A chance to acquire Trout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A chance to acquire Trout?

A quick recap of my season - Thought I'd contend and still do - currently in 10th out of 14 but only 20 points back. I am dead last in steals and 12th in avg, 11th in runs, and 10th in rbi. I havent thrown in the towel yet. but also dont see the value in playing for 3rd or 4th when 5th gives me the first pick in the farm draft.

I was offered Morneau 24, Wallace 11/2yrs, and Trout (minors) for Crawford 44 and Konerko 9/x (cant be kept). This is not a deal I'm considering because I dont want Wallace's contract and Morneau is looking like he may not bounce back this year.

But I'm considering countering with the same two from my side + a lesser prospect like Alex Torres for Berkman 2, Morneau 24, Trout. Then I'd have to try to swing another deal for some steals, maybe even two basestealers, and also hope Morneau starts hitting.

This downgrades me but gives me a nice couple of keepers for next year. One reason I wouldnt want to do it is I'm already set to keep Rendon, Segura, Cole, Moore, Taillon, and Lamb (if still rookie eligible). Trading for Trout and not flipping someone like Taillon or Lamb for help this year would greatly diminish the upgrade value of getting Trout. Also I would have Trout for his rookie season + 3 more so likely 2012-2015, assuming he doesnt get 130+ ab this year.

Any thoughts on my possible counter? Am I even offering enough?
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

You're offering enough with your counter but dude is probably going to think Berkman is going to be awesome all year given you're in a Texas-based league and there is probably some bias in the league toward him.

Comment

Actually I think this guy is in Chicago, not sure. Only two of us in the league are in Texas.

Am I offering too much or just about right? I do think you are right about the other owner thinking Berkman is going to be great all year.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        Actually I think this guy is in Chicago, not sure. Only two of us in the league are in Texas.

Am I offering too much or just about right? I do think you are right about the other owner thinking Berkman is going to be great all year.
        well, given that (and that you need basestealers), maybe you just wait a week or two and see if Berkman calms down any/Crawford gets in gear?
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

What is wrong with the Wallace contract? I kind of like it.

I think I would take the Wallace for Konerko and love Trout in the Mix. I guess I would tell him to swap out Morneau for another player and pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            well, given that (and that you need basestealers), maybe you just wait a week or two and see if Berkman calms down any/Crawford gets in gear?
            By then he might have already traded Trout away to a team that is already out of contention.

Originally posted by Gregg
            What is wrong with the Wallace contract? I kind of like it.

I think I would take the Wallace for Konerko and love Trout in the Mix. I guess I would tell him to swap out Morneau for another player and pull the trigger.
            Wallace looks a lot better than last year but its hard to imagine him being worth more than $11 the next two years in my league.

Comment

He may or may not but he is not a bad replacement for this year to get Trout. You may also be able to trade him at the deadline. It is Morneau that needs to be upgraded.

Comment

I made the counter offer mentioned in my first post (3rd paragraph) and the other owner countered by replacing Crawford with Pujols so now its: Pujols, Konerko, Torres (minor leaguer) for Morneau, Berkman 2, Trout (minors). I didnt list salaries of players I wouldnt or couldnt keep.

I'm pretty sure this is worse for me because Pujols looks slightly less lost at the plate than Crawford. However, if neither of them get fully back on track, Crawford might actually be worth more if he can hit .275 the rest of the way with 25-30 steals.

Looking at the other owners roster, I dont see many small additions I can make. He has Lidge and Santana 6 But I'm not real interested in them. Perhaps asking for an upgrade from Billy Hamilton to Brett Jackson would work.

Should I accept or counter with a slightly modified deal?

Comment

I dunno, if you really think Trout is the best keeper out there then I'd consider it but I'd really rather get a better piece for Pujols AND Konerko. I guess you could flip Berkman but I don't think a 38-year old OF should be part of a rebuilding strategy. If Pujols was himself I'd think you could get Trout just for him. You're getting a really good lottery ticket in Trout, and another possible one in Morneau. I'd rather have an established young player to build around - someone with a couple years left like Mike Stanton or Buster Posey.

Comment

Berkman is 35... would that make a difference in your opinion? I'm kind of hoping he can be a $15-18 player in my league next year. I doubt I'd get Stanton for Pujols in a 1 for 1, Pujols and Konerko would probably get it done, with perhaps a prospect added to the Stanton side. Then I'd have Stanton for 2 years at $11 each versus Berkman for one year at $2.

Trout is the real target though...

Comment

Working...
                    X