Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers-Braves Party Like It's 2007!

Old man blockbuster!

Matt Kemp back to the Dodgers for Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson & cash

The Dodgers get salary relief this season. The Braves take on some salary for this season, but not too much and the contracts expire this year. The Braves also were looking to add veteran pitching. Kazmir and McCarthy might pitch well enough that they can flip them during the season.

I get all of that but why Culbertson?

Comment

"Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Braves plan to designate Adrian Gonzalez for assignment.
      The only reason that Gonzalez waived his no-trade clause to be included in the Matt Kemp deal, is that the Braves' promised him that he would become a free agent once the deal was completed. The 35-year-old is expected to be fully healthy for spring training, but will now have to find another team willing to give him a shot." (source:Rotoworld)
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Will Kemp even start for the Dodgers? Platoon with Joc?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Bet he doesn't even suit up for them.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            What fuhrdog said...there are rumblings that Kemp'll be DFA'd as soon an Monday. It's purely a salary dump for the Dodgers...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Dodgers will try to get an AL team with DH room interested

Culberson inclusion is hilarious. apparently Braves figure he's a nice UT guy for 2018

uh, he also has a 57 career OPS+ (!) in 443 MLB PAs

ok, he was 8 for 18 with a HR in this past postseason, but c'mon, man

proven terrible hitter at 4 spots - SS, 2B, 3B, and LF
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Culberson inclusion is hilarious. apparently Braves figure he's a nice UT guy for 2018

Just goes to show you how much more valuable these utility players are now compared to 10-20 years ago. Even the bad utility players are considered a valuable commodity. The 6, 7, and 8 men bullpens are making the one position bench player an endangered species.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Dodgers will try to get an AL team with DH room interested

I can't think of more than a couple of teams that MIGHT take him on...The White Sox and KC are both scratching the bottom of the barrel, but I doubt that they'd take on more than the league minimum in salary for Kemp. And probably not that for an old guy who might not be good in the clubhouse...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    What fuhrdog said...there are rumblings that Kemp'll be DFA'd as soon an Monday. It's purely a salary dump for the Dodgers...
                    I hadn't seen that they might DFA him but that wouldn't shock me either. I figured they would eat 35M or so out of the 43m and get a middling prospect for him.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      I hadn't seen that they might DFA him but that wouldn't shock me either. I figured they would eat 35M or so out of the 43m and get a middling prospect for him.
                      From MLB Trade Rumors:

Shortly after the news broke, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported the Dodgers would likely trade or release Kemp before he ever plays another game in their uniform (he was previously with LA from 2006-14). The Dodgers will first try to flip Kemp, confirms McCullough, who adds that they “appear willing to offer prospects” to help convince someone to take some of his contract. Kemp, 33, is due $21.5MM in each of the next two seasons.

Keith Law of ESPN opines that he wouldn’t even be worth picking up if the Dodgers ate all of that money (subscription required and recommended). Regarding a discussion he had with Kemp, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said: “I was very open and honest with him about what the future might hold. It’s just too difficult to say, definitively, at this point.”

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                      X