues that also have a 17-man bench, and there's nothing left over there. But if you have a normal bench size maybe it's not quite that tight.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

Sad as the Conforto injury is, you have to keep him, even if he ends up being midseason trade bait.

Unless this is a very high dollar league and $40 is trivial, you have to keep Polanco, and I probably would anyway. How soon do you have to decide? I probably wouldn't keep both of Dahl and Tapia, but it'd be nice to know which is in line to start before you decide. I'd probably cut one Colorado outfielder and Winker, but I might just go with both Colorado guys if they end up playing McMahon at first and Desmond in the outfield.
                    Our protected lists aren't due until a couple of days before opening day. 15 keeper max, 23 man roster, no bench, max 8 minors, no max on DL spots.

I like holding out on deciding between the 2 Rockies, but makes off season trading a little more difficult. I'm agreeing with the general consensus here that Tapia should be the first guy out. If they ship Cargo and Dahl is on DL he may have value, but ya, probably best to drop him or try to trade for a minors pick.

Pirates lineup will likely be underwhelming and in a good pitching park to boot. I recall seeing more than a few Polanco blasts to right rebounding off the upper half of the 21 foot wall. On the other hand he should be in a prime lineup spot all year although he was kind of a disaster in the 4 hole last year. All about health with him, as with Conforto and Dahl.

I'm finding this tricky because I think all of these guys have some trade value but it's a crap shoot when guessing on health. I guess I should be happy if 5 end up being healthy enough to start the year and hope that some last minute trades before our deadline are possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X