Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My worst NL team going into the auction ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly when I read it I first thought about all the ways you could be sneaky with it. But I think the spirit is good and if the people in the league have a gentlemen's agreement to use it in the way in which it was intended it might be okay.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I don't know if you can game it that well. If you intentionally leave an obvious keeper off, everyone will know what you are doing and prepare accordingly.

Comment

My guess is that the idea is to allow a team to re-pick a keeper if someone has a serious injury between the keeper deadline date and the draft, which makes some sense.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          My guess is that the idea is to allow a team to re-pick a keeper if someone has a serious injury between the keeper deadline date and the draft, which makes some sense.
          Yes....that has often been a killer over the years. Could probably just have that rule instead of the whole mulligan.
          Last edited by harmon; 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

There's that, there's also "hey it looks like everyone else is keeping their aces, maybe I should keep mine after all".

I don't think there's a way to abuse it that you couldn't figure out by looking carefully at each team's roster and keepers, I just don't want to have to do that.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Not to criticize, but that format really makes planning very difficult. And it would be strategic to intentionally leave off one of your better keepers in order to throw everyone off.

I don't think I'd like that rule.
              No problem. There are Mulligan strategies in play. It is part of our game.

One of the other owners is convinced that I am going to use my mulligan to drop Goldschmidt. I was contemplating cutting Goldschmidt and then bringing back Goldschmidt just to mess with him a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                There's that, there's also "hey it looks like everyone else is keeping their aces, maybe I should keep mine after all".

I don't think there's a way to abuse it that you couldn't figure out by looking carefully at each team's roster and keepers, I just don't want to have to do that.
                I play with sharks, if there was a way to abuse it, it would have been abused once. Then that loophole would have been closed up.

Most of the guys play hard, but fair. We want each others best, but still be gentlemen about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  Yup. This is what I was getting at.

Comment

Please look at post #27. Any comments or criticisms?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Please look at post #27. Any comments or criticisms?
                      Like your entire team except for the F rookies. Only question mark for me is Goldschmidt. Nice value in the rest.

Comment

I think you have a good solid base but I doubt you can afford any trusted saves and still build out your roster well. The pitching should be strong, the power is solid, you have some steals.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          Like your entire team except for the F rookies. Only question mark for me is Goldschmidt. Nice value in the rest.
                          Thanks for your comments.

I agree that my F contracts are not very good. I had to trade the good ones last year to make a run (fell just short) for 1st place.

We can slot these anywhere during our reserve draft. I will put them in my last two reserve pick slots. My hope is that the Brewers trade Cory Ray to another NL team this year. Diaz to the Marlins in the Yelich trade hoping he gets a shot in 2019.

I also agree with you on Goldschmidt. I bounce back and fourth everyday keep don't keep. Today is keep.

My thinking is I will not get him back for $50 once Blackmon, Votto, and Harper are off the boards. It drops down to Rendon and Murphy. $1922 are left and not enough players to go around. Adding the extra $50 while a big boost in salary still puts me in last place with money.

If none of the top hitters go for more than $50, I will have guessed wrong. If they all do, I will have guessed correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                            I think you have a good solid base but I doubt you can afford any trusted saves and still build out your roster well. The pitching should be strong, the power is solid, you have some steals.
                            Thanks BigJon. I agree with you that I cannot afford "trusted saves." I will have to resist the urge to not reach for that 18 closer if one would come up early. Most of the good ones will be $25-$30. Wade Davis in Colorado is the one that I think could go under $20. I need to pass and look to trade for saves around the All Star break.

I am one that likes to go into an auction with a closer. I always buy a second one at auction.

I actually traded a $25 Davis so I would not be tempted to keep him. He did not make cut list and is back in the auction.

This post is a good reminder to not reach for those front line closers.

Comment

Working...
                            X